2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

pepperjack

pie man

I mostly decided last minute to pick up the third marathon (and over) and get the maniac check mark.  After the 50k I was thinking I could find another low key trail race and just grind it out, not worry about time or anything.  This particular weekend seems the be the peak of New York season as there was Lake Placid, another road deal around the lake by Cooperstown, and this trail one in Ontario County (counterintuitivly not on Lake Ontario, but south of Rochester).  The road ones were typically priced, Ontario summit was cheaper so I went with that.  Plus the group had a web address ‘roadsarepoison.com’ and that’s too good.

I didn’t really have a plan to get up there, Airbnb had a few thing, but a lot of that was camping.  I thought about just leaving early and making the whole drive before, it’s a little long but straight up from here and actually easier than most other places in NY (including the city if you’re not going in the middle of the night or during an ice storm that one time). I started looking at hotels and found one that was Airbnb priced in Bath, north of Corning and that made my decision for me.  I left right after work, however, I made a stop on the Mall to catch a bit of the Slackers who were playing for free in the sculpture garden by the National Gallery.  And that also gave the traffic a chance to clear.  Still at 7:30 with a bit of a drive I wasn’t settled in until after midnight.

The start wasn't stupid early so I got some sleep (more than Thursday night probably) and made the rest of the 45 minute drive relaxed and easy in the morning.  The park is smallish and located on the top of the hill by Canandiagua Lake, although I could not see it.  The valley on the other side was dry, but had a nice overlook.  There was a full and a half, but the half started later.  A small crowd lined up, including a guy with a bigger beer belly than me, which was surprising.   I had checked out the course, which was a little complicated as it left the park grounds and didn’t show that section.  But the elevation profile had a respectable climb from mile 6-10 (and again on he second loop).  I had been out to catoctin in April and did 4.5 hours/20 miles on that beast as a test for the 50k, so I knew I could grind out that much if not much else.  It also kept me from attempting something more crazy like the 50 miler last month.

I really don't know what to say about the switchbacks on this course.  They were insane, almost the whole time in th woods you saw people going other ways.  Dirty German has a bit of that, but this was miles.  And long sections where you were seeing people that were maybe half a mile ahead, too.  It did make the climb from the valley back up somewhat easier. But it just stretched out so much.  I’m used to at some level just going straight up any hill and getting it over with, maybe that’s just the peak bagger in me. In fact, we came down a steep section that was a mile or less, so if the course was backwards I might have preferred that.

First lap was ok, I had a lot of company for most of it.  Felt squirrelly for the second half of that loop but legs were pretty fresh.  I ran a lot even on the climb because it was 10-15 feet of little hill and then flat or even some down after.  If I stopped I felt silly so I just pushed the up and then recovered.  Second lap was not as smooth.  I had taken a bit of a tumble very early (probably mile 4) and when I stopped at the aid station 2ish miles later I realized my lower leg had really puffed up.  It wasn’t the worst pain, but it freaked one of the people at the aid station out and I was thinking about it for a while.  I fell again on the second loop and I started to wonder if it was the shoes I was wearing.  They are heavier than my others, I guess.  Lesson is don’t buy off-brand New Balance trail shoes from Kohl’s.  But I had luck with the previous pair, so I don’t know.

The third fall I landed mostly on my face and that really had me dial the running back.  There was virtually no one around for this loop and I figured I could just keep moving and finish up.  I had misplaced my watch and was using the phone strava app, which had the first loop at 14 miles and either it was long like every trail race ever, or the app was unreliable.  Either way I knew it would say 28 when I finished.  And when I got back to the start area, I also knew I had a mile to go yet.  Time wise I was around 5:50 at ‘mile 27’ so I thought I had a shot at sub 6 if I just ran it I needed from there.  But I was something like 6:03 officially so I didn’t manage that.  Post race there was beer and burritos and a small awards ceremony.  They went two deep and I managed second in 40-49 so I got a bandanna thing.  And a few more people filtered in, but that was pretty much it.  Drove down to check out the lake.  Maybe on peak bagging stop in PA that I could drive up.  And was home before midnight to crash out and sleep the rest of the weekend away.

