2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

mattw4jc

you can look at my log anytime you want

That's What He Said

fb-guy

Also, I did a workout like that once. Once. Husdon has some stuff with shorter periods of fast running that might be more suitable for people who don;t want to get hurt.

Hudson killed me. I went from rough Pfitz, to a failed Hudson, to being a proud WTF-er. Sometimes it seems like if you stick to the spirit of your plan, reading between the lines of intent, you get a majority of the benefit of the plan/workout without getting worn down or hurt. But that's the WTF attitude.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

fb-guy

WTF has a distant cousin -- the meta plan.

Mon -- recovery

Tues -- speed

Weds -- junk

Thurs -- MLR

Fri -- junk

Sat -- junk

Sun -- LR

Start with base miles and add 10-20% per week for three weeks, reduce by 10% for one week. Rinse and repeat.

Speed Surplus

This is exactly my point! It's odd to me when someone is "training to BQ". Like yes, maybe you want to hit that benchmark, but exactly what you said - if your training and race were what you want, let the chips fall to as fast as they may.

"Training to BQ" is exactly my mindset...but maybe I can give you the context to have it make sense.

So, I was a runner in high school, but I wasn't passionate about it. It was just a sport I could do. I was passionate about basketball, but I wasn't good enough to make the team at a school that had one future NBA player and perennially contended for the state championship.

So I ran, and I was OK at it - good enough to make varsity and run some decent PRs. I had friends on the team and I had fun, but I didn't really enjoy going out for a long run, or anything. I just still freaking loved basketball! I'd often play pickup games after XC or track practice.

After that... I didn't really run for fitness or fun for about 17 years. I played a BOATLOAD of basketball. Ultimately, I ended up getting good at it, and I played in competitive city leagues for years. I'm almost prouder of my bball accomplishments than anything I've done in running - an undefeated season where I averaged around 25 ppg, career high of 37 points (on zero free throws!), a 27-point first half, dunking, etc...

When I hit my early 30s, and my older son was born, I found that I didn't have time for basketball - you can't just show up and get a good workout. There have to be the right amount of people (not too few, not too many), and sometimes I got unlucky and didn't get any run. And I was getting hurt a lot. I've had three fairly severe ankle sprains. I fractured a collarbone. I had countless little bruises and nagging injuries. And after reading Born to Run (don't laugh), I decided to give the whole "running for fun" thing a try.

After one early setback (partially torn ACL/MCL/Gastroc from a wake surfing incident), I trained for 6 months and ran my first marathon. I wanted sub-4, and I gutted out a 3:59:51 with an excruciating 1:49/2:10 split.

After the pain from that faded, I decided that running Boston would be a good goal. And that's what I've been training for since. My PR is 3:22, but breaking 3:20 means nothing to me. Running 3:15 means nothing to me. Getting the arbitrary standard (sub 3:15 for my age, but really 3:10 for a usable BQ) is the only thing I care about in terms of marathon running. I don't even care about running well at Boston - I plan on running the race as a victory lap.

That's not to say that I'll BQ and quit the sport. But I may never run another marathon "for time" again. I have unfinished business in the mile, 5k, and 10k, and I'll focus on those goals instead. I even want to do a 50-miler "for fun." Oh god, it's probably Max's influence...

Sorry for the wall of text/life story, but I am most definitely "training to BQ," and have been doing so for years!

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Arvind Balaraman

WTF has a distant cousin -- the meta plan.

Mon -- recovery

Tues -- speed

Weds -- junk

Thurs -- MLR

Fri -- junk

Sat -- junk

Sun -- LR

Start with base miles and add 10-20% per week for three weeks, reduce by 10% for one week. Rinse and repeat.

Looks like a solid plan. No rest day?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew: I realized I've created a monster.  I mention a race, and you practically start drooling thinking that you can score free beer by showing up.

You DO realize I'm FULLY aware you'll be going up and down hills carrying your own supplies for probaly half of a day and I'm willing to come along, right?

Max "I'm doing this run (hellaciously long uphill climb on rocks and single track) near you this weekend"

Brew "DUDE! Why didn't you tell me earlier (I hate trails, hills, dirt, rocks, carrying water, trekking poles, running in heat, and pretty much every single thing about your race) I could have come down and hung out."

Max "You just want free beer don't you?"

Brew "I mean...if you happen to bring some I won't tell you no."

