2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

OMR

Ilana & FB:  Haha, love the cranky old farts comments!

Ilana:  Yeah, I am fortunate to have access to an AlterG, and that the surgery pretty much sent my insurance deductible and out-of-pocket expense beyond their limits, so I think the rest of my time on that contraption is already paid for.  Also, I agree with you on Hudson.

rlk:  Yep, we're going to keep that cryptic.  You're welcome.  Also, running at 50+% for a period of time must've sucked.  As a humorous anecdote, I initially misread your comment to read that you were running at 50+% body fat, not body weight on the AlterG.  My apologies.

Dad:  Still no itching.  What gives?

Hey to everyone...

I graduated to 75% body weight on the AlterG today, and still no pain, so I'm hoping I will get another increase next week.

fb-guy

FB - Hudson killed you? Aren't you the same guy who used to train by running like 15 miles up a mountain every day?

Slowly. My memory is that Hudson has something like "specific training", where he called for more MP miles than Pfitz, and I couldn't even do the quality miles that Pfitz recommended. I would get too beat up.

DW -- nice on stair step goals. I read somewhere that we should have three goals -- something short-term, like miles per week or hitting a quality workout, something mid-range, like a goal race during a cycle, and something long-term, like BQ, OTQ, moose mug, etc.

Matt -- you young guys need to run fast. And I have so much respect for everybody who gets up early to get it done -- along with kids, significant other, job, etc. You are definitely earning it.

RLK -- DW is allergic to cats, so the cat sleeps on her head. They know.

OMR -- so glad to hear you are pain free so far. I've never had the pleasure of using an alterG; guess I should look it up online.

Rovatti -- I tried to find a trail on the east river, but there isn't anything around 48 East. One of DD1's friends is down near Wall Street and runs on river trail down there. Any ideas?

I'm going to stop using junk and garbage and call them easy. hehe. Somebody said that recovery runs are supposed to be so slow that you could just go back out a do it again. Not much more than warming up the muscles.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

I imagine many prospective BQers want to BQ in the same way I want to go sub-3.  It's not the limit of one's aspirations, but it is a stair step.

Yesterday, someone at work (senior enough to know better!) tried to use this word, but wrote perspective, which wasn't a typo or auto-correct. I spent the rest of the day banging my head against my desk.

I had the same reaction to junk miles as Ilana did (but I'm always cranky), until rlk distracted me w/ junk food..

I viewed Monday (recovery) in FB's "plan" as  "rest" but wonder if I'd benefit more from more complete rest days.

OMR ~ I guess I'm just more sensitive than you! Keep up the progress.

Running Problem

Problem Child

All this talk of junk food made me hungry so a big bag of cool Ranch doritos went down for the count.

Long runs take take a long time. Sometimes they take longer than expected. Not sure what to make of that other than ‘make better plans.’

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

"Training to BQ" is exactly my mindset...but maybe I can give you the context to have it make sense.

Getting the arbitrary standard (sub 3:15 for my age, but really 3:10 for a usable BQ) is the only thing I care about in terms of marathon running. I don't even care about running well at Boston - I plan on running the race as a victory lap.

That's not to say that I'll BQ and quit the sport. But I may never run another marathon "for time" again. I even want to do a 50-miler "for fun." Oh god, it's probably Max's influence...

Sorry for the wall of text/life story, but I am most definitely "training to BQ," and have been doing so for years!

You and I are surprisingly similar. While I SUCK at basketball I feel very similar about how I’ll run the 4/20/20 marathon. I’ve gone back and forth of fun run and aim for sub 3. After that I’ll possibly chase sub 3 only because our BQ times feel so close but other than that, I’ll probably hang out with that same guy and aim for some stupid long trail hike like Western States or some other belt buckle race. If I get one I may wear it daily, or I may put it on a shelf. Maybe I’ll brag how I can average 3mph on no sleep.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

runworm

beanpot: jeesum crow, you and I are two peas in a pod. Keep the mileage where it is, but ease into any hill trails. Those can be devastating in a rainstorm.