Now I don’t know what my plans are.  I really, really hate running long in the summer.  There’s going to be a steeplechase and a under armour mountian run in Vermont some point in August that is tempting .  And I have to give up any ideas about a last minute qualifier, so I can just pick a much later fall race and train properly for once.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

SClever - Nice RR, and awesome that you got your phone back. Encrypted, by chance? You really seemed to handle the downhills well. I have a running buddy who did a similarly downhill marathon a week or two ago who started having major quad issues by mile 15 or so. And it's pretty awesome you were able to get that jacket back without any kind of markings on the bag. How'd that work?
      I guess "nothing remarkable" is relative. My week had more mileage than you've done, while yours had a PR 5+ minutes faster than mine!
      The only definite races I have planned are the ones in my signature, and not until early October and mid-November. I might jump into a couple 5ks at end of this month/beginning of July, though. One would be a tiny little "5k" (actually measured at 3.2 miles) in my hometown, and perhaps an Independence day race to see if I can get myself a shiny new 5k PR.

Ilana - How contained are those fires? There was a really big fire in my parents' part of the state a month or so ago that took nearly a couple weeks to get under control. Fortunately it's an extremely rural area and few homes were lost, but there were a lot of cattle and wheat fields that burned which is going to cause issues for years for those people.

Speaking of rural areas, all of you city-dwellers should get a kick out of this:
      My town is quite small and has (had) one traffic light. Not a green/yellow/red light, but rather just a flashing red light at a 4-way stop. A completely unnecessary light I might add, given that there were already stop signs at the intersection. It's also harvest season, and someone driving a combine accidentally took out one of the two wooden poles used to suspend the light over the road. The pole went down in pieces, the light crashed into the intersection and shattered, and after being cleared up life returned to normal, though without the annoyingly unnecessary flashing light. Such is life in small(ish) town Oklahoma.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

AceHarris

SC: hard to say my goal for sure just yet, but sub-3:00 is definitely on my mind. I’ve pretty much decided to run Indy and will probably sign up soon as the price goes up. It’s 1,000 less feet of elevation gain from my 3:05 effort so that should help. Also, what compression socks did you wear at the marathon? I like running in my compression socks for long runs or even just recovery, but would like to try the calf sleeves.

Rovatti: I realize I made a calf comment directed to the wrong person (FB). My bad. I hope you recover quickly.

Brew: is 223 miles a weekly record for you? I think that’d be a monthly record for me.

DW: enjoy the taper. You could have someone hide your pendant in the trash again to pass the time?

Forgot to mention (because I know the anticipation was high) I’m still adapting to orthotics. The initial “temp” pair were doing well, then the “real” ($$$) ones came in and I’m having trouble with them. They give me arch and shin pain. I went back to the temp pair until I follow up with PT tomorrow.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

OMR

SC:  Congrats again, enjoyed the RR.  I don't think I've ever felt that "euphoric moment" you describe.  Maybe I need to listen to Miley Cyrus more often.

Ace:  French Open:  I really enjoy watching Nadal.

matt:  Congrats on the mileage PR!

Rovatti:  Sorry about the calf, hope that heals up quickly.

McBen:  I didn't think sub-23:00 sounded all that bad either, especially coming off of R2R2R.

Brew:  Rehab is going well.  This week will be a test, as I am planning on increasing the mileage a bit.  Nice week for you...well, except for not getting any beer in Seattle.

Keen:  Solid week...lots of 10s.

Dad:  So if that is the intended purpose, do you have any idea what would be an indicator that a runner is not using his/her general strength?

ilana:  I have a high school friend who lives in Colorado and has been sharing photos of the fires.  Stay safe!

PJ:  That sounds...umm...fun?  Congrats on 2nd AG!