This guy...claiming he made a "free beer" monster...the nerve. He doesn't even bring me Coors Light.

rlk re "training to BQ" I'd say becomes the goal. Some people do it faster than others. I started with "4:00 marathon" which is a hard cut off and having never done a marathon before I didn't know how hard it was to do. I just heard it was a thing. Next was 3:30 for no reason other than it was actually my first goal. It THEN became to BQ (actually it's to get into the 4/20/20 marathon as I'm sure you're aware) and I don't doubt it would be a sub-3. So I guess it varies for everyone. Do people say "I want to run a sub XX 5K" do it then quit racing?

Ace I'm running Chicago along with flyrunnr and I think arvind. As for all the goals, all I can say is you can do all that it just takes time. You can do CIM one year since it isn't cheap to travel West with a family. If you make a vacation out of it ask around for travel plans (visiting Yosemite in December won't happen. Driving to Disneyland takes 7.5 hours, etc.) and you'll get some good info. Running a trail half or full marathon depends on where you want to go. If you have some around town you might be able to train for a spring/summer trail race and a Fall marathon. It just depends what the goal is. Do you want to run the race to say you've done it or do you want to win the overall?  If you're training for a 50k+ trail race you'll do PLENTY of 13 mile runs in the hills so it might be a good idea to stack those two together, stack running marathons in other states (expensive) and maybe do some local races with the wife and see if she even wants to do a half. My wife kind of got into "racing" (mostly against herself) because she went to races with me all the time. She did a 1:00 10K and was very happy with that. She doesn't like running and said multiple times she wouldn't do a half. I don't expect her to. Maybe you could do a trail half in spring, ultra in summer and CIM in December. It just depends what the goals are and what's available. Looks like Fall Creek and Music City have trail offerings, and the Pistol Ultra is a road offering you could do early in the year. Dry Creek seems early enough to race if you're training for the other ultras and either treat it as a supported long run or race it and see how you feel going into the other races. My ultra goal became "finish so I can brag about how awesome my 7.5 hour day in the hills was."

arvind I've started with a Garmin plan. I think I did a Pfitz training plan for CIM 2015. After that I picked up Hansons. I'd say read into some of the more popular plans (daniels, Hansons, Pfitz) and see which works for your schedule. Ask questions about it, comment on speed work or longer marathon paced/effort runs and absorb the advice. Heck, look at how much people commented about rlks 2x200x2x200 workout and her friends going to fast and ruining it. People here can offer advice of what the point of the workout is so you don't lose focus while also offereing advice about longer runs or easy paced runs.

Chicago training I think I'm leaning towards the 2Q workout. I'd probably do Sundays and Wednesdays for the quality workouts. Thursday my MIL comes over sometimes to watch NeRP so MAYBE I could do Q workout that day. The hard part will be training while camping so maybe some workouts will be moved and "run for the lesser of" will be the Sunday workout that weekend. It's similar to Hansons knowing it's all easy miles and 2 work days. The biggest downer is I can get the Hanson's speed workouts done at work. I really cant get 16 miles of workout done in an hour. I wish I could. This is the biggest difference I see between the two. I could get every 8-9 mile run for Hanson's in during lunch Tuesday and Thursday. With Daniels I can't. Which makes me want to go towards Hanson's every time I look at it. I know Hanson's says to start adding miles to warm ups, then easy runs THEN the long run. I could get 8 mile loops done daily at work on lunch too. DW is on board for me running after work as needed (longer threshold type runs, etc) as usual unless I turn Chicago into a fun run. This is probably the one time I've gone back and forth so much. Oh and I have a 5-6 person relay the first weekend in June which should be good for my weekly miles. I'm already at 20 this week!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Hudson killed me. I went from rough Pfitz, to a failed Hudson, to being a proud WTF-er. Sometimes it seems like if you stick to the spirit of your plan, reading between the lines of intent, you get a majority of the benefit of the plan/workout without getting worn down or hurt. But that's the WTF attitude.

I think that Hudson's "plans" were stuck in at last minute because someone said, "wait, people don't want to learn how to write their own plan, they want someone to tell them what to do."  I feel that if you use the plans in the back of the book you're missing the point.  (Which is to listen to yo' own damn body and write your plan in pencil, using the basic principles and example workouts in the body of the book, and yeah, okay, you can crib some workouts or general structures from the "plans" but I roll my eyes when people say "I did Hudson Level 2" because MISSING THE POINT.)