Kal: IKR? 7 is too many mary's to be messin around with a new gel technique. Just feel the flow and it will come.

Lance: It's not even beer o'clock and you're into the good stuff. I love it! Run hard my man. And don't forget about Ragnar in June. That will be epic (and Eee-pic! if you know what I mean).

Godsmak: This is where it gets tricky for you. Run. That's all I can say. Run.

My personal philosophy on the BQ is as follows (note: this is based on 19 consecutive tries in the Baharain International Mary, so take with a grain of humidity - I've been to the other side and back, and know my stuff). Those of you who knew me at coolrunning and RWOL know of what I speak. The BQ is kind of a sacred cow. You get there or you don't. And when you do, it's because of running a certain time. Outside of that, mostly it's that you didn't run the time required. Either way, somewhere along the line you were training to run, and then when you ran, you did, and ended up running a standard time that made the cutoff or it didn't. This is where most of us mess it up. Like I said, running is for the heart, but racing is for the gut. That's where the difference is. When you BQ you have a hearty gut. Mostly. But anyway, keep running for the thrill of it. Don't get distracted by ovals or reindeer. Just make it your own. I think you know what I'm talking about.

Holla to DG! And BRK! RWOL 4 evah!

Rovatti -- I tried to find a trail on the east river, but there isn't anything around 48 East. One of DD1's friends is down near Wall Street and runs on river trail down there. Any ideas?

Most of the periphery of Manhattan (i.e. East River and Hudson River) has a running/bike path.  I think you ran into a blocked-off part by the United Nations...   e.g.  I can run-commute home by going down the East River, around the bottom tip of Manhattan then back up the West side (~9 miles).   I did that one with SAM a few years ago (before he got old).

godsmark - nothin' tricky bout it... don't let that runworm mess with your head.

Kal - IKR indeed!

Lance - our man brew will tell you when it's beer-oclock

beanpot and runworm.... ask those Kenyans if hill trails work.  Keep it up!

Cheers to all!

runethechamp

Brew - For me the 2Q plan works out well as I can just reserve one weekday night a week for his long workout. I got this cleared at home and I've been trying to practice this during my buildup so far. Will try to do the same in the next 6 weeks before I start the plan. I'm still a bit scared of the JD workouts though 

I officially ended my running week today having reached my weekly goal of 45 miles. It was a good week overall, with a moderate effort on my Wednesday run, the crazy drills and some strides yesterday (the drills are still hard, but it looks like my body remembered the coordination and movement patterns needed from last time), and all other days easy to fill in. I might do an easy 5-6 miler tomorrow, but that one will go on the books for next week since most of that week will be spent in Panama. I'm also starting with actual reps next week, 2x8x200m, with a longer 800m recovery between the two 8x sets. Although there is plenty of recovery there's a lot of fast running in there, and I'm hoping the progression in these sets will help prepare my legs for some of the harder that will come with the 2Q program.

Weekly Summary
                  Monday, Apr 30, 2018 thru Sunday, May 06, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
                  Mon 5.5 8:33 Lunch Run 134 (70%) 97 strava
                  Mon 2.0 10:27 Doggie run to get a couple more miles in April 136 (71%) 104 strava
                  Tue 5.4 9:11 Morning Run 138 (72%) 376 strava
                  Wed 10.6 8:49 Evening Run with hills and a moderate segment 141 (73%) 1132 strava
                  Thu 4.3 10:21 Afternoon Run 121 (63%) 191 strava
                  Fri 6.6 10:33 Friday drills and strides 137 (71%) 189 strava
                  Sat 11.5 8:39 Gray running day by the bay 140 (73%) 388 strava
                    45.9 9:16     2477  

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

KaiG

Since it appears to be lurker-coming-out time, I figured I'd unmask myself, too, for a minute. I appreciate having this forum for information and motivation, even though it appears that I cannot manage to participate regularly, and I understand that people don't appreciate too much having someone stop in just for questions / showing off and disappearing again.

