2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

oregonrw

Darkwave: Congrats again, and really interesting RR.  That's a huge PR!

Ucan: I haven't tried it, but I have a good friend who swears by it, in part because she has celiac disease and feels like it's the best way for her to fuel without issues. But even she admit the taste is...well, just bad.

Keen: Glad your tempo went well, and the hawk didn't feel the need to correct your form.  A red-tail landed on the fence in our backyard over the weekend, hung out there for a bit as if he was surveying his domain, then took off again. He was a monster - I kept my dog inside. Beautiful birds.

ilana and McBen: Hope the speedwork goes well.

Alistair: Welcome!

Brewing: Eating on the run is not one of my skills -- probably in part because I rarely practice.  Good luck on your solo weekend - I'm sure it will be fine.

6 miles with strides this morning, and I penciled in a tentative plan for CIM training last night. I think I'll run one more short race this summer, then start CIM training at the end of July. I've already run two races this year, which is more than I usually do, but both times I won my age group and a decent prize so now I feel like I need to keep the streak going. Ha. (Small races for the win!) I'll also try to plan for a 10k or half sometime in late October / early Nov.

AceHarris

Keen:  Speaking of things making you feel old, a friend of my mom's saw a photo of me with one of our college grads and asked if that was my daughter, or maybe my granddaughter.  Ouch.  Nice T work this morning!

On my trail run last weekend I crossed paths with another, "slightly" younger trail runner. He politely gave me the right of way on the single-track and said, "Morning, Sir."  SIR...SIR!! I'm only 32 and had a hat on so he couldn't see my grey hair. I immediately picked up the pace to compensate for my sadness.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

OMR - Ouch indeed! And thanks!
        I tried Shot Bloks a while back and while I like them overall they are harder to chew in the later miles than I'd like, and they get really tough if they get too cold. If I use them anymore it's only during the early parts of a run.

Oregon - Hawks and owls are very common here, which I think has lead directly to the relative scarcity of small, yippie dogs in the area. They're just too easy for a big bird to carry off.

Ace - I think picking up the pace is a perfectly healthy and normal reaction to being called "sir"! My wife gets an odd kick out of occasionally pointing out the ever-increasing amount of "salt in my pepper". She's lucky I like her or I wouldn't put up with that!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

AceHarris

I once ate 2 shot bloks that had been in my car for an unknown amount of time due to forgetting fuel for my long run. They have a surprisingly long opened shelf life, however, to CKs point, they were even harder to chew.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

OMR

Ace:  I started to go gray early as well, but it's still as thick as can be, so I'm just happy it's still there.  Last time I got my hair cut, I told the person cutting it that I was thinking of just shaving it off.  Her response:  "Yeah, you don't want to do that."  "Why?"  "You wouldn't like it."  (What is she trying to tell me????) 

Felt pretty good at the start of my run this morning, so I decided to push the pace just a little.  10.1 @ 8:28...first 10+ run since January 5th.  Everything (knee, etc.) felt surprisingly good.  Next couple of days will be lighter for me; in fact, one could say that tomorrow, I will "Golytely."  A few of you older folks might know what I'm talking about, am I right, rovatti??

Running Problem

Problem Child

ace & keen I tell my wife I didn't have any gray hairs until I met her. When she rolls her eyes I tell her "well if I had any before you the women were nice enough not to point it out"

ace undated, unknown clif shots....nice. I only ate 2 and DW put them back in the "water bottle/food/snack" bin. I promptly threw them out for fear of them getting even older/harder, or ants.

omr way to go. That's pretty good recovery. Oh and there is a local law firm with a simlar name.

I really don't want to run. 84-86 mph forecast after work with 16-19 mph winds. Chicago isn't usually warm and windy is it? 6E,3T, 2T, 1T, with 3/2/1 minute rest and a cool down jog back home. This shouldn't be hard AT ALL...Oh and my water heater decided to stop working Monday night. I'm currently waiting on the plumber to call me about checking it out today. 4 year old water heater and the manufacturer only pays for labor to fix it for the first year. $98/hr to have it diagnosed plus a $10 field call. Parts are covered so then it's another $98/hr to install whatever needs to be fixed.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Chicago isn't usually warm and windy is it? 

Ummmm....

OMR - 10 miles is awesome!

I started going grey in my 20s.  I'm probably about 40-50% gray, but I dye my hair, so I don't know the exact percentage.

Did a yoga class today; did some pool-running the last 3 days.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

OMR - Awesome that things felt so good on that longer run. Hopefully that trend continues. While I don't positively understand your reference, I'm pretty sure I get the implication.

Brew - I've also told me wife that first bit regarding my hair. I'll have to remember your second line the next time it comes up, though.
                  That does look a bit toasty but the wind could actually help, especially if you can keep it a crosswind.
                  I had to replace my water heater a few months ago, well out of any warranty. That would have bought so many race entries and pairs of shoes...

DWave - How's the recovery coming?

Hair - I subscribe to my grandfather's philosophy regarding hair loss & grey hair: I don't mind the ones that turn grey, it's the ones that turn loose I don't care for.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

dex8425

UCAN: if it requires regular use for a benefit, that doesn't sound like something I'd use. I'd thought about trying it though.

