2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

pepperjack

pie man

It was the promenade.  So not a car, but a person with a backpack.  If/when it goes live i'll definitely post.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen I wouldn't say "nailed" as mile 3 or 3T, and most of the second 1.5 miles of this run, were in the headwind. Mile 3 was HORRIBLE and I could just feel my form change to a heel strike/rolling stride. I had nothing left. It's probably the point where I switched to monitoring heart rate (171+ is entering the danger zone) and tell myself it's the point of the workout. 2T went better but that last 1T was rough. I had to seriously drop the hammer to even get under 7:00 pace because I was averaging 7:15 for the whole first half of it. Same thing happened when it was 3T 3 min + 2T 2 min. Surprisingly, standing still/walking for the rest then starting back up felt really weird. I felt super light on my feet and my pace reflected it. The 3T was the hardest part of this workout. Possibly due to the wind, possibly due to it being the longest, and possibly being due to it involving more elevation gain than the other runs. Even doing the workout last sunday with an hour of easy running before a 1T run wasn't bad and I was afraid the 1T would be hard to get back into or hold after that long of running. This was harder.

PJ I've seen the street cars twice. Once was across from my work but they were getting coffee.  I avoided asking them a bunch of questions as I'm sure they get the same ones all the time.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

This is one of my favorite street view via backpack.  If you follow the whole string you seem the put ashore from the National Geographic boat and then cross the width of the island before getting to this spot:

https://goo.gl/maps/AdTSyghcrFp

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

wow that is awesome!!!! i'd take the job of hiking all over the world with a streetview-backpack

i have some local favorite street-view spots. will find one to share...

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

oregonrw

What is streetview?

OMR: 10 miles -- awesome!

Brewing: Glad the T workout went well-ish?  And the water heater wasn't too expensive a fix.

Ilana: Nice ladder.  I'm sure the speed will come back - that's what I'm telling myself anyway.  I think I'm going to try a Daniels' plan -- I like the mix of workouts and feel like I want to try something new. I've used Pfitz for all of my marathons previously, and while I think it's a good plan I can see myself getting bored with it if I use it again.

Darkwave: How's recovery going? How long do you take off after a good marathon?

I had to be in court very early this morning (and more than an hour away), so I haven't run yet.  I'll run something after work tonight. Tomorrow will be back to the morning, but both my kids are finally out of school for summer, which means I get to start my morning run almost an hour later than usual.  That's exciting!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Recovery goes as it will.  I'm not putting a clock on it - basically I want to shed some excess fitness now and make sure I'm really recovered before going into fall training.

Basically I trained for the Houston Half and then built on that for Boston, and then turned right around and added Grandma's.  So I've incurred some debt that needs to be paid back now with lotsa rest.    I'm not sure when I'll run again yet - I'm honestly just doing whatever the heck I want to do right now.

On that note, this morning was yoga and 7.5 "miles" of pool-running (I know pool-running doesn't sound like fun, but I have a friend I meet on Thursdays, so it's like a coffee break).

I'm not doing any pool-running this week or next unless I have someone to chat with.

Ilana - I eat the sea salt chirps - I guess you don't have those?  We have cheddar here but I've never tried them since cheddar cheese is a migraine trigger.  I do want to try the barbecue ones and am about to order some on Amazon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

... one could say that tomorrow, I will "Golytely."  A few of you older folks might know what I'm talking about, am I right, rovatti??

oooooof.  Yes indeed... the prep was brutal.

UCAN - I'm a fan.  1 scoop of lemon (with seltzer water) is not that bad (a bit like lumpy flour).   Easy to digest.  Slow release carbs.  Pricey though... $60 for a small canister of "super starch"

Jim E

Hi All,

Dwave- Hey, great race report, and you seem ho have done a decent job of pacing (but we already knew that). It was nice that your training buddy did well too. Congrats again!

rlk - That's great about your teammate OTQ-ing at Grandma's. No doubt there will be others. That reminds me of a little story. I might have mentioned this at the time, I dunno.