Keen:  I think the farmer felt the same way about that flashing light as you did, and decided to do something about it.

ilana ~ Your house looks like it will be gorgeous! My son and his GF are in your 'neighborhood' - they are on a post-graduation (before starting 'real' life ... aka work) trip ... this segment is Colo Springs to Mesa Verde to 4 Corners to Grand Staircase-Escalante to Grand Canyon.

Today's weather didn't do anything to help DkW acclimate, but at 65, cloudy, and low dew point, I almost had some spring in my step.

oregonrw

SC: Congrats on the PR and sounds like you ran a really strong race!  I'm glad the weather worked out well too.  A friend of mine ran - she was a little freaked out by the pre-race email concerning bears in the area.  Fortunately she didn't see any.

Rovatti; Sorry to hear about your calf issues.  I like the Adizero Tempo a lot, hope they work out for you.

Keen: Ha! I like that you've gone from a one-light town to a no-light town.  That's small

McBen: I agree with some others -- didn't you just run up the Grand Canyon or something??  That's got to take some recovery.

Dad:  Dh is from Annandale.

OMR: Nice job on 30 mpw - it seems (to me) like your recovery has gone relatively quickly but that's probably not how it seems to you.

I finished last week around 38 miles on 5 days -- I was planning on running yesterday but it was raining/hailing/awful all day and I just never made it out.  5.5 this morning.

Dad:  So if that is the intended purpose, do you have any idea what would be an indicator that a runner is not using his/her general strength?

For me, two things stand out: 1) I don't feel like I have any pop (explosive power) when I try to accelerate (or jump for that matter; my vertical is about 1 inch) and 2) when I run anything moderately fast (say faster than LT), my legs fatigue way faster than breathing becomes an issue, but I recover super quick -- so I don't think it is 'endurance' or 'speed.' Good question.

Dad:  Dh is from Annandale.

That's where we live.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen: Ha! I like that you've gone from a one-light town to a no-light town.  That's small

Keen: I think the farmer hated the light as much as everyone else. The comment above is awesome though. Heck....you're not even a town if you don't have a DQ (Texas stop sign) but I've been to a place as small as your town. I feel like a city slicker when I'm there but I might fit in better than most.

Jim I didn't know you did the Lake Tahoe Relay. I've wanted to do it however I think most of my team "enjoys" doing the RTO and probably doesn't want to switch "because we do the RTO" but I'm sure it's the same thing for your team doing Lake Tahoe....2 days vs 1 for the RTO.

rlk Did you do the Lake Tahoe Relay? I saw a photo of the impala team on their social media account and it kind of looks like you however I think she is wearing different color sunglasses than you do in most of your photos.

a-a-ron It's a personal best. I tried to mask it as much as possible. Actually I think I had one week longer when I went to Jamaica. LOTS of running that weekend and the weekend after.

I need to order new prescription lenses. I have to go in an order them because Oakley won't let me do it through their website. Last time I went (2 years ago) it took over an hour and at that point the lady had to see if my Oakley lenses had any special coatings or if they were polarized.....I'm pretty sure they would be called "polarized _____" if they were. I'm sure it's going to be cheaper to buy a whole new frame/lens combo. Maybe my insurance will cover it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

oregonrw

Dad: Small world! And now I have that Steely Dan song stuck in my head.

Brew: I just had to get new glasses.  Every time I order them they seem to get more expensive.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

I am also woefully behind, but I am not going to force an entire catchup-penance on myself like Jim did.

brew- yes I was! Ooh, I will check out their social media stuff. A few of us were lamenting out general lack of diversity over the weekend - so it's possible that was me, but at least half of us are youngish white women with brown ponytails and blue clothing, so who knows. And lol @ recognizing sunglasses. I almost lost those this weekend and would have been quite sad - but we found 'em.
                        update- if i'm seeing the same photo you did , it's from last year and funnily enough you are probably mistaking kinase for me. she was on RWOL before your time (and on my team before i joined), but most folks here know her.

jim- re. dicing an onion - the food processor is a b*tch to wash!

sclever- i'm retroactively enjoying your marathon-outfit-optimizing. 
                        "From roughly mile 3 or 4 until about 20, the race was pretty uneventful" - this is what we all hope for every time! also A+ usage of the word "ennui". huge congrats to you and Miley on the PR and BQ!!!!!!!!!!! it was definitely all the half-tights.

rovatti- Sad calf condolences. don't have any advice to give, but i'm hoping it clears up soon and that XT is somewhat enjoyable.

