Drinking water during races... ITS HARD (Read 1019 times)

evtish

Good question.........yes, I have the same problem. I'm a newbie so now I see how it works. I've only run 1 race, a 5k, and although I knew I didn't need water, my mouth was really dry at 2 miles so I grabbed a cup from the table to wet my mouth a little - of course most ended up all over my face and shirt Tongue After reading this, I don't feel like such a moron.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

To post a picture: Find the url: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41vNqPfoQaL._AA280_.jpg Highlight it with your cursor. Click on the image button, which looks like this: Then you will get an image:
        Thanks, Trent. I did not know that.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I did a long run today (well, long for me), and I stopped twice -- once to ask some people to borrow a screwdriver to pry a gumball out of my shoe, and then when something funny happened to my watch to fiddle with it. I noticed that I felt a lot better when I started up again each time. I think I'll walk the water stops if I try a marathon (which I hope to do), and hope they help make me feel refreshed like that. Plus I tried to drink water running at a 5K once, and just spilled it all over, and haven't tried that again. Of course, I've not long experience, and I'm gonna be a slow marathoner anyway -- the seconds won't matter to me. I did read that Yannis Kouros walked a lot on his races (which were long races).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Thanks for all the advice guys... I think i like the straw advice. I will try that on my next long run. As for the beer advice... I was never good at the whole shotgunning/kegstands.. i guess i have to learn how to relax the jaw I think i have refused to walk in my past runs becuase some sort of pride thing... I like the feeling knowing that i have ran (or in my case jogged) the entire distance. but in a marathon or half marathon i know safety such as hydration comes first and may walk the water stands if the straw doesnt work.
            http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com

Imminent Catastrophe

Uh, the straw thing...I've never seen that, it sounds like an ultra thing, like, 50 to 100-milers and those are a different thing entirely. In a road race marathon I'd just walk the water stops, it will only cost you a few seconds and in the end is probably a wash.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

milkbaby

http://news.runtowin.com/2007/08/09/how-do-you-drink-water-during-a-race.html
                I agree 100% with Blaine, so I thought it would be worthwhile to quote his advice and the picture again... Also, practice, practice, practice! Not just practicing how to hold the cup, but practice how to drink and run at the same time. This is not usually something that you're born with, but once you learn how, it is easy. Of course, a few seconds might not matter if we're talking about chess or bowling, but even marathon races record your time down to the second, so to me it matters! Also, I'm sure there are people who have missed running a Boston marathon qualifier by a second or two who wish they'd cut a second or two somewhere off of their time...
                "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah. Like PerfesserR said. Straw? I have never ever seen this and it sounds highly awkward.

The shirtless wonder

The straw technique really isn't awkward at all. It's quite nice -- try it! If I don't use a straw I spill 90% all over myself. That's OK with water but Gatorade is sticky! I only use a straw during races. I use a Fuel Belt for long runs and there's no need for a straw with water bottles. Greg
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

For longer runs without water, I usually just carry a sports bottle with a nozzle. I open the nozzle and suck down some fluid, then close the nozzle. Sometimes in races, I will carry one of these and refill it at the water stations, which usually works well. I would worry about the straw getting trashed or lost in my pockets between stops. Plus, with the sports bottle and the cup pinching technique, I have never felt like I needed anything else. And I usually only take fluids in HM distance or longer, when my pace is just slow enough that it is easier and my time on course long enough when it is necessary.
                        I guess the best thing to do is trial and error. I dont plan on running my first hm until october of this year. Im sure a could do one now but I would like to be well prepared. Ill look in my local sports shop and see what i can find.
                        http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com
                          I prefer to drink on the run. It's a habit I got into very early in my running that took some practicing to get used to. Now I don't even stop to drink on training runs, although going to that extreme is probably a little silly. However, when you get to the point where 20-30 seconds for a half marathon becomes a big deal for you, it pays to learn how to drink on the run. Just for the fun of it sometime in practice, ask somebody to start running away from you while you stand still and count to 10. It's farther than you might think, heh? Now imgagine that being multiplied by 3 or 4 water stops. You won't want to stop anymore...30-40 seconds is very, very difficult to make up against someone we are equally matched against.
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                          milkbaby

Don't discount the drinking straw method! It is a very ingenius method for drinking on the run. What you do is take a flexible drinking straw and cut the long end down to about 5 inches or a little longer than the depth of the cups they will use at the aid stations. Then you carry the straw with you by sticking it in your waistband, sewing a loop of fabric as a holder on your shorts or shirt, making a loop on your hat or visor, what-have-you. Then when you get to the aid station, use the "crimp the top of the cup closed" technique Blaine posted a picture of (which I dittoed just above), but instead of gulping the liquid from one end of the cup, insert your straw and sip it from the straw. Many people swear they get less spillage this way and can drink more. The main problems with the straw are carrying it and making sure you don't throw it away with a cup during your race. I still prefer to just crimp the top of the cups closed and drink out of the formed spout.
                            "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

The shirtless wonder

Apparently I like to use a straw because I'm dumb. That must be it. Greeeeg (oops can't spell my name...because I'm dumb)