Also it annoys me that you use the term "junk." If you're running easy for a purpose (building base) it's not junk.

I might be a little cranky today, sorry.

mattw4jc

Somehow I skipped an entire page and missed the goal time / BQ posts.

SC - I enjoyed your background and goal evolution post. I'll share too, so feel free to scroll past if anyone doesn't care. But first I'll admit I'm on DW's TURD watch list. My participant vs lurker see-saw tilts toward the lurker side a bit.

Funny thing about the BQ benchmark - it's amazing how one race can affect so many people's goals. They bumped it down by 5 minutes for 2012 (I think?) and it filled up. If they do it again will everyone just run faster still? I don't feel I've been obsessed with the BQ time, but am always aware of that standard and talk about it with running buddies. It's probably a good thing that it exists to give people something to aim for. Otherwise we might all be simply trying to beat the national average or Oprah.

My first marathon was just getting into running and let's try 26.2. I felt 3:30 was possible and ran a 3:32 (loosely using a Higdon plan).

Then I met some running buddies and got more serious. I learned about BQ times and saw mine was 3:15, so I went for it. I had no intention to go to Massachusetts. I ran 3:15:13 (FIRST plan). This was 2010 and they still had the +59 seconds grace. I didn't realize that the time was based on your age on Patriot's Day of the year you would run. I actually needed a 3:20. But then they dropped it by five minutes and I was back to 3:15 for the next 5 years.

In 2011, I got delusions of grandeur and my running buddy and I trained for a sub-3 using Higdon's Advanced 2 plan. I was on pace through about mile 17/18, then struggled to a 3:11 finish.

Two years later I did a "WTF" plan with a 3:10ish goal. For the first time I felt strong through all 26.2 miles and ran a 3:12. The next year I didn't train for a full but helped pace one for a 3:24. I was still not trying to go to the Super Bowl of Marathons.

Then the delusions came back. I started lurking on the RWOL sub-3 forum and even the 2:50 (or whatever it was) forum. I quickly learned that more miles was the norm there and many of them used Pfitz. Sub-3 guys seemed to mostly be running 65-80mpw and the 2:50 guys were at 85-100+. About 11 months before the marathon I tried running 10 miles a day for about 10 straight days during a Christmas/New Year's vacation. I then formed a plan to train for a 39:00 10k and a 1:25 half before beginning another sub-3 training cycle (got 39:02 and 1:25:23, both PRs).

After those I kept up a base by sampling some of the Pfitz 18/70 plan and trying different tempo workouts. Then I gave myself a bit of a cutback and started the training in earnest. During the training, I ran two more half-marathon PRs (1:24:52 & 1:23:32) and was feeling confident. In Charlotte, November 2015, I ran a 2:58:46. At this point I would be aging up before Patriot's Day and this was 21 minutes under my BQ time.

Two running buddies also ran well at the same race and BQ'd (one for the first time) so we all three went. I had low motivation, a less than ideal training cycle, and a hot trip from Hopkinton (2017). I spent 3 hours and 50 minutes on that course. An epic personal worst!

Since then the motivation to train at the level I did for a sub-3 has been low. I kinda did last winter, and kinda tried. But my 1:32 first half turned into a 3:20 finish. Being older helps though as this is a -4:50 BQ. I'm not planning on going back, but a running buddy is starting the peer pressure thing.

The 4:30am alarm (and sometimes earlier) is rough week after week, month after month. I've been on a bit of a break recently, but still running ~40mpw. Honestly not sure what to do with myself. A PR would be nice, but sounds like more work than I have the motivation for. Some local friends are wanting to get a safe BQ (3:05ish) this fall, and hinting for me to go for it with them. That makes it a little more interesting, but ugh.

runethechamp

Oregon - Thanks, yes I think I am fully recovered from the marathon now as I'm coming up on six weeks since I raced. What you could describe as a Phase 1 in my training plan will start on Monday and will last for 6 weeks, with the real 2Q program starting on June 18.

Ace - Good to see you're on your way back. I basically have 3 goals at the same time for my running, and I think they all coincide pretty well. Now I'm hoping my training plan can get me to all of them: 1:30 HM, beating my HS 5k record of 19:44, and a 3:20 marathon. The marathon is the real goal but the other two might fall nicely in line.

