What Do You Look For In A Running Hat? Suggestions Needed for Prototype. (Read 190 times)

Hello,

Very simple, what do you look for in a running hat? What are some aspects of running hats that you hate? I am working on developing a hat that is one made environmentally friendly that has a compartment where you can store your keys or cash as well and  has built in LED light for running at night. Thoughts? What type of materials do you prefer? Do you like the hat to be fitted or adjustable? Any and all suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

tomatolover

First off, i'm not a hat person for running- more of a visor gal, as hats don't fit my hair and they get hot... But i pretty much wear something on my head at all times to shade my face from sun...I feel like the right hat/visor is the holy grail of summer running and I have yet to find it.  What I'm looking for:

1. FULL face protection (sides included)....i generally wear a big floppy hat all summer long EXCEPT when running, as no such hat exists for running.

2. sweat wicking

3. no stink

4. some sort of holes in the brim to prevent sudden lift from wind gusts,  I purchased this UGLY mo-fo this summer http://www.sundayafternoons.com/sport-visor.html  and did wear it when forced to run after 9 am, but the lift thing really annoyed the shit out of me

5. maybe possibility to make hat into visor?? rip the top off?

6. Adjustable, absolutely, though velcro sticks to my hair and pulls it out.  I've had elastic visors and eventually  they quit on me

Baboon

delicate flower

I always wear a hat when I run.  What I look for in a hat is a Headweats hat made from their knit material (not their performance material).  Those are the best, Jerry, the best.

<3

DavePNW

People are not wearing enough hats.

Dave

Sean in Kelowna

I find that they come apart when I machine wash them day-in/day-out. So something with reinforcements at the edge of the brim, and where the brim attaches to the main part of the hat.

I like hats that don't make my ears stick out like dumbo

Paarthri

I like to wear a hat when it starts getting cold. I usually wear something that covers my ears. If uII don't I get real bad headaches.

keeponrunning

Summer hat or winter hat?

For winter hat, one that fully covers my ears.  I have to wear non-tech fabric ones that get smelly or a folded over Buff when it gets cold because all of the running hats I've tried only cover the tips of the ears.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

In summer, I need a running hat to defend my head from deer flies.  Full mesh hat that stands off my head far enough that the deer flies cannot poke through and bite, and a bill that fly paper sticks to.  A bonus would be a hat band that actually functions as a sweat band.

For winter, a stocking cap that covers my ears and stays in position.  Most stocking caps are knitted to a taper so that they ride up and expose my ears.  It should be long enough to completely cover my ears with a little extra.

I've been wearing the same old school Nike Running hat for 8-10 years. It's simple, has a smaller brim (women's size), and has a Velcro adjustable strap. It's pretty basic but I love it.

A few features it has.

Small holes for ventilation

Small brim ( I look like a duck with a normal bill)

Sweat wicking material

A few features that may be value added.

Reflective strips on all sides

Larger vent holes

Very very small pocket. I'm talking credit card size and no bigger. Just big enough for a CC, a folded up $10 bill, and a house key. No more..

Please do not put a light on it. My opinion is that I'd never buy it. Most of my runs are daylight or end in daylight and I have a headlamp, blinky light, and who knows what else for light. A light included in the hat is just misery waiting to happen.

mikeymike

I like hats that are as close to free as possible.

Also, if it's not too cold out but it's raining hard, then I like a lightweight hat with a visor to keep the rain out of my eyes. If it's really cold, I like a knit hat that will keep my ears warm but that is not too heavy or else my head will be boiling.

If its not cold and not raining I pretty much don't wear a hat unless I'm headed to a race and then I grab the hat with my running club's logo on it just so I'm representin'.

So my criteria are:

1. Free (ish)

2. Visor (if raining)

2b. Warm but not too warm (if cold out)

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

My favorite hats are the ones I was given for free from a race or a shoe store.  They work great.  A sweat band (for sweat), and a visor for shade, and a top to keep the part in my hair from getting sunburnt

Runners run

rlopez

I don't want to put a key or money in my hat.  Every pair of shorts I own has pockets... and in a blast of wind, I'm far less likely to lose my pants than a hat.  I mean, unless it is some bad ass wind.

Aside from that, well, I'm not sure.

It's a hat. I have a lot of hats. Most of which I don't currently wear on my Eric Clapton doo.

I don't want to put a key or money in my hat.  Every pair of shorts I own has pockets... and in a blast of wind, I'm far less likely to lose my pants than a hat.  I mean, unless it is some bad ass wind.

Aside from that, well, I'm not sure.

It's a hat. I have a lot of hats. Most of which I don't currently wear on my Eric Clapton doo.

Put it in your pocket, leave it in your shoe.
                              Plug it in your socket, flush it down the loo.
                              Hey baby, show me something new.

Put it in your hat, put it in your can.
                              Feed it to your cat, share it with your band.
                              Hey baby, help me understand.

Well they're fighting in the kitchen and they're fighting in the hall.
                              Up against the dark and up against the wall.
                              Why don't you meet me in the bottom, baby; bring your running shoes.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              xhristopher

Hello,

Very simple, what do you look for in a running hat? 

Actually I'm just looking for my running hat. I've got several but have you seen by black and green pearl isumi hat? It's probably my favorite.  It's really comfortable and I miss it. It's somewhere in this house.

Oh, I guess that's your answer from me. Comfort.