You can't always get what you want... (Read 773 times)

When it comes to the Beatles and the Stones, I've always thought you had to really be for one or the other. Either you were a Beatles-guy/gal or a Stones-guy/gal. You might appreciate both, but at the core you're either a Beatles fan OR a Stones fan. For me, it's the Beatles. I concur with Jeff. Simply too much talent - collectively and individually - to ignore. Any discussion of American music without at least a passing reference to Johnny Cash would be sadly remiss, IMHO. According to USAToay (2005), the list of greatest American bands would look like this, for what it's worth: 20. Bon Jovi 19. The Replacements 18. Nirvana 17. The Beach Boys 16. Dave Mathew's Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd (tie) 15. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band and Creedence Clearwater Revival (tie) 14. The Ramones 13. KISS 12. Metallica 11. The Allman Brothers Band and Fleetwood Mac (tie) 10. R.E.M. 9. The Doors 8. Queensryche 7. The Grateful Dead 6. Guns N' Roses 5. Journey 4. The Eagles 3. Van Halen 2. Aerosmith 1. Pearl Jam
      Including Irish band U2 and make the list UK instead of British, I would go with Beatles > Zeppelin > U2 > Pink Floyd > Stones > The Who
      Eh, U2 aint UK either. Carry on.. MTA: The Who adds some class to that lineup though. I met a few of these guys a while back (i'll see if i can send in a few pics)
      Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Eh, U2 aint UK either. Carry on..
        Good point. How 'bout bands from the British Isles and surrounding areas. Blush (Damn, I'm 1/4 Irish. I should remember these things).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Good point. How 'bout bands from the British Isles and surrounding areas. Blush (Damn, I'm 1/4 Irish. I should remember these things).
          Wink
          Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

1. Pearl Jam
            W.T.F. I hate PJ. Not enough plaid flannel in the world to like Eddie Vedder and his incoherent mumbling.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Queen. How has no one mentioned Queen? Greatest Brit rock band EVAH!!! No discussion. Freddie Mercury was awesome...RIP.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

W.T.F. I hate PJ. Not enough plaid flannel in the world to like Eddie Vedder and his incoherent mumbling.
                To each his (or her) own. Big grin

Tick tock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

When it comes to the Beatles and the Stones, I've always thought you had to really be for one or the other. Either you were a Beatles-guy/gal or a Stones-guy/gal. You might appreciate both, but at the core you're either a Beatles fan OR a Stones fan.
                  Quite true. I appreciate the Stones, but I am a Beatles guy all the way
                  According to USAToay (2005), the list of greatest American bands would look like this, for what it's worth: 20. Bon Jovi 19. The Replacements 18. Nirvana 17. The Beach Boys 16. Dave Mathew's Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd (tie) 15. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band and Creedence Clearwater Revival (tie) 14. The Ramones 13. KISS 12. Metallica 11. The Allman Brothers Band and Fleetwood Mac (tie) 10. R.E.M. 9. The Doors 8. Queensryche 7. The Grateful Dead 6. Guns N' Roses 5. Journey 4. The Eagles 3. Van Halen 2. Aerosmith 1. Pearl Jam
                  I'm horrified by that list. No so much the contents -- I think most are very deserving. But the order? Is Confused the emoticon for WTF? Journey? Really? And I like Pearl Jam more than Nirvana, but Nirvana is way more important/influential. And people always discount the Beach Boys. Everyone forgets that the real competition in the mid 60's wasn't the Beatles and Stones -- it was the Beatles and Beach Boys (that is until Brian Wilson spiraled into depression when he realized there was no way he could top Sgt. Pepper ) One other thing, and this is nitpciky. When there's a tie, the list still has to skip one. i.e. 10. R.E.M. 11(t). Allman Brothers 11(t) Fleetwood Mac 13 Metallica I hate when people don't do this right. Speaking of which, aren't Mick Fleetwood and John McVie (the Fleetwood and Mac in Fleetwood Mac. Get it?) British. And isn't Dave Matthews South African. More Nitpicks, I know.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

HOSS1961

I like everything mentioned...did anyone mention "Pink Floyd"?
                    HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Queen. How has no one mentioned Queen? Greatest Brit rock band EVAH!!! No discussion. Freddie Mercury was awesome...RIP.
                      Aww shit, I have to fix my list. Best bands of the British Isles: Beatles > Led Zep > U2 > Pink Floyd > Queen > Stones > Who MTA: my point still stands that the American bands would have a hard time cracking this list. The Who are the weak link.

Lazy idiot

I'm horrified by that list. No so much the contents -- I think most are very deserving. But the order? Is Confused the emoticon for WTF? Journey? Really? And I like Pearl Jam more than Nirvana, but Nirvana is way more important/influential.
                        I'm a PJ guy myself, but I agree with you on Nirvana. Despite my irrational love of Pearl Jam, I would include some other bands higher than them. The Beach Boys, Nirvana, Aerosmith... to name a few.
                        Speaking of which, aren't Mick Fleetwood and John McVie (the Fleetwood and Mac in Fleetwood Mac. Get it?) British. And isn't Dave Matthews South African. More Nitpicks, I know.
                        Dave himself is South African, I believe, but the band was formed in Virginia, so I'm willing to allow them on an American list. I don't know where Fleetwood Mac was formed, but I'm pretty sure you're correct that McVie and Fleetwood are both British. Any help from across the pond, here?

Tick tock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't know where Fleetwood Mac was formed, but I'm pretty sure you're correct that McVie and Fleetwood are both British. Any help from across the pond, here?
                          Well, I posed it as a question, but sarcastically. I know for a fact they're both British, along with keyboardist Christie McVie. But Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks are both American and are the most well known members, so I guess that's how a group that started out as a British blues outfit somehow became the 11th best American band.

Lazy idiot

Well, I posed it as a question, but sarcastically. I know for a fact they're both British, along with keyboardist Christie McVie. But Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks are both American and are the most well known members, so I guess that's how a group that started out as a British blues outfit somehow became the 11th best American band.
                            I guess "Buckingham Ni" just didn't have the same ring to it, eh?

Tick tock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I guess "Buckingham Ni" just didn't have the same ring to it, eh?
                              How 'bout Nicksingham Buck? Cool

My dogs are fast, not me

Ooh...Aerosmith, most definitely. And I know it's not cool to like U2, but they would definitely make that list.
                                OMG. I didn't realize I'm uncool. Cry I've wasted the last 28 years laboring under the delusion that I was cool.

Robin