Pre-Dawn Running: Wildlife Protection? (Read 243 times)

tightlaces

tightlaces

I generally hit the pavement at 5:00am, well before the sun is up. Since the beginning of my run borders a state park, I snap/clap/whistle in order to alert any wildlife that I am approaching. This morning, however, I startled a group of coyotes/wolves which began howling. Although I was probably not in any real danger, being unable to determine the location and size of the pack was unsettling.

Do you run with any forms of wildlife protection?  Is it necessary?

Feeling the growl again

It would help to know your general location.  That makes a big difference in the threat level one can expect from wildlife.  For example there are limited locations where what you ran into could actually have been wolves.

Runners have been taken down by coyotes but it is very rare.  Whether you feel you need protection is a personal threat level assessment.  Some people carry pepper spray.  A few people carry firearms but frankly unless you are running into grizzlies that seems overkill.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

tightlaces

tightlaces

Given that I run in Virginia, you are right; they were probably coyotes. It seems like my mind got the best of me this morning. Every creak in the dark always seems more terrifying than it really is Smile

Thanks for the input!

Feeling the growl again

Given that I run in Virginia, you are right; they were probably coyotes. It seems like my mind got the best of me this morning. Every creak in the dark always seems more terrifying than it really is Smile

Thanks for the input!

Unless it was a wolf/coyote hybrid, it is extremely, extremely unlikely that you would run into a wolf in Virginia.  Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I'm 99% certain there are not resident wolves anywhere close to you.  You'd be able to tell the difference; wolves are extremely large, with adults around 100 lbs.  Coyotes are more in the 30-50lb range.  Coyotes tend to make some awfully weird wailing/yapping noises as well.  Pre-dawn hours are a very common time to encounter them traveling and they do well in suburban areas.

Frankly I wouldn't be concerned, I encounter them off and on, but I'm a 150lb male.  A small pepper spray canister would suffice to put your mind at ease and would also come in handy against ill-intent two-legged predators more likely to cause you harm when you are out running in the dark.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

MoBramExam

You should probably be more concerned about crossing paths with a skunk.

Raccoons are the worst.  Those things are vicious.

I live in Wisconsin, where our wolf and bear (black bear) population have greatly increased over the last 5-10 years.   I've seen many bears and coyotes since I usually start my runs in the 4:40am range most mornings as well.  Most of my long runs also take place at our cottage up North, so wildlife is abundant.   I've seen wolves while hunting, but I am yet to see one while running.  Personally, I don't get too alarmed since they usually just bolt as soon as you see them.   I don't carry any type of pepperspray or firearm, however, running with Pepper spray has crossed my mind in spring when the bears are coming out of hibernation and dropping their cubs.   They get pretty courageous when they are frantically looking for food for a few weeks there.

Instead of yelling and clapping, I've seen other runners up there that just attach a small bell to their shoes as well.  Maybe that could be another option for you.  I think you would just block the sound out after you wear it a few times.

tightlaces

tightlaces

I would have never thought of a bell! Perfect. It certainly seems like the less exhausting option. Trying to run while clapping or whistling adds a bit more challenge to my run than I'm ready for in the AM.

Been running forever before the sun comes up. This morning a fawn was the closest encounter we had. Skunks or dogs would be my only concern. Coyotes we've seen avoid humans.

Get off my porch

Mostly I encounter rabbits. But they can be pretty vicious too.

Dave

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Dave wins the thread.

Leah, mother of dogs

Evolving body parts

I often see deer on my trail runs, once I came across a mouflon. They are beautiful and they're one of the many reasons I like trail running (although not doing it lately for various reasons).

But one winter in pretty thick snow coverage I got lost in the woods and off the trail. Crossed the path of a boar family. I was terrified and immediately froze motionless behind a tree. Adults in front of the pack and in the back and a lot of piglets in the middle. About 20 of them in total. What I hear is they can be quite deadly when protecting their young. I waited until they had casually trotted out of sight - by then I was shivering with icy sweat.

In spite of this, I just take my chances and hope not to get lost again.

Skunks are hard to see at night.  I used to run at night with a puny little not very bright flashlight.  Then I came within a few inches of kicking a skunk.  Now I use a much brighter flashlight.

I run in the National Forest in Wisconsin a lot.  I've seen bear sign, wolf tracks, and coyote tracks.  But not the animals that made the tracks.  A horseback rider told me that she had seen 16 bears so far that year (this was in June).  Bears, wolves, and coyotes hide from people, at least running people in Northern Wisconsin.

Arimathea

Tessa

Wild boar are vicious. You were right to be cautious and to take cover, and lucky they didn't go after you. Pigs are smart. And they're omnivores.

For the OP, almost certainly what you heard were coyotes, however coyotes on the East Coast apparently do have a fairly high amount of wolf DNA in them -- much more than the little guys on the West Coast that are mostly dangerous if you're a cat, dog, or small child. (Or a bunny rabbit.)

The dilemma in my area is this: wear bells to alert bears that a human is approaching and reduce the chance of startling them, or stay quiet because noise is likely to attract the attention of a mountain lion? We have more mountain lions than bears in southern California.

JPF

The dilemma in my area is this: wear bells to alert bears that a human is approaching and reduce the chance of startling them, or stay quiet because noise is likely to attract the attention of a mountain lion? We have more mountain lions than bears in southern California.

I'm not sure mountain lions are worth worrying about too much.  If one wants to get you, it will before you know it's there.  Are they attracted to noise?  They'll probably know you're there with or without a bell.

On the bright side, there just aren't that many attacks.  This site lists them all since 1986: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/lion/attacks.html

There's now a cougar in Griffith Park in L.A.