Ilana- Ugh, the fires look/sound awful. I can finally empathize after what the Bay Area experienced last fall. stay safe and don't hesitate to skip runs/outdoor time (as much as that sucks)!!

glasses- i get mine from a place that I think charged $150 initially for frame+lens, and the other week I walked in with a new Rx and in 30min they popped out the old lenses, shaved down (or whatever..?) new ones, and it was just $50. get to keep frames I like and $50 every time I need to update the Rx isn't bad. Contacts, on the other hand..... pricey! Especially with astigmatism. Can't wait 'til my vision stops getting worse so I can get Lasik. Apparently (age-wise) this should have already happened -_-
                        brew- check them out, the brand is Jins. They have a store here but I think you can do it all by website/mail if you need.

Yes, Tahoe Relays! 73mi of road around the lake, 7 runners, lots of hills, altitude, etc. We had an Open and Masters team, and I was one of a few "support" people there for the weekend - not racing (I had no desire to!), but jumping in with most racers for a few miles to keep them company. This is a smallish race and it strings out very quickly, so most racers are actually alone the whole time! There's also no "aid" which is particularly important at altitude, so support crew is there to provide that as well. Support is still physically tough- I ended up doing ~11mi, most at (someone's) race pace and a few miles of just jogging, over the course of an 8hour day. It was a beautiful day on Saturday - great conditions for racing, except for some gnarly headwinds in the NW section of the lake.

A funky GPS file: https://www.strava.com/activities/1628212528
                        I pressed start/stop on my watch each time I ran, but only "save" at the end of the day, so it'd be just one GPS file. If you zoom in you can see the sections I ran, but Strava draws a straight line to connect the gaps in runs.

So while I did not race a singular leg of the relay, two sections in particular left me quite sore yesterday/today - a ~2mi/5% grade hill that I ran with a very speedy teammate (she averaged 6:30 pace on the 13.3mi/1700ft leg - I could only keep up with her for the 2mi!) and also 5mi (containing 2mi of ~8% downhill) i ran later in the day with a former OTQ teammate, who kept us between 6:10-6:50 pace.

Sadly did not run into Jim!! I take it LMJS did a mixed masters team or something? So our timing probably didn't line up very well. 
                        Open and Masters teams came away with the W, for a few years running now.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I am _also_ behind - it's the Monday morning trend, it seems.

SC - congrats so very much on your race.  Well done - that's got to be hugely satisfying to run fast AND to execute well.  As for the mile markers - WTF?

Rune and Matt  - congrats to both on the weekly distance PRs.

Rovatti - my sympathies on the calf pain.  It's too bad you're not down here, so we could pull you into our pool-running crew.  It really is better when you have company.

OMR - 30 miles is great!

Ace - seems like the DC area has weather much like yours.  I'm just appreciating it for the acclimation benefits (except for, as Dad notes, today).  As for 5Ks, 14:29 is really slumming it....

McBen - fitness checks can be painful  But hopefully mostly upward from here.  Could you also still be recovering from R2R2R?

Brewing - taper madness is definitely hitting.  I actually have lots to do at work the next few days, but sitting still is so hard.  As for "clear" I've seen it advertised.  Dunno - Pre-check has worked well for my needs.

Keen - I like 200s with 200 rest as an "ease into it and have run" workout, like you're doing.    For the record, I can't run fasted either. And your town makes Wichita look like a metropolis.

Ilana - I'll be interested to read your write up on the fires.  Sounds awful from an inescapable breathing perspective.

PJ - you have earned that maniac title.

RLK - I've found that cheering a race can be surprisingly exhausting, never mind doing what you've been doing.