Sub-2:10 marathoners? Exactly 1 American in 2017.

RLK - Bummed I missed the PJ Invitational, I somehow thought it was today or tomorrow. In any case, strong showing by the Norwegians. Amazing by the 17-year old Jacob Ingebrigtsen to win the entire 1500. Surprising? That's a whole different discussion as he's still progressing like crazy.

Ilana - I prefer to call the slower miles enjoyable miles. Can just noodle around and enjoy the scenery and take a picture here and there and not worry about too many things, except for making sure you're not running too fast. And the dog likes it too!

I might try those dumb drills again this afternoon. Maybe I'll look less silly this time around...

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

fb-guy

Also it annoys me that you use the term "junk." If you're running easy for a purpose (building base) it's not junk.

I might be a little cranky today, sorry.

And stay off my lawn.

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk I have a MAJOR problem with the article you linked. Nothing at all against you as I can say I assumed Ford was cutting the sedans for MPG ratings as soon as I heard about it. I remember hearing the "25 mpg" rule was the average of ALL vehicles a company sells (unsure if international vehicles unavailable in the US factor in) so companies can make a 40 mpg car to offset a few 20 mpg trucks. It's always a game and from a regulatory standpoint it's our job to make the rule say what you CAN do . From the private sector it's your job to find out what the rule DOESN'T say you CAN'T do. It doesn't say you can't sell a truck getting 8mpg highway. It says your company has to average 25mpg. Sweet. let's make an electric car capable of getting 200 mpg and create some math equation saying a kW = x.xxx gallons of fuel.

For starters, sales of pickups, vans, cross overs (fancy minivans) and SUVs increased 4.3%. Maybe it had something to do with Ford offering 0% on these vehicles over the past few years. Maybe there are more construction/plumbing/mining companies buying fleet vehicles. I don't see many handymen driving a Nissan Versa.

Secondly, the author considers the Ford Excursion (identical to the Suburban or a full size Ford van) an absurdity. Oh I'm sorry, how many sedans can fit 5 teenagers, two adults and two dogs? I guess my wife or a family with 4 or more kids is a circus show. At least they were filled up going to school unlike the number of sedans cruising with one passenger. Maybe the Ford Excursion became popular because it came with the 7.3L diesel engine (also available in their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks) so it can tow the family along with the boat in 1 trip instead of using 2 vehicles or making multiple trips.Next time you're heading to SLO and see some ford explorer or 1/2 truck going 45 towing a trailer just know it's MUCH easier with a diesel. No hills aren't steeper but having your engine and transmission overheat is expensive and being stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck isn't the best idea. Ask me how I know.

When he starts comparing the length of cars I laughed at the end of his article. Yes trucks are larger. Ford trucks became so tall they had to flip the headlight and blinker because states have maximum headlight requirements and they weren't legal from what I heard. Blinkers are now on the side instead of underneath. 1995 F250 vs 2018 f250. I've seen the two door coupes he's referring to and I'd LOVE for them to come back and be the reason Ford increases it's car sales. I'm sure he'd complain even more about how cars are taking up too much space on the road.

As a reference:

The 1939 Lincoln Continental had a wheelbase of 125 inches and an overall length of 218 inches.

20 inches LONGER than the Explorer XLT with a wheelbase 12 inches longer.

The 1960 Edsel Ranger is 213.2" long.

