Holy Cow - shoes are evil? (Read 1291 times)

Scout7

Link went to nowhere.
    Try it now.
    C-R

Yup. Read that a while back. Seems to hit the right spot - training, training, training.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I've been doing much of my running barefoot for the past nine months. It has been a huge improvement. I used to have sore knees and IT band issues, which went away entirely when I stopped using normal running shoes.
        Modern homo sapien's feet have not evolved or were not designed to run long distances on asphalt and concrete.
        Everyone aways just assumes this, but have you ever actually tried it? Go run barefoot through a city, on concrete sidewalks. Then try running barefoot in the woods, on a natural surface. The city is much, much easier. Sidewalks are very nice for barefoot running. The reason for this is that the hardness of the surface doesn't matter much at all. When you're running in your natural form, your calves and feet are acting like huge shock absorbers. What's difficult is surfaces that are very sharp and uneven. Natural trails with rocks and thorns are much, much more challenging that city streets. Give your ancestors a little credit! They weren't always hunting mammoths on nicely manicured golf courses.
        Wearing properly fitted shoes seems to do the trick for most people.
        Does it really? Go read the "health and fitness" board and see all the injuries. More than half of runners suffer from chronic overuse injuries. I strongly suspect that many of those wouldn't have happened if people were not wearing big padded things on their feet to completely screw up their natural form. And yes, plenty of us Vibram FiveFingers owners can sound evangelical. Can't help it, I really think they're that good. Still, if you're just starting out it's actually much safer to go completely barefoot. Nothing beats immediate and complete feedback from your soles. With minimalist shoes you're more encouraged to overdo it. I honestly hate trying to run in "normal" running shoes now, because they all have high heels. I can immediately feel the way it changes my posture and after a long run the added impact is very obvious, especially on my knees and back.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        Scout7

Does it really? Go read the "health and fitness" board and see all the injuries. More than half of runners suffer from chronic overuse injuries. I strongly suspect that many of those wouldn't have happened if people were not wearing big padded things on their feet to completely screw up their natural form.
          The sentence in bold shows that the problems have nothing to do with shoes, but with proper training.
            I rarely wear shoes in everyday life- so I figure wearing running shoes for my 20 miles a week won't hurt. Plus I noticed that my feet actually LOOK better now that I am running- no more yucky looking heels.

Another Passion

Photobucket "The shoes of a Maasai warrior from northern Tanzania are seen as he dances in London's Trafalgar Square April 7, 2008. They survive on fresh blood drained from the neck of a living cow, they often run for days and nights on end to find water and their shoes are made from car tyres cut up and strapped to their feet. So running the London Marathon should be no problem for six Maasai warriors who have come to Britain from their village of Elaui in northern Tanzania as part of a campaign to raise money to find a vital water source." From: Reuters article on the Maasai warriors that ran the London Marathon

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The sentence in bold shows that the problems have nothing to do with shoes, but with proper training.
                That's a bit of a non-sequitur. I agree with you that it has everything to do with proper training. But shoes and form are important aspect of training, and in my opinion lots of people get these aspects wrong. If it has "nothing to do with shoes", then why bother spending money on specific running shoes at all? Avoiding "overuse" is not as simple as just running the proper number of miles. How you run those miles matters. Someone running all their miles on cambered roads may suffer debilitating overuse injuries in the muscles and joints that are forced to compensate for the slope. All I'm arguing is that many running shoes are like that cambered road, subtly changing your form and forcing some parts of your body to work harder than they otherwise would. Form matters, and shoes matter, and shoes have a profound affect on form. None of this is even debatable. We could certainly differ over how shoes and form matter, but surely you don't really believe they're irrelevant.
                Ed4

Barefoot and happy

"The shoes of a Maasai warrior from northern Tanzania are seen as he dances in London's Trafalgar Square April 7, 2008.
                  You'll notice there is no heel cushion, and the sole is very flexible. This is exactly what I want in a shoe. A similar example you may find interesting is the sandals used by the Tarahumara indians. A 55-year-old Tarahumara won the Leadville ultramarathon in 1993. Wearing his homemade old-tire sandals, of course.
                    Most of us are not Kenyans. We carry extra weight- even as runners and especially as we age. We sit on our asses all day long at our jobs. To go home and run down the ashalt barefoot is not smart or realistic, and I am actually a proponent of more minimalistic shoes. Three years ago I wound up with a small stress fracture on the side of my shin from doing some training in very minimal flats (HStreets and Hyper Paws). I just don't have the right surfaces to be doing that. I think for someone really lean and light on their feet- and probably male since females have a different hip structure and possibly need a little more shoe- go for the lightest, flattest shoe that works for you. Barefoot or Vibrams- not so sure.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

JakeKnight

Most of us are not Kenyans.
                      I am. This short tubby white man thing is just a disguise. My real name is Mfume Mgwlamba. I hunt gazelle on foot.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

jeffdonahue

to all those barefoot runners - I am all for it, but seriously how do you keep from being in constant pain from stepping on tiny stones and junk all over the road.
                        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

to all those barefoot runners - I am all for it, but seriously how do you keep from being in constant pain from stepping on tiny stones and junk all over the road.
                          If a non-runner asks you, "how do you run every day without being in constant pain? Running hurts!", what do you tell them? It doesn't hurt once you're properly conditioned for it. It's fun. Same goes for barefooting. The first time you try it you'll find your feet are hypersensitive, because they've been completely starved of stimuli most of your life. This rapidly goes away. Imagine wearing a blindfold for years and then suddenly going out in the sun -- it's like that. The best place to experiment and try it out is on a smooth but hard surface, like a tar bike path. Anywhere that people like to go rollerblading. Now of course there are some surfaces that are just terrible, even for experienced barefoot runners. About the worst is crushed stone. That never really gets comfortable, although it's manageable if you go slow. I'm not particularly experienced, I've only been doing this since last fall, and obviously I couldn't go truly barefoot much throughout the Boston winter. But I can run quite comfortably on just about any sidewalk (some are much rougher than others), and even gravel and dirt trails. As for glass/stones, the ones that are big enough to see I avoid, and the ones too small to see can't really hurt me, my soles are too tough. Only once did I ever get a minor puncture wound, and that was on an unseasonably warm day in January, when my soles were soft from lack of use. There are purists who poo poo all shoes. I really like my FiveFingers, and I'm always on the lookout for other options in the very-minimalist category. What works for the Masai and Tarahumara works for me. But I do enjoy mixing in completely barefoot running. It's fun, and it adds a new dimension to my training to keep my interest up.
                          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

My real name is Mfume Mgwlamba. I hunt gazelle on foot.
                            All hail Mfume! In seriousness, these tribes really do chase animals until the animals collapse from exhaustion. It's called persistence hunting, and it's probably one of the reasons humans are exquisitely evolved for long-distance running.

The Greatest of All Time

All hail Mfume! In seriousness, these tribes really do chase animals until the animals collapse from exhaustion. It's called persistence hunting, and it's probably one of the reasons humans are exquisitely evolved for long-distance running.
                              Funny, I saw something on TV this weekend about that very theory. Makes sense to me. Although I doubt they were hunting wild game down asphalt littered with rocks, glass, scrap metal, pieces of wire, garbage, tar, cigarette butts, empty beer cans and bottles, washing machines, etc.
                              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                              JakeKnight

Somebody posted a great video of that very thing not long ago. Trent? Anybody? Post that thing. Of course, I think he was wearing giant clod-hopper shoes.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------