After my little adventure at CIM '15 I picked up some new Facebook friends. One of these was Linnabah Snyder. She ran CIM with the plan of getting her OTQ. The requirement then was sub-2:43. Towards the end of the race it became apparent that she was going to miss her goal, but she did not give up, finishing in 2:44:59. That was a PR, but shame about the OT. Then three days later they changed the 'B' standard to 2:45, and she was in with one second to spare! If this were a movie, she would have triumphed at the trials, but alas she got injured in training, started the trials anyway (because of course) and ended up with a DNF.  That was two years ago, and she's still climbing back from that.

Ilana - Speaking of climbing back, that's great progress, and racing now. Hopefully your local breathing air has more air in it now.

What are chirps?

Golytely! Ew!

Street View in the Falklands, where there is a distinct shortage of streets. Heh.

Grey hair? Pfft. Get back to me when people are offering you seats on crowded trains. Sometimes I accept, too.

mattw4jc

Oregon - I'm with you on having done Pfitz several times. I've done it for my last 3 fulls. I can't get excited about doing it again. But I also can't get excited about marathon training in general either.

Streetview - I was captured on my bike commute home a couple of years ago. I'm glad they blurred out my knees so I won't be recognized in public and have all kinds of autograph seekers bugging me. I think it takes them 4-6 months from the time they capture until posted.

Speed Surplus

Women's OTQ times - The first place woman at tunnel ran an OTQ time (2:44:22) and got 4th place overall 

Or so I thought, until I looked her up and realized that she's Canadian. No trials for her.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Running Problem

Problem Child

Women's OTQ times - The first place woman at tunnel ran an OTQ time (2:44:22) and got 4th place overall 

Or so I thought, until I looked her up and realized that she's Canadian. No trials for her.

(lmao emoji)

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I don't believe you can run a US OTQ at Tunnel - too much drop.  The drop for Tunnel is 14.66 meters per KM.  Has to be 3.25 meters per KM or less to count for an OTQ.

Jim - Chirps are snack chips made out of crickets.

yoga and swimming today.  Starting to get a hankering to run again.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

DW: I'd be more than happy to take some of that "excess fitness" you're shedding. Enjoy the recovery.

Ended up skipping the 1 mile race on the airport runway. I'm just not 100% back from this injury and didn't want to risk anything trying to bust out a speedy mile. I did go pick up my shirt, though. Hopefully they'll do it there next year.

McBen: The blurring makes you look fast!

It's still hot and humid here. It's now that time where I continue sweating even after a cold shower. Got to enjoy sweating through my work shirt after a shower the other day.  Just how you like starting the work day.

6 miles this morning with 14 x 100 hill repeats.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

pepperjack

pie man

I also opted out of my Peachtree 10k entry.  Just can't make the trip.

5th place woman at Boston didn't run an OTQ this year.  Extreme circumstances, of course.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - "whatever the heck I want to do" can be a great thing to do! Enjoy it. 
                                I've been curious about Chirps, but haven't found any locally. I may have to break down and order off Amazon.

Matt - Perhaps Google thought your knees were of a "graphic" nature.

Ace - Bummer on missing out on the race, but probably for the best. Come to think of it there's an abandoned civilian airfield in OKC that's in a decent area and right on our river trail system. Maybe that would be a good place for such a race, and perhaps I should venture into race directing...

Beautiful weather for a run this morning. ~65*, and I even got rained on for a few minutes.
                                I've decided to be crazy and dip into the world of racing flats. I found some pretty decently discounted Altra Vanish-Rs and pulled the trigger. Apparently bright pink size 12.5's aren't flying off the shelves. DDs 1 & 2 enthusiastically approved of the coloring. I knew they were going to be light, but wow. The pair is about the weight of a single one of my everyday Escalantes. I figure I'll at least try them for just the speedy portions of a track workout next week and maybe try them out for real in an Independence Day 5k depending on how they feel.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4