1962 Lincoln Continental is 212.4" long

1995 Lincoln Towncar is 219.0" long. 18mpg city. 25mpg highway. BARELY meets the increased requirements.

2006 Ford Fusion 190.2"

2006 Crew Cab Sierra 2500 is 224" long.

2018 Prius 178.7" long vs the 2002 Prius 169.7" long (an extra 10" but they're not taking up any more room).

2016 Standard Cab Silverado 1500 is 205".

It is pretty one sided, granted it's about Ford cutting it's sedans, written by someone who must know how long the brand's "most influential cars" are. I have a major issue with the article from the start and then ending with showing some of the biggest sedans ever created just makes me wonder what his point really is. Sedans are better? Trucks and SUVs need to stay out of the city? If I own a truck I should only use it to haul stuff, park it the rest of the time and buy something much smaller to shuttle around as many people as I can because he can't see a stop light or navigate a parking garage? Ford is a business and they're not in the business of going out of business. Yes. Families are larger. I probably know more people making up a family of 5+ than I do <3. Ever tried to cram 5 people into a 2 door Civic to go camping for 5 days? I'm glad 'light-truck' (Toyota Tacoma, Ford Ranger, Chevy S-10, and 1/2 ton trucks) owners use their trucks to commute, but do they carpool or take a team of 3-4 kids to places? At the end of the day the less fuel efficient vehicles are still going to pay more for roads than more fuel efficient cars. So you either get clean air with destroyed roads OR you get some trucks and SUVs on the road paying extra to haul more people around comfortably and make parking at the mall difficult. At least when I'm Christmas shopping I can fit everything in the truck. I can even fit the furniture I bought at the store in my truck to take home instead of making the delivery truck idle around town.

Yeah, fuel efficiency is part of the problem. It just isn't the only problem and needs to stop being focal point of the problem.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Strict WTF adherent

FB - Hudson killed you? Aren't you the same guy who used to train by running like 15 miles up a mountain every day?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Looks like a solid plan. No rest day?

I had the same thought. Or do you just take non-running days as you need them?

BQing - I think one reason for different perspectives is that for some of us in this group (women and older men), a sub-3:20 is significantly faster than our BQ time. By the time we're talking 3:20, BQing is presumably not a concern.  For others, 3:20 is an intermediate step to BQing, and so the BQ has much more importance.

I imagine many prospective BQers want to BQ in the same way I want to go sub-3.  It's not the limit of one's aspirations, but it is a stair step.

I also think that in some situations, it can be important to focus on BQing (or OTQing) rather than trying to run as fast as you can.  If you have a BQ narrowly in hand, it's better to protect that then to take a risk going for one's fastest time, and risk losing it all.

Matt - no worries, you're not on my TURD list.  It's also important to note that like any brutal dictator, I only retain power until the population revolts.

SUVs - I own one (a small one - a Mercedes GLK).  I'm evil.  I've always driven SUVs for several reasons.  First, because I was a horse woman and I had a sincere and regular need for the extra space to store stuff and the 4 wheel drive.  It was either an SUV or a full pick-up at that time in my life.  I could not have a "normal" car as my only car, and I did not have space or money for two cars.

Later, when I swapped to running, I stayed with SUVs.  This is primarily because my sciatica flares badly in nearly all sedans, due to the seating structure in them.  The seating in most SUVs or trucks is more upright and far more comfortable for me.  When I rent a car, if I'll be driving more than 20-30 minutes at a time, I rent an SUV for that reason.

The reality is also that I don't drive all that much - I usually rely on walking, running, or public transportation - those are viable options where I live.  When I do drive, it's usually to buy stuff (sometimes big stuff) or to get to running locations (sometimes in snowy weather).  The SUV is very handy in those situations (my GLK is spectacular in snow) - much more useful than a sedan.

10 miles today.  3 mile warm-up (8:51), and then my first workout back - 3200, 1600 in 12:55 (6:32/6:23) and 6:19 with half-mile very slow recovery between the two.  3.5 mile cooldown (8:54) and injury prevention work plus recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

FB - Hudson killed you? Aren't you the same guy who used to train by running like 15 miles up a mountain every day?

...and 100 junkmiles/wk running and another 100 junkers/wk on the bike.   Sadly, he only got up to AG83% marathoning.  Too much junk.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave- i am taking the cargument (i'm so punny!) offline, for all of our sanity's sake. but i did want to point out appreciation for this: "The reality is also that I don't drive all that much - I usually rely on walking, running, or public transportation - those are viable options where I live.  When I do drive, it's usually to buy stuff (sometimes big stuff)". Buy a big car but don't drive it around much, and I'm happy as a clam! Thank ya!

sclever- i appreciate your "story" re. training to BQ, and also liked hearing your running background since I don't think I knew it before! Everyone has a story and they're quite varied. Smile

rune- PJ is usually on Friday. Not sure why the change this year, but def bummed about it!

I am slightly allergic to cats and like once every six months I will have a day - typically it's a day where I'm working from home - where my nose is running all day and I feel like crap because of it. That was today. Solution is a dose of fenofexadine HCl and locking myself in our bedroom (where the cats, tragically, are not allowed). Good news is my snot-pouring nose is done after about 8 hours of it!
                                Also I jogged 3 miles and it kind of sucked. #ResetMode

Junk? Did somebody say junk food?

_________________________________________________
                                mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58