Running with my dawg. (Read 414 times)

Beware, batbear...

I'd like to enjoy running with my pooch, but he's a real pain in the ass. He's a border collie mix, but he just doesn't seem to get it. I don't mind him stopping along the way to do "the business." But he takes up every scent we come across. Do any of you runner/dog whisperers know of any tricks or special collars/harnesses that might make running with my dog more bearable?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

gooddogs74

Check out gentle leaders, easy walk harnesses and prong collars. All have suitability depending on the temperament of the dog and the situation. GL's and Easy Walks are both made by premier pet products.

Loves the outdoors

I understand! My dog has taken to doing his business 2x on some of our runs - gah! Running with a baggy already makes it a little annoying, but the pulling on the lead for a big sniff at different times makes me grumpy enough not to want to run with him. However, he looks at me with those big brown eyes and he comes every time. I think my dog just needs more training on how to behave when we're running, so I'm trying to work on that and hope he improves some more. We both love the trail runs when he can be off lead Smile

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Imminent Catastrophe

I have the opposite problem. Daisy pulls me like a sled dog the whole way. If I was on rollerblades I'd get no exercise at all. I think it's a matter of leash training. If the dog first learns to heel properly, he'll get the idea. You need to be alpha-dog.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016