Starting running again (Read 55 times)

I'm turning 23 in May. I used to be a semi- decent runner. Never the best, but my last year in high school I pulled off a 19:30 5K. I was, without a doubt, among the slowest on the team, but I did it because I liked it. It felt good to get out there and pound the pavement as a means of stress relief in what was otherwise an overwhelming time of life.

Sadly when I got to college my priorities changed...my life changed. First I put on the standard freshman 15. Ok, whatever. Then I started lifting to improve confidence and feel stronger (discovered quickly the runner guys are never the "sexiest" at the bars or frat meets.)

But then....I sunk into that lil' sweet spot where you're not sure if you're tired or just lazy, ate too much crap, smoked too much pot, drank too much and once I dropped out and faced the stressful working world I even smoked cigs for a year to help both stave psychological stress and the effects of the 20+ year old metabolic drop. (Bad, bad idea - don't do it. Luckily I vape now but I don't even wanna do that forever).

Long story short, I'm not overweight, never was, I'm skinny-ish but it's definitely not the same skinny it used to be, more of a skinnyfat that has the strain of repeated weight gain and loss without exercise painfully evident in how I move, how I feel and my clothes fit.

Last time I ran a decent distance was a half marathon at Xmas 2013 / New year 2014 (1:45:00, judge me).

If I start running again - NOW - knowing what I know, and stay consistent, how much am I going to be up against the forces of time and crappy lifestyle choices? Am I still young enough that I could rock it again and even supercede previous performance? I've smoked like 200 packs of cigs at most, never been overweight as I mentioned and I've read about LIFETIME smokers who turned their lives around.

Thoughts and words of wisdom to offer? Thanks guys!!!

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

WHOA, there is no such thing as smoking too much pot, lets just clear that up right now!!!!!!! Dude, relax, seriously, you're 22 you'll be fine. Bedsides, the force is with you, not against, haven't you heard. Listen, start running again...take it easy at first, then build mileage. It's really simple, don't over think it.  Now, you axed if your still young enough...I'm not sure...22 isn't exactly a spring chicken, but not over the hill either. You should be able to haul ass in no time, providing that you are going to stick with it and at least put in SOME effort. Oh, and get back in school, if not full time, at least take a few classes. Stressful working world....hmmm....I'm not really sure what that is. My job is awesome, and I love it.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Start off small and slow.  Just keep plug'n.  Once you've hacked up enough lung, the healing will begin.

Welcome back into the fold.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do