Hair- I'm 27 and am already 20% grey, probably because I practice family law. Everyone says I look younger than I am though, so maybe it'll be helpful to look more mature.

OMR: Riding bikes a lot (more training hours than I ever did running) and doing occasional bike races. I stink at criteriums but excel in hilly road races and time trials. Wouldn't say I'll never run again, and I do run occasionally but I'm better at cycling than running, so sticking with it for now.

Brew- I've done a lot of DIY stuff at our house the last 4 years and I haven't had to touch our water heater yet thankfully, other than cleaning out the bottom.  Our furnace on the other hand...

Running Problem

Problem Child

Water heater fixed. $98 plus $20 to mail back the old broken parts replaced for free under warranty. NeRP gets another bath and has started gaining forward momentum.

dex My furnace is in the attic....Not sure I really want to mess with that thing. I told one coworker "just remember, just because you bought a new house doesn't mean everything will work. This is 4 years old and almost out of warranty."

I'll see what I can do about a cross wind keen. The plan is to run the T pace on the same 3ish mile loop I did the LAST workout on. It is probably as flat as I'll get in my area without going to a track which I feel is important preparing for a flat race. After so many people saying the flat beats you up more than rolling hills or downhill (CIM) I'm trying to do most training to simulate race day. Oh and I found out Chicago uses Gatorade fuel/drink mix so I can at least use the same stuff in training. Doing some math it should be about 2 hours of running tonight.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

OMR - I am no longer faster than you. 8:28 is probably my tempo pace right now. Also, my SU will be doing the same on Sunday and Monday.  Hope it, uh, goes well.

Dex - you're running again, yay!  Also, I'm twice your age and yet you are grayer than I am.  Both of my parents went gray very very late in life, and I've evidently inherited that: right now it's just isolated hairs near my part, mostly, though I think the rate of gray is accelerating.

Dwave - my grocery store now carries Chirps - I recall you are a fan.  Which flavors do you like? They have BBQ and cheddar.

Oregon - winning your AG, that's awesome.  Sounds like you've got a good macro-plan; are you using a particular training plan for CIM?

MattMy preferred shoe color is clear(ance) - I laughed!  And I agree!

Brew - ugh, it sounds even hotter there than here.

Alistair - welcome.  I'm also just getting going training again after an injury last July, though I actually started running again in January (all of 41 miles that month).  I've got a half coming up in August, and am contemplating another half in October, and maybe either a half of full in December or January (hi Dave). Did you do xt of any sort while you were injured?

Hi everyone else.  The speedwork sucked, but so do I, so that's that.  I ran a ladder,  .25, .5, 1 mile and back down, on the rec trail so not perfectly flat, or at least that's my excuse. Still, it's good to be pushing, even if I'm still damn slow.  It was nice to run outside the last few days, but the smoke is predicted to return this weekend, so I am probably going to try to do my LR on Friday (tomorrow I have to do a short run because I've got a dentist appointment, getting a crown on a cracked tooth) because I'll probably be back on the treadmill on Saturday.

pepperjack

pie man

Passed by what I have to assume was street view by the water today,  summer running will be preserved for posterity.  Ugh.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

all, thanks for the feedback on ucan, agree that 1) it tastes like shit, 2) running food success is indeed all anecdotal. i was excited that this couldve been one that was actually proven, but i guess we're not there yet!

as for making the body better to fat burn when carbs have run out - sure, using ucan can do that, but a truly good diet can do that better.

matt- haha. agree on the 'clearance' shoe color preference!

OMR- yay for double digit miles!!

oregon- yay for CIM! see you there.

ace - haha, ugh. i was recently referred to as ma'am, and i am younger than you! it felt weird.

brewdwave "ummms" you because chicago is frequently warm and windy. it's nicknamed The Windy City, you know... something about a big lake Smile

dex- so what spurred on your recent run? " I stink at criteriums but excel in hilly road races and time trials. " - sounds like a distance-runner-to-cyclist transition. big engine but light body!

BTW i'm coming to your neck of the woods for a wedding this weekend. (also, i am a groomsperson. lol.)

hope it's not too hot/humid -  i can't handle that (for running) anymore!

Ilana- I had the cracked tooth/crown power combo a few months ago. Not fun at all!! And I think it's not a great one because cold beverages are still a bit sensitive in that area... Ugh, I hate dental stuff.

PJ- that's funny. i like to streetview parts of running routes that I plan before traveling

i guess being a 26y/o female, i shouldn't weigh in on the greying / hair loss conversation...

i know, i know. my time will come.

ran 8mi while half asleep at 6am today. feels like marathon season is approaching...

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

Rlk I know. I was kinda joking. Last year was one of the hottest years for the marathon there. I think their max/min temps in October are my daily temps. I think her AND max were the ones telling me to train for heat instead of avoiding it with mostly opening runs.

To tonight’s run was awesome. By that I mean I finished my workout and was glad it was done. Especially the last Tempo/threshold mile.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - You got by with a really cheap water heater fix, nice!
                                From Strava it looks like you really nailed that workout last night.

Totally jealous of NeRP sleeping through the night.

Ilana - "SU" still makes me smile.

PJ - Where's the fun in not telling us where you were at when the street view car came by??

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4