When the big dogs come out to play... (Read 384 times)

probably not fast enough

I just started running late last year, so I'm far too slow to "race."  I have one race next year I want to run for several reasons, and for me, a big challenge will be to bone up enough maturity to go out there and face being a slow poke.  I guess that in a way, it's easier to win than it is to lose, so for me, I'll just have to find a way to "win" despite coming in at the back of the pack.  No big revelation here, eh?  People do it all the time.

Latent Runner

I just started running late last year, so I'm far too slow to "race."  I have one race next year I want to run for several reasons, and for me, a big challenge will be to bone up enough maturity to go out there and face being a slow poke.  I guess that in a way, it's easier to win than it is to lose, so for me, I'll just have to find a way to "win" despite coming in at the back of the pack.  No big revelation here, eh?  People do it all the time.

Just think about things this way, you'll "win" because you'll be a hell of a lot faster than those on the sidelines, and doubly so those with their butts still siting on the sofa.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

from a "back of the packer"….  that's where all the fun is!  One of the funniest shirts I've ever seen in a race was, "Please God, let there be someone behind me to read this".  and there was…  me.  don't let being slow deter you from racing.  get out there and you will be surprised.

Tammarin.....

Mmmmm...beer

Just depends on the race.  I've been pretty consistent winning or at least placing in my AG in local races, even took 2nd OA in a small race.  But then the are other races where I don't even crack top 10 for my AG.  There was a 5k down by my brother's house that I only found out about the day after, or I would have run it since I was there visiting, it was only $6!  So just for fun I looked up the results, top 3 in my AG (35-39) were all 17min!  Crazy.

Sounds like the NE Grand Prix series is no joke.  My club does a Grand Prix series as well, but our talent pool is a lil shallower.  I took 2nd place for my AG last year, should be 1st this year (my main competition is on deployment most of the year).

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

HermosaBoy

I do fairly well in most races, but as others have said it really depends on the race.

I can recall one race where I was 8th overall, but still 4th in my age group -- that was harsh...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Just last month I ran a 1:19 and 4th OA for a HM only to find out that the 2nd place guy (55) ran 1:16, dropping 3-4 min off his times from previous years. So I got 2nd in AG and age grade standings. Go figure!

NHLA

Shippo  37 is a good time.  what was the time for the 3rd place runner in your AG? That's your goal.

Running in the mts. on trails times are so much slower.  I won 50-59 ag today with a 39.

I think you need 500 or more runners to see where you stand in your AG. In small races not large enough sample size.

bap

No one is too slow to race and registering for one will help motivate you to train.

My sister "runs" 36 minutes for 5K but still really enjoys races.

Certified Running Coach
                  Crocked since 2013

Latent Runner

Shippo  37 is a good time.  what was the time for the 3rd place runner in your AG? That's your goal.

Running in the mts. on trails times are so much slower.  I won 50-59 ag today with a 39.

I think you need 500 or more runners to see where you stand in your AG. In small races not large enough sample size.

Thanks, I was reasonably pleased with the 37:24; as for the top guys in my (M50-59) AG:

1. 28:09 - 54 years old
                    2. 28:29 - 51 years old
                    3. 28:34 - 50 years old
                    4. 28:47 - 54 years old
                    5. 28:49 - 58 years old
                    6. 28:53 - 52 years old
                    7. 29:10 - 51 years old
                    8. 29:22 - 51 years old
                    9. 29:33 - 51 years old
                    10. 29:42 - 54 years old

As for the number of runners, the current stats show 2,028 total and 161 in the Men's 50-59 age group.  Yeah, pretty fast crowd for a 5-Mile race.  Smile

Congratulations on your AG win.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

NHLA

28 min for 3rd iis crazy fast.  That reminds me of running Bele Chere. Its the state 5k so all the fastest runners are there.

A truly humbling experience.

xhristopher

If you can forget about running for place and want to run for time it doesn't get much better than these races. There is always someone to chase or to push you.

At a recent 5k I ran (over 1,200 runners and with many "big dogs" in attendance), I ran a personal best 18:53 (18:50 chip time) and came in 98th overall, 4th in my AG.  I was pretty happy with my performance, but when I mentioned to my 11 year old daughter that I finished 98th, she said "I'm sorry you didn't do very well Dad, you'll do better next time."

Latent Runner

Yeah, that race was really fast, I'll be putting any thoughts of racing for place on hold until I can drop down to a more normal 160ish pounds for a 5' 8" runner (I'm currently hovering just over 190).  Funny thing about races here in New Hampshire, I've run a few smaller races and looked up a few more, and even those seem to attract a few studs (as my old middle school track coach used to call them).

A good example of a small local race (263 total finishers) and the level of competition is the Friendly Kitchen 5K, a race which benefits a facility I do some volunteer work with which provides for those in need of a good hot meal.  Last September's race, only my second 5K since 1979, was highlighted by some pretty fast "old guys" in that four of the top six were over 40, two were over 50.  Yeesh!

1. 16:25 - 20 years old
                            2. 16:45 - 48 years old
                            3. 16:53 - 22 years old
                            4. 18:16 - 49 years old
                            5. 18:52 - 52 years old

Fat old man PRs:

PDoe

Shipo,

Not sure where in NH you are but a good step for me was joining a local NH club and competing in the NH grand prix series. You get the a good range of abilities and can frequently get the satisfaction of scoring age-group points for your team.

Latent Runner

Shipo,

Not sure where in NH you are but a good step for me was joining a local NH club and competing in the NH grand prix series. You get the a good range of abilities and can frequently get the satisfaction of scoring age-group points for your team.

I live just east of Manchester (Massabesic area), and work in Concord.

Fat old man PRs: