2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Strict WTF adherent

General theme: Be/show extraordinarily appreciative for the million-plus "little" things she does.

Specifics: depends on her, but a thoughtful card and flowers are a good start, probably dinner/brunch "in her honor."

I hear a vacuum cleaner always goes over well.

SC - Nice find. You don't see many of those, at least not around here.

Straight inboard, correct?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

SMax ~ "62 mile training run" 

Hahahaha.  This.  (and congrats, Smax)

Extremely cool about the "runner of the year" RLK!

Brew - are you really asking about 10K training advice with 6 days to go?

Rune - I am shaking my head at that course.

SC - congrats on the mileage PR. And I would have gotten lost also.

Hi! to all others!

My last week was 56 miles running and 16 "miles" pool-running, plus other stuff.

M: upper body weights/core and 7 "miles" pool-running.
      T: 10 miles, including 8 hill strides of about 60-70 seconds each with 2:30 recovery.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
      W::8 miles very easy to yoga (9:17), yoga, then 4 miles very easy (9:17) plus drills and strides.
      Th: upper body weights/core and 9 "miles" pool-running.
      F: 10 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:55 (6:32/6:23) and 6:19.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
      Sa: 10 miles very easy (9:07) plus drills, strides, upper weights/core and DIY yoga.

Su 14 mile including 2x4 miles at MP-ish (targeting 7 flat pace) with 1 mile recovery.  Split 27:52 and 27:55, so 6:58 and 6:59 pace.

If you're wondering about Sunday's workout, it's because I'm debating whether to take a shot at Grandma's marathon in mid-June (I'm currently entered in the half).  It's admittedly not the greatest idea (and I've done this before, so I know).  But I think it will be easier to run a good marathon in mid-June than to try to switch gears to half-marathon fitness.  Plus, a friend who had to drop from Boston is running Grandmas - if I swap, it gives him a training partner, which he would very much appreciate.  And I have slightly more time than I did between Chicago and CIM in 2016.

Sunday's long run was a test - if it went awesome, I'd go with the full.  If I struggled, I'd stay with the half.  It ended up somewhere in the middle - I didn't strain and could have done more, but it wasn't quite as easy as I had expected (I was doing 2x5 at 6:45 during Botulism training, so I expected 7:00 pace to be nearly effortless).

So, I dunno.  There's all sorts of reasonable explanations for why it felt a bit hard.  I am ramping up mileage right now and did my first track workout back two days before.  It was also more humid than it has been, and I'm not acclimated.  And...as training buddy noted, 2x4 at marathon pace is still a workout and not supposed to be "easy."  (and...I ran a marathon 3 weeks ago)  So perhaps my expectations were unrealistic.

I'll discuss with my coach tomorrow, and make the go/no go decision.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Speed Surplus

SC - Nice find. You don't see many of those, at least not around here.

Straight inboard, correct?

Yep. 6-cylinder inboard. It hasn't run in 5 years, so I'm going to start with the carburetors and also have an engine-guru friend take a look...

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

... I'm debating whether to take a shot at Grandma's marathon in mid-June. ...

Who'da thunk, Galen Rupp being an inspiration!

fb-guy

...I'm debating whether to take a shot at Grandma's marathon in mid-June (I'm currently entered in the half). 

If I get a vote (do I get a vote?), I would say yes. Challenging spring race with a good training cycle, feeling solid, enough time to recover and not come down from the plateau. Definitely.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Katia77

Rlk - totally true about taking 2 days off from running and not knowing when to shower.  And funny about your dad. At least he's paying attention, lol.

DW - I'd totally give it a shot.

McB - vacuum cleaners and gym memberships.  See also: a scale.

Smax - 62 mile training runs seem insane. And something I could only do if I decide to get divorced, lol.

Hi to everyone else

28 miles last week, so I haven't taken a huge break yet.  My coworkers are doing a 5K in 2 weeks and it's about a half mile from my house (even the new one) so I have no excuse not to run it. I think I'm in 5K PR shape bc my current PR is 22:10 and I can still run 1-2 miles at a 7:ish pace so we'll see how that goes. Definitely time to break that PR. This week is another crazy one because DH is out of town Tues-Thur (Spokane)  and then I'm out of town Thurs-Sun (FL) so not sure where I'm going to run but I'll see what I can do. It's borderline too hot to run at lunch which is a bummer since that was a great option earlier this year.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

oregonrw

Darkwave: I'd probably give it a shot. Marathon pace always feels hard to me, so I don't know that's a totally accurate test of recovery.

RLK: I look forward to my nonrunning morning so I can sleep later and not shower.

Katia: I'm pretty sure you're going to get a new PR.  Hope the challenging week goes well.

40ish miles last week, including a longer run of 14 on Sunday that felt pretty good. 5.25 easy this morning.  I'm running a "quarter marathon" on Saturday -- I seem to be picking races of unusual distance this year -- but I'm not racing it seriously, which is good since I'm not even totally sure how long that is. Maybe 6.5ish? I'm running with a friend who wanted to run it and hoping I'm at least slightly faster pace-wise than I was for the 8k in March.

mattw4jc

Katia - scale remark reminded me of our church pastor giving one to his wife for something and she posted it on Facebook! He just thought it was a good bargain. He also returned it.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I understand the pull. It helps to remember that 4 seconds = about 1% at threshold.

you act like I know what this (1%) means. I swear every time I think I understand how people calculate "pace +/- %" I do the math differently and convince myself they're correct.