Who knows, maybe I'll become an actual participant at some point. In the mean time, I'll go back to working on turning my on-again off-again running into an on-again phase Wink

Greetings to all the lurkers popping in; keep visiting, new blood/perspectives are valuable.

RTC ~ If the Daniels 2Q workouts seem like they'll be a bit much, just slow down a bit. The difference b/w 'perfect' LT and, say a slow HMP, or I pace to 5 or even 8K, won't ruin the plan; it may even be beneficial.

I guess the Kentucky Derby was jealous of the Boston weather, so did its best to mimic!

My week (Base 1):

M) 7.5

Tu) 7.5 & ElliptiGo 45'

W) 7.5 & ElliptiGo 45'

Th) 13 w/ 60' moderate (7:42 or roughly MP+10%)

F) 4.5 & ElliptiGo 45'

Sa) 11 w/ 5' tempo, then 3x{8x100m hard/easy -- "straights and curves"} w/ 400m jog b/w sets

Su) 14 hilly, last 5 moderate (around that 7:45 area again)

Total: 65 + "15" on the Go

pepperjack

pie man

Masters debut was a dud.  Went for a bit of of a hike with my sister the day before (her birthday) so i wasn't so rested.  Plus I think maybe 5 hours sleep.

We were driving down 81 south of Harrisonburg on Thursday towards the hike and passed a rather impressive forest fire on the mountian.  I don't think I have seen one like that in the east before.  The dark really helped with the unearthly glow.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

runethechamp

RTC ~ If the Daniels 2Q workouts seem like they'll be a bit much, just slow down a bit. The difference b/w 'perfect' LT and, say a slow HMP, or I pace to 5 or even 8K, won't ruin the plan; it may even be beneficial.

Dad - Thanks for the advice. I can usually hold my own on I and T sessions, but when you start mixing in Jack Daniels' m-pace is when it starts to get difficult. I will give it a try and see how it goes when we get there, but try to remember that it's not the end of the world to back off a hair on the intensity.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Strict WTF adherent

My memory is that Hudson has something like "specific training", where he called for more MP miles than Pfitz, and I couldn't even do the quality miles that Pfitz recommended.  

Those were magic for me. But I haven't run a good marathon since then, so maybe not.

Welcome newbies/lurkers.

My week

Mon - Weights

Tues - 4 recovery

Wed - 6.1 easy

Thurs - TURD (sick)

Fri - 7.5 hills

Sat - 7.2 easy with strides

Sun - 13.7 easy

Total - 38.4

Wednesday's run was a struggle. I initially figured that was because it was hot and I was feeling the effects of running a marathon the previous Sunday. But I developed a fever that evening and haven't been quite right since. Symptoms include occasional fever, scratchy throat, sneezing, minor rash, nausea, stomach pain, mild cough, fatigue. So according to the Internet, I'm a goner. Anyone want my Garmin?

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Stopping by to let you know I survived my 62 mile training run yesterday, but mostly to let Jim's Kat know that she still has the power to summon CalBears even if was a non-traditional summons.  I rolled into an aid station at mile 26 (only 36 miles left to go!) and there he was, having kind of a rough day.  He said something about how training might help for these races.  Anyway, we ran together for a little bit, I dropped him going up a long hill, I saw him hours later during an out-and-back (about 20 minutes behind me) and then he finished really strong only about 4 minutes after me.  It's probably the only race that I'll ever beat him in.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

max- ha! summoning powers are successfully shared. i have now played strava's "flyby" of your two races and it's kinda fun. the depressing thing about being dropped going up heather's cutoff is that the person ahead doesn't look that far in front ... but those hidden switchbacks mean they really are substantially ahead and dropping you. nice work, mr "i might not finish"!
                                saw an interesting tale re. your seattle compatriot Ben Gibbard: https://www.instagram.com/p/BicUitZAbfZ/?hl=en&taken-by=gibbstack  totally sucks but i'm glad he took the "run anyway" approach.

you know when you haven't run in two days and you have to actively remember to shower? :/

_________________________________________________
                                mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58