What's your mantra/slogan(what do you think about during your run)? (Read 1210 times)

Lately when I'm struggling to hold my pace near the end of my run I have been imagining I'm in a race with the cocky son of pain in the butt at work that is really (i mean really) out of shape but goes the gym once a week and thinks he can out run anyone. I picture him catching up if I don't HTFU. It works every time.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

Unfortunately as a former Army officer, sometimes if I am on a hard run and having a tough day, those old Military cadenes will start to pop into my head.....drives me crazy, but it actually works...... Tongue Two old ladies were lying in bed First one looked at the other and said I'm gonna be an AirBorne Ranger Live a life of Excitement and Danger I'm can run to Boston just like this All the way to Boston just like this One - two - three - four ---- HEY One - Two - Three -- Four ----- Give me some more UUUURRRAAAAAA Sleepy UGH --- Stupid enough ----But it works--- I dont do it on purpose it just happen....My wife tells me that the Military really screwed with my mind......I think she's right.....Dead

Champions are made when no one is watching

You'll ruin your knees!

It doesn't always get worse, and relentless forward motion... more applicable as the distance grows...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Ringmaster

"I'm just eating up the miles . . ." Doesn't always feel true, but I concentrate on my feet eating feet . . . slow (!) and steady.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

On the big hills I usually start singing some army cadences and especially this one: My buddy's in a foxhole, they shot him in the head Medic sais he's wounded, but I know that he's dead Airboooooorne, Ranggeeeerrrs lead the way... Gets me through the tough parts ha ha
            jpnairn

straw man

Three simple words with the sound of one leading into the next. straight, tall, loose, straight, tall, loose....

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

"fast little feet I have fast little feet" But usually it's some insipid song or a tiny phrase of it, played on an infinite loop. Hey...by the way...The Pretenders' "Don't Get Me Wrong" has a perfect race pace cadence. And it's not a bad song.

Maggie & Molly

SBBC ~~~ Skinny Bitch By Christmas!!!!!!!! I have it on my hats. Big grin

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                  Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

who knows...

"I hate myself. I hate myself. I hate myself." It has nice measure Smile
                    "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
                      Running is generally a pretty mindless activity for me, if things are going well I just let my thoughts wander where they will. When things aren't going as well, that's when I really start talking to myself. Using mantras during training runs has helped me, it creates a conditioned response like Pavlov's dawgs. The appropriate one will generally autostart during races. C'mon, c'mon, c'mon.... is repeated through clenched teeth with my legs driving hard to crest a particularly challenging hill. Let's go, let's go, let's go... tells my legs (and arms if it's kick time) that it's time to pick up the pace. Every step's bringing you closer... helps keep my feet moving when the distance to home (or a marathon finish) seems too much in comparison to how I'm feeling. Steady and strong, steady and strong, steady and strong... means I'm in trouble, most likely fatigued to the point of losing my stride. Unlike the others, this one is repeated slowly and deliberately. It helps me to focus on my breathing and shortening my stride to keep my feet under me. These "conversations" seem to be in the third party, like my brain and legs aren't part of the same being. Sorta like Captain Kirk calling for warp speed and Mr Scott telling him to go to hell, "I'm giving you all I've got..."

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

My mind just wanders when training, and if I get into any kind of rhythmic breathing or chanting, chances are I'm pushing too hard for an easy run. In races, in the first half I consciously hold back a bit reminding myself to save it for the hard part. When it starts to get hard and it's toward the end, I think "It's time to throw it all in the fire and burn it hot." At the very last, when I'm trying to dig down and find that sprint gear, folks around me may look at me funny for grunting to myself "DIG... DIG".
                        Brandon
                          When I'm tired and I just need to chant: Mo-ti-va-tion, Mo-ti-va-tion... When I'm about to give up on a hill, either: Beat This B**ch, or Beat This Hill

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Towards the end of a long run (9 miles or so for me), I look at my Garmin and see how much farther I have to go. If it's 1.38 miles, I'll say, "138 clicks, 138 clicks, that's all!" That really helps me, for some reason. I like seeing how quickly the number decreases.

I run for Fried Chicken!

For a while, I was repeating the "The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials." mantra. But recently, my mind's been pretty blank when I run, just zoning out and running.

Prophet!

i'm...too sexy for this pace...too sexy for this pace..too sexy it hurts..