Winter Running Shoes (Read 916 times)

First of all, I'm new into the sport of running and plan on trying to run outside this winter, as much as possible atleast. I live in Mid-Michigan, so snow will be a factor. I currently run in Asics Kayano 13s, which will be retiring soon, and I've been looking at some winter clothing, but should I get a different type of shoe for winter? Should I wear thicker socks win running in the winter?

Any input would be appreciated.

2015 Goals 
    1800 Logged Miles

13.1 under 1:31:00 1:29:52 11/8/15

Sub 3:20 Marathon (3:31:42 Steamtown Marathon - stomach issues)

PR
    5K 18:57.84 (5/31/2014)
    8K 32:45.96 (3/15/2015)

10K 42:22.55 (9/2/2013)

10 Mile 1:09:20 (8/23/2014)

1/2 Marathon 1:29:52.6 (11/8/2015)

Marathon 3:27:11 (10/12/2014) Chicago Marathon IT Band issues late in the race

Running History - Started running in July 2009

5 - 2 Milers / 55 - 5K's / 1 - 6K / 5 - 8K's / 4 - 5 Milers / 4 - 10K's / 1 - 10 miler / 16 - 1/2 Marathons / 5 - Marathons

Running Equipment: Garmin 910XT, Brooks Launch

redleaf

I generally don't get very cold so I don't change my shoes or socks from what I usually wear. I'm in Toronto Canada though so snow is always a factor. For the most part it really depends on the level of plowing done Smile

You can also get yak-trax or something similar to help keep your feet under you. I think some people modify older shoes by adding some screws to the bottom.

Remember to get a really bright shell or touque or something too - visibility can be difficult in winter.

MTA: I am only going into my second winter of running though. I'm sure more experienced people will chime in Smile

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Right on Hereford...

In my opinion, this shoe is the ultimate for winter/snow/slush/mud/cold conditions:

Saucony ProGrid Razor

Waterproof upper with built-in gaitor and zip closure. If your feet hate the cold and wet, this is your shoe. I was running through freezing mud puddles and my feet stayed warm and dry the whole time. Yes, it's a trail shoe, but it works just fine when the roads are covered in snow or slush.

A review:

http://blog.runningwarehouse.com/?p=447

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lucky, I'm over in West MI, if that tells you anything about the sorts of snow/cold conditions I run in (plus it's a semi-rural area without adequate plowing a lot of the time).

I have worn some Winter-specific shoes and currently have a pair of Gore-Tex trail shoes.  Personally...I prefer wearing a slightly heavier Smartwool sock (I wear thinner Smartwool socks the rest of the time) and when roads are bad a pair of YakTrax.  I haven't found any other combo to work better than that.  This will be my 4th Winter running outdoors.

Depending upon the depth and texture of the snow you may be able to get away with a trail shoe without any extra traction devices.  Some do pretty well if the snow is sort of heavy and wet.  But others will still be slippery and some tread will actually collect snow, which really does not make for a good run.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

yeah, you can look for a trail shoe similar to the running shoes you like, the advantage being you know how your foot feels in them.  I run in Brooks Adrenelines a lot and they make a trail version that feels almost the same but provides a little more traction and better waterproofing. 

But Dakotas looks like it offers much better protection from slush than the ones I use. 

mikeymike

I go same shoes / socks winter and summer.

I too find that visibility is the key to winter running since most winter runs for me are in the pre-dawn darkness.

Runners run

ymmv

I followed RunToWin's online instructions and put screws in the bottom of some old shoes. Even though I used round-headed slotted screws (which i had onhand)  instead of the hex shaped ones (probably way better traction), they were just great for running on ice. I recall driving to work one morning after running on miles of ice, and i was very surprised at how slippery the road felt for my car.
                  I went the cheap route for my winter weather shoes.  I took an old pair of my regular trainers and drove about 18 3/8 inch sheet metal screws (the ones with the raised hexagonal heads) into the bottom of each one.  They handle snow, slush, and even smooth ice great.  I don't know if I would do 20 miles in them, but for your occasional ugly weather 8 miler they work great.......and sound cool when you occasionally hit a patch of bare street.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

I followed RunToWin's online instructions and put screws in the bottom of some old shoes. Even though I used round-headed slotted screws (which i had onhand)  instead of the hex shaped ones (probably way better traction), they were just great for running on ice. I recall driving to work one morning after running on miles of ice, and i was very surprised at how slippery the road felt for my car.

Bah, you beat me by about 10 seconds 

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

I'll have to check out those Saucony's. My feet always freeze in the winter. Those mesh uppers are great for the summer, but not too great for the Dec through Feb months here in the midwest.

xor

For those of us who live in places that will have areas of ice mixed with areas of wet/muddy/not-ice, beware of yaktrax and screw shoes.  They are not fun for long areas of pavement.

Anyway, I like my adrenaline ASRs.  These are basically regular Brooks Adrenalines (a stability shoe, but not as beefy as a Kayano... the Brooks Kayano-like shoe is the Trance) with a bit more weatherproofing.

That said, it rarely gets super duper cold in Seattle and not much snow, except for last year, so I'm usually in my normal shoes.  But I have to rotate a couple more pairs because it is soooo wet and icky outside Dec-Mar.

Prince of Fatness

I use the screw shoes too and they work well.  Usually I'll only need them a couple of times a year.  About the only other thing I'll do is double up my socks if it is real cold and I am going to be out for a while.

Not at it at all. 

I live in Wisconsin so our winters are pretty mild (obviously) but I use the same type of shoe in the winter and summer.  I do have to wear gloves sometimes and I've found that an old pair of socks work well.

Sorry my experience probably isn't that relevant but living in the "San Diego of the Midwest" does have its advantages.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

xor

I live in Wisconsin so our winters are pretty mild (obviously)... but living in the "San Diego of the Midwest" does have its advantages.

Island Boy asks the following with sincerity.

Really?

Island Boy asks the following with sincerity.

Really?

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I guess multiple feet of snow is considered "mild."