2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

pepperjack

pie man

I tend to crave something different each time.  But always beef jersey.  I took a real long time to try the boiled potatoes with salt but found they were good when I finally did.  Never summer I wanted anything they had with Nutella on it.

(Much shorter) trail race today.  I was going to get in the miles but I'm still a competitive jerk at heart.

32 for the week on 6 runs.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Congrats to the R2R2R folks!  Nicely done!  And to FB as well.  May you all enjoy mass quantities of beer, in the 3:20 spirit!

Question: is anyone else having some viewing issues with this thread?  For example, when I first went to the "racing page", I could see that Dad had posted today.  But then, when I clicked on the link, the last post that I saw was FB on page 125.

A bit later, I see that PJ has posted.  So I click on the link and go to his post, at the top of a new page, which just happens to be page 125.  Then, when I go back a page, I am still on page 125, with FB's comment being the last thing at the very bottom, and no way to get back to page 126.

Very odd - I'm not sure whether it's my cookies or the forum software.  I could test it by clearing my cookies, but that'd be way too much effort.

PJ - question for you - any thoughts about this race?  https://nfb.org/dot-dash

I need a short tune-up race next weekend, and I'm debating whether to stick to something down here, or come up to B-more for that.  (reasons for coming up to B-more - my employer has a large office in Columbia, and they're fielding a team for this race.).

Just wondering what the course is like.  It doesn't need to be ridiculously fast, but I don't want to drive up to Baltimore to race on cobblestones or super-hilly stuff and risk tweaking something.

My week: 65 miles plus 19 "miles" pool-running and other stuff.
      M: yoga and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running.
      T: 11.5 miles, including a track workout of 2x1600, 3x800 in 6:16, 6:09, 3:01, 2:59, 2:56.  Also injury prevention stuff and recovery swimming.  And at least another 9-10 miles of walking (not joking) looking for my pendant.
      W: 8 very easy to yoga (9:25), yoga, then another 4.5 very easy (9:17) plus drills, strides.  Massage in afternoon.  And at least 6 more miles looking for my pendant.  Plus trashcan diving.
      Th: light upper body strengthwork and core and 10.5 "miles" pool-running.
      F: 10 miles, including an attempted 8K tempo that became 5K (6:35/6:29/6:25/0:48).  Also very light injury prevention stuff and recovery swimming.
      Sa: 10 miles very easy (9:06) plus upper body strengthwork and core, and DIY yoga.
      Su: 21 miles moderately progressive (8:42 for first 7, 7:54 for next 9, 7:12 for last 5 - pulled back to be careful since it was pretty hot and humid).  Also light injury prevention stuff and recovery swimming.

Taper time.  Again.  Not sure if I should post a tapir or a groundhog.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I could see that Dad had posted today.  But then, when I clicked on the link, the last post that I saw was FB on page 125.

I saw a typo in my last post (and it triggers my OCD), so I fixed it; that makes it look like a new post.

Congrats to R2R2R and FB.

pepperjack

pie man

It should be a good course.  The first 1/4 would be a slight hill and the part up Covington.  Could be maybe 50 feet of cobbles by the science center but I can't tell from that map.  Sole of the city goes right through there too.

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen: I decided to try the workout. I blew up and felt destroyed before I finished the first set. Thanks for the suggestion since I would have skipped it had I not accepted the fact training begins now. There is a lot of work to be done.

dw: glad you found the necklace charm/pendant/whatever they called. Even if it was free I’d have been digging through trash if it meant something to me. I can’t believe someone would throw it away without thinking ‘this belongs to someone’ but people are weird. Good luck with the ‘Be More’ town race. When you say ‘tune up’ are you saying you’re trying to see if your goal for grandmas is accurate/possible?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Good luck with the ‘Be More’ town race. When you say ‘tune up’ are you saying you’re trying to see if your goal for grandmas is accurate/possible?

I do tune-ups because when I don't race regularly, I lose my "race groove" - if that makes sense.  I never race well my first time after a long gap.  It's been 7 weeks since I last raced, and so I need to race something as a rust buster before heading up to Duluth.  A 5K-6K works for getting in the groove, but I'll still have plenty of time to recover.

Has nothing to do with my goal for Gmas. a) I won't have a good sense of goal time until I know what the weather is; b) I pace by effort anyway, so no need for a race to set paces; c) I race 5Ks poorly off of marathon training anyway, so not a good indicator of fitness.

I'm racing just to race.

Sorry about the problems with the workout.  Sometimes it's just not your day.

PJ - thanks for the sit rep on the race.  I may do it.  Sig others' birthday is that weekend, so whether I race on Saturday or Sunday depends on what he wants to do that weekend - I'm going to work around him.  If he wants to go out on Saturday night, then I'll race Saturday morning.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

just finished deena kastor's book. highly recommend.

enjoyed mcben's photo album from R2R2R2R2R2R2R2R2R with cdave - next, we need a recap!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dw I’m telling myself it’s one day and just one day. There is obviously a need for improvement and I think there is more to it than it being 65F and having 2 days off to make me feel so poorly during a training run. One day doesn’t break a training plan it’s what I do ABOUT today that makes a difference.

I always forget you run off feel. I totally understand the ‘racing to stay in racing mindset’ because I feel like getting back into that mindset has taken longer than expected.

rlk link to the book? It would be the third book I read this year.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- lol, "link to the book"? amazon.com...?

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Congrats to ultrakooks: fornobravo, climberdave, and mcben!!!

pepperjack

pie man

brew- lol, "link to the book"? amazon.com...?

Yourlocallibrary.com

i just finished it as well.  I enjoy how she lives her life (post-success, I suppose).  Like when she talked about going into the souk in Morocco while there for XC worlds.

The alamosa group turning on her was a bit odd.  She sorts just stops talking about them (and goes right into talking about meeting her husband). Definely plenty if dudes later down the line that seem happy to train with her.

rlk link to the book? 

http://bfy.tw/IL1D

(Can't. Help. Myself.)

McBen ~ Great pics! No sunglasses? Ugh.

mattw4jc

My local library.com says

"This search returned no results.

Did You Mean:

deena castor"

So I clicked on that (knowing it was wrong) and it still said no results. Why suggest it then??

Good job on the Grand Canyon run guys! Cool pics too! A couple of local friends did it in late April. A heckuva way to spend a day.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Wow and congrats to FB and to McDave!  Great R2R2R photos, though McBen's expression just seems to get increasingly "WTF am I DOING?"

pepperjack

pie man

As long as it didn't recommend Cynthia Plaster Caster.

(don't look that up)