RTC (super simple abbreviation becuase it's our local transit line) Yeah, I'm a little initimated by the 10K but it is a popular race distance for marathon training. I honestly think it is because it's half the distance of a half marathon. Everyone will say the longer the race the better predictor it is for a marathon but it seems like "default mode" is 10k race pace. No one wants to use their HM times for training for a marathon when those times are usually slower which would make training easier, right? Oh and for the R vs I thing....got it...I'm slow enough that my R and I are pretty much the same so I adjust the workout based on rest. I'm not even sure what the goal was. I think they were intervals because I wouldn't say I felt "fully rested and recovered" between intervals. Hanson's is totally different. I need to quit fighting the two.

Keen oh man I'm there with you *clink* and I just found out they have a bottle opener. Kinda extra motivation to get there. We should do group runs online with our treadmills or something (not paying for online running) so we can totally bond while kids sleep...or not sleep. I should probably brew a beer for that race when it comes. Do they serve Coors Light on the East coast? asking for a friend. Oh and be careful on that "extra 5 minutes" because most people who "qualify" (get in to the race" run 3 minutes faster than "BQ" time. It IS...THE....reason for 3:07.

rlk So I'm slow enough that interval and repetition pace are the same. Awesome. At least I know, thanks to this forum, that "last one, fast one" is a thing and when you're split times are drastically changing it's a sign of something being wrong. I think the "R vs I pace" is very JD specific and it has something to do with how fast your are, but he also specifies the amount of rest between intervals making a large impact on what the target of the workout is. Oh and the upside of a NeRP is they can sleep in bed with you. Ask me how I know. Oh, and Fords suck. I drive a GMC. I think you focus should be on Super Taqueria in July. Seriously, there isn't anything "super awesome" about that place it is just a local thing. I miss it.

Tomorrow I'm stuck in a lecture hall all day and might just have to go for a run after work while DW does dinner. Maybe I'll take NeRP out for a run but with my luck he will fall asleep and come back full of energy.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mattw4jc

Oh and be careful on that "extra 5 minutes" because most people who "qualify" (get in to the race" run 3 minutes faster than "BQ" time. It IS...THE....reason for 3:07.

I think y'all know as well as I do, but just to be sure, if you don't want to be sweating the cutoff come registration time in September, get that BQ -4:00 or even better, -5:00. One would think that 3 minutes is safe, but it was more than that for 2018.

As a reminder...

2014    -1:38
                      2015    -1:02
                      2016    -2:28
                      2017    -2:09
                      2018    -3:23

Arvind Balaraman

R

28 miles last week, so I haven't taken a huge break yet.  My coworkers are doing a 5K in 2 weeks and it's about a half mile from my house (even the new one) so I have no excuse not to run it. I think I'm in 5K PR shape bc my current PR is 22:10 and I can still run 1-2 miles at a 7:ish pace so we'll see how that goes. Definitely time to break that PR. This week is another crazy one because DH is out of town Tues-Thur (Spokane)  and then I'm out of town Thurs-Sun (FL) so not sure where I'm going to run but I'll see what I can do. It's borderline too hot to run at lunch which is a bummer since that was a great option earlier this year.

Best wishes for your PR

AceHarris

DW: Would switching to the full at Grandma's affect any of your racing later this year (CIM, etc.)? I see the draw towards the full as you seem to be in great marathon shape at the moment.

RLK: The shower comment made me laugh. There have been times off running when I go to take a shower and think, "when was the last time I was in here?" That's probably a bad thing.

Katia: I too am having to abandon my lunch runs due to heat. It's a bummer because now I have to wake up earlier. Good luck on the upcoming 5k.

Brew: I think 10k is a tough distance as well. In the 5k I can just go and try to be pretty uncomfortable the whole time. HM and beyond is a whole different feel, but 10k is a "good' combination of balancing effort and endurance. I find it's a hard PR to maximize. Honestly, I'd rather run a HM. That's probably my favorite distance to race at the moment. Our youngest daughter is almost ready for stroller runs!! From the pics you've posted she is not quite as stout as NeRP.

Max: nice work on Miwok! That looks like a cool race. What's next for you?

30 easy miles for me last week!! Actually kind of excited about it even though it was my slowest week of running in about 2 years. I did a lot of mid day running in the heat due to family schedule and procrastination. Also did an 8 mile trail run, which reminded my legs how weak they are, but it was enjoyable. The best thing about my mileage increasing is the subsequent increase in caloric intake! Also, a cold beer is just better after a hot run. If this week goes well with training, I'll start working on a summer/fall racing schedule.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Arvind Balaraman

I think y'all know as well as I do, but just to be sure, if you don't want to be sweating the cutoff come registration time in September, get that BQ -4:00 or even better, -5:00. One would think that 3 minutes is safe, but it was more than that for 2018.

As a reminder...

2014    -1:38
                            2015    -1:02
                            2016    -2:28
                            2017    -2:09
                            2018    -3:23

I know that I am going to cry this year. BQd by only 3 min.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dad: thanks for crushing my dreams a little more. I’ll make it this year.

DW: I kind of just remembered I had this race this weekend. I had planned it to be a race to use for marathon training but I haven’t actually done anything more than the 5k training and a few intervals. This should make for an interesting race.

Ace: good deal on DD3 being big enough for the stroller. Fatty McFatpants has been on a few walks. I haven’t taken him for a run though. Part of me thinks I should wait until he can sit up unsupported.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - The online running thing is actually free right now (if you have the hardware) since Zwift is technically still "testing" it. I'm planning on dropping it at the end of the year when they start to charge for it the way they do cycling.
                                What's the race this weekend?

Ace - My youngest is getting close to ready for stroller runs as well! Just another 4-6 weeks or so. I'm really psyched about that. So is DW, since I will be able to load up the tiniest one and take her with me some mornings and give her a bit more of a break.
                                I think the HM is probably my favorite racing distance at the moment as well.

Dad - I see you have jokes.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4