Hi to the rest of y'all - ArvindOregon.  I think I got everyone.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Last week for me was 50 miles of running and "12" miles of pool-running.

M: upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" pool-running.
                            T: 12 miles - 3 mile warm-up (8:47), 800, 1600, 1600, 800 in 3:02, 6:05, 5:56, 2:46.  Then a 4.5 mile cool-down (8:58) plus injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
                            W: 9 miles very easy (9:03) plus DIY yoga.  Massage in afternoon.
                            Th: upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" pool-running.

F: 11 miles - 3 mile warm-up (8:40), 5K tempo in 19:56 (6:37/6:19/6:16/0:44), Then a 5 mile cool-down (9:16) plus injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Sa: 8 miles very easy (8:53) and then upper body weights/core and DIY yoga.

Su: 10 miles aerobic (7:51) followed by light injury prevention work and DIY yoga.

Today was light upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" pool-running.

The weather is not looking great for Grandma's right now.  Starts around 60, ends in the high 60s, and very humid.  Still time for that to change, I hope.  If it doesn't, I'll get a chance to test out all the heat acclimation I've been doing this cycle.  The good news is that Saturday and Sunday were both in the 70s with nearly 100% humidity, and I was decently comfortable both days.

Legs are feeling flipping fantastic, so that's a plus.  I feel better and sharper than I did before Boston.  I just wish I could get the weather to show off my fitness.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Strict WTF adherent

PJ - Those switchbacks at Dirty German. Is that person ahead of me or behind me? Am I going the wrong way? Anyway, congrats on the AG award.

RLK - Yes to Lasik. I did it about 10 years ago and just now need reading glasses (which is normal). Reading illuminated signs and re-focusing on certain objects are difficult, but well worth the benefits.

Oregon - Hail is an automatic no-go, I imagine.

DW - Things seem to be lining up nicely for you. Can't relate to legs feeling fantastic during a taper though.

Regarding my slowness and residual fatigue from R2R2R ... that's probably a factor. My legs feel a bit heavy, and my turnover is noticeably slow. So I likely gave up a little time there.

Things also are little muddied from my standpoint because I can't always separate running/training fatigue from the fatigue that comes with being a middle-aged father of three. In this case, I may have mistaken the former for the latter. It's usually the other way around.

That said, I've run 18:30 on this course. A 4:30 slowdown is a tough pill to swallow, even if that was six years and 30 lbs ago.

Whatever. There's nothing to do but train and see what happens.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

OMR - That's entirely possible. I know that people have complained before that the light was too low and anyone in a piece of big equipment would either hit the light or make a weird route around it while in the intersection.

Oregon - This is actually still pretty big compared to the town I grew up in. Even in that whole county to this day there is only one traffic light - a similarly unnecessary flashing yellow at a highway intersection ~8 miles from the nearest town.

DWave - Physically running fasted isn't an issue for me (at least to 20mi), it was doing the math that was an issue. I could have sworn that when I looked at my watch I needed 1.6 miles to get to 15 for the LR. .8mi out and back plus what I was already at *should* have given me a pretty exact turnaround point. Either my carb-deprived brain messed up the math or I flat-out misread my watch.
                                It's awesome that you're feeling in such great shape, but bummer about the (possible) weather. I know this isn't exactly the time of year for it, but have you ever considered putting together an open-ended training cycle and just hopping into a race that looks like a favorable course and weather once you feel like you've hit that peak fitness?

McB - I heartily agree with Lasik. I had mine done about the same time you did. Easily one of the best decisions I've made.
                                Father-of-three fatigue: Ha! I know what you mean!

I had an nice run this morning, partially because the heat didn't seem to bother me much and partly because my HR was silly low throughout despite the workout yesterday and what I consider to be a decent easy-effort pace given the terrain and conditions. I did see a bunch of cyclists spread out from about miles 1-5.5 of my run, which is really odd since I'm almost always the only one doing anything athletic on these roads. Turns out there's a week-long bike tour across Oklahoma going on that just happens to go through my little town this year.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4