Why are 5K so popular and prevalent ? (Read 1186 times)

xor

Halves are my favorite distance BY FAR.

But, as has been said by others, it's the race with the inferiority complex... the only one that seems to be named as part of (and therefore 'less than') something else. It's just the name, though.

I don't puke after halves like I might after a 5k.  And unlike a full, I'm done a lot quicker and I haven't destroyed a big piece of my day.

Lots of my maniac friends "graduate" to ultras if/when they get tired of marathons.  Not me.  I'm about to start running more halves.

mikeymike

I love half marathons.  It's the distance you can race best off of pure base training.  You need to be really fit to really race one well, but it's short enough you don't truly trash yourself.

Runners run

This isn't the first time I've heard something like this, and I'll confess that I don't really get it.  Would it change your mind if they called it something different, instead of half of something?  I mean, the marathon is really just a half-50-miler (more or less) if you think about it that way, so...

It's a race distance, and one that's reasonably prevelant.   Reason enough for me to do one.

Good pts ... thats why I put the "??" after my statement as not really sure.  but still if I am going 13.1. I am going the full distance.  half marathons are the fastest growing things so a lot of people must like them and Race organizers get a much larger turn out for their marathons.

just curious if Halfers only get the bug to go the full marathon or are they content with Half marathon err 13.1 miler.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Slo

Good pts ... thats why I put the "??" after my statement as not really sure.  but still if I am going 13.1. I am going the full distance.  half marathons are the fastest growing things so a lot of people must like them and Race organizers get a much larger turn out for their marathons.

just curious if Halfers only get the bug to go the full marathon or are they content with Half marathon err 13.1 miler.

Buckeye

For me.....I like to race. I may not be out in front of the pack but I like to give all that I got and I've found that Marathons leave me wiped for to long......I found out with this 20k that I was still "race ready"......Actually, that same day, just 1 hour later, I ran a 5k and felt pretty spunky. (Probaly didn't run the 20k hard enough).

JimR

what gave them the bug to run the half?

an amazing likeness

I'm not the experienced racer that many folks here are, however for me, I like the 1/2 as a challenging distance to push a fast, even race pace, endurance over a distance -- I generally try to use a 10mile pace and try to hang onto it.  It is a hard distance to race, but not a killer. Long enough to be work, and worth the effort of a all the race logistics (sign-up, show-up). Whereas the full marathon is about surviving to the end (for me).  I like that the 1/2 fits into my standard training fairly well, and I can arrive ready to go with little change in training, whereas for the full marathon, I need to be able to work one of the plans for 12 weeks. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

I'm not the experienced racer that many folks here are, however for me, I like the 1/2 as a challenging distance to push a fast, even race pace, endurance over a distance -- I generally try to use a 10mile pace and try to hang onto it.  It is a hard distance to race, but not a killer. Long enough to be work, and worth the effort of a all the race logistics (sign-up, show-up). Whereas the full marathon is about surviving to the end (for me).  I like that the 1/2 fits into my standard training fairly well, and I can arrive ready to go with little change in training, whereas for the full marathon, I need to be able to work one of the plans for 12 weeks. 

+1 I love halfys/halfies too. Although, I have delusions of grandure and tend to go all out and get more trashed with a half than a full, which I am very cautious about. Too much mental and emotional pressure with a full.

BTW, I'm doing a 5K 7 days after my full, I should have my head examined, or at least my purple toe. Think I'm going to drink a couple of beers and have DH take a hot paper clip to the nail.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                TammyinGP

gee, all this talk of a marathon wiping you out, being too much pressure, etc. . . . is intimidating me for my upcoming first marathon.

I think I'll just run two half marathons instead. That seems more do-able for some reason.

Tammy

A marathon does not feel like racing in my opinion, so far. It's but a test of your ability to endure the distance, not the speed.

One can recover from a truly HARD 5k in three days time, and have the ability to race a truly HARD 5k the next weekend.

I do miss not having as many 10k's that were the classic distance in times past though.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

gee, all this talk of a marathon wiping you out, being too much pressure, etc. . . . is intimidating me for my upcoming first marathon.

I think I'll just run two half marathons instead. That seems more do-able for some reason.

Not that bad .. at least not as bad aas I expected.  Legs were hurting for 4 days pretty good but after that i think the next 10 days were OK but tried best to ease into things.  14 days after Marathon I ran a hard 5k without any negative residuals.  Week 3 post marathon I am pretty much back into the swing of things.

Heck Trent ran a 40 miler seven days post marathon and others run one every week or two.  As long as you prepare properly its not that bad

Its really just more a long term commitment thing with 12 - 18 week training and then the recovery phase 2 - 4 weeks.

Good luck on your Marathon.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Heck Trent ran a 40 miler seven days post marathon and others run one every week or two.  As long as you run really easy, its not that bad

I

Duh..huh.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

xor

what gave them the bug to run the half?

A casual meet up and too much wine.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just recently saw how in Lore, he talks about "short ultramarathons" as being ones 50mi or less, I think. Talk about an inferiority complex Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

I just recently saw how in Lore, he talks about "short ultramarathons" as being ones 50mi or less, I think. Talk about an inferiority complex Smile

Lore was never as good as Data, though he wanted to be and definitely had an evil inferiority complex.

"short ultra".  Yeah.  BUT.  My 50 milers were near-death experiences.  I'll stick to 50ks and be quite happy to hear them referred to as "not really an ultra".  Yeah, whatever.

Anyway, next weekend I'm running a 28.8.  That's the Tom Cruise of ultras.

Heh.

Lore was never as good as Data, though he wanted to be and definitely had an evil inferiority complex,

HA!

Ricky