2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

fb-guy

The women’s 5,000 was a strategic race like most championships,  I wouldn’t say Houlihan sandbagged but everyone else refused to push the pace and she was happy to sit back after doing the 1500 (this worked out for Schneider as well).  It’s a thing that happens and people wonder why, see every single Mo Farrah Olympics and world championship.

Is that because a lot of people are racing for 2nd or 3rd place, and don't want to run the risk of blowing up and finishing in the middle of the pack? In some (most?) of the Farrah races, it seems like everyone was resigned to his winning and they were racing each other. Not him.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Arvind Balaraman

Anyone ran BAA 10K last weekend?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Heat: it's a cliche, but the air temp is not as significant as the humidity.  I'll take a dry 75 over a humid 65 any day.

I'm the opposite. It's supposed to hit 98 today with about 10% humidity. I'd take 85 and 60% humidity (Bay Area) right now. Either way I'm going to be drenched after the run. Either way, the weather sucks. With this said, Chicago has been about 60-85% humidity for the past few years during the race. Joy.

omr Great job again on that 10 miler. Seems like you're healing up fast. I hope the progress continues.

ace double bob, single bob, dog, kid running, parents....that's A LOT of trail. I thought two people walking their dogs took up a lot of space. You practically own the trail at that point.

keen Shoe pics?

Rovatti: There is a Nevada Day parade that's probably as long as the parade you saw. It's 300 floats and takes about 8 hours to finish. It's a big day.

Max I think your post about "Jim ran the race everyone wanted to see" was 100% accurate. I think if he ran the same time but got second people would be upset. I was hoping he would bring out his Scott Jurek outift again. I may have driven up to Squaw Saturday morning or Friday evening to get some photos with the elites and some autographs. Knowing what Courtney has done and seeing her finish time makes me realize what kind of ability it takes to win that race.

rune Sounds like you had a workout similar to mine. It's definitely an eye opener and I'm sure the beer and the wind were part of the reason it was hard. As I was told, don't hold on to it. It's one workout. Even I bounced back and have had great workouts (even though I threw up) after that first hard one I couldn't finish. If you have the JD book can you look up what the bold workouts in the 2Q plan mean? I thought you previously said they could be skipped if necessary however I'm just double checking.

My week:

Well I made it through about 48 hours of no mom in the house. My brother in law, now living with us, showed up around 2:00am Friday morning. Mom took off Friday afternoon and had a fun girls weekend. NeRP decided this would be a good weekend to start sleeping through the night (I don't wake up when he cries at night) and when my wife planned this trip I jokingly said "If he doesn't sleep through the night before then he will after" because I don't wake up. I think he has his second tooth coming in so I was afraid DW wouldn't get to enjoy the sleep but he seems content with sleeping all night.

Since the weather has started heating up (93 yesterday 98 today), and partly because of Saturday night (2 too many beers), and partly because I felt bad leaving my BIL alone with NeRP for 2+ hours even though it would have been fine, I didn't get my run in Sunday. Looking forward I'm upset because I have the same workout in a few weeks when I want to increase M pace (7:24 to 7:17). If I subtract this from the weekly total I need 47 miles with approximately 14 on Wednesday, so 33 over 5 days. I think part of missing Sunday's run was also being Mr. mom for the day and setting unrealistic expectations (costco, lunch, grocery store, dinner prep, pick up wife) of how much I'd get done during the week. I DID get my BIL to clean the house, and fold my laundry when he asked for a list of things to do Friday (it was 90% a joke) so we could leave the house Saturday. I know it's just one workout and won't make/break a training plan (that's 2 now), but I'm still a little upset (I'll get over it). I just wish I knew how I'd do at marathon pace for 8 miles with/without fuel. I still need to buy those Gatorade gels. Technically the Sunday - Monday was 62.xx. I was just short of 63 for the week. Thursday was HARD. I woke up every 45-60 minutes and doing a double day to get Saturday off made me so tired around 3:00 pm. This week should be interesting (planning runs) and probably requires more doubles which should help beat the mid to upper 90s in the MW forecast. I know I was told not to avoid the heat but that's just "ultra trail runner earning a belt buckle" (stupid) temperatures.

EDIT: I've missed my 63 MPW goal by skipping Sunday's run (weird how JD starts the week Sunday) but I need some advice. Should I run doubles all week to try and get to 63 for the week? Should I subtract 16 from the weekly goal and aim for that? THIS Sunday's workout has some T (threshold) runs mixed with easy runnand and should be around 16. I don't know if I should do 10-15 on Saturday before the workout mostly because I wouldn't do that if I DID get my miles in on Sunday.

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Jun 18, 2018 thru Sunday, Jun 24, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
        Mon 4.3 8:55 0:38 That time we won't be going too far. strava
        Mon 6.5 8:23 0:54 That time I’ll add to the tools at my disposal. strava
        Tue 8.0 8:18 1:06 That time it puts the lotion on it's skin. strava
        Wed 13.5 8:27 1:54 That time I left it all out there. strava
        Thu 5.0 8:25 0:42 That time we should switch things up. strava
        Thu 5.8 8:45 0:50 That time I REALLY don't want to run far on Saturday strava
        Fri 4.3 8:45 0:37 That time I’m no mathematician strava
          47.4 8:31 6:43    

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Strict WTF adherent

All weather sucks

My week:

Mon - Weights and 2.7 easy

Tues - 8 w/ 8x400

Wed - 7 easy

Thurs - 7.1 easy

Fri - 12 easy and weights

Sat - 5.6 easy

Sun - 7.7 w/ 2.5 miles moderate

Total - 50.1

dex8425

Shelby's kick in the 5000 was insane. Seemed like only Schweizer was willing to push the pace earlier.  It was windy so no one wanted to lead and I'd guess everyone thought their kick could nab 2nd or 3rd if they sat in.

Gwen didn't look like an olympic contender in the 10k.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Geez... Two pages behind just because I didn't check over the weekend!

Brew - I haven't done a pistol comp in a long time. Right now I'm only planning 5k's, and maybe a 10k in December. Maybe a HM depending on how those go, but I plan on using whatever I'll race my goal marathon in for my Oct. tune-up half.
              Congrats on the solo dad experience. DD3 isn't quite sleeping through the night yet, but we're making solid progress on keeping her in the crib in her own room.
              Solid week, too!

Ace - That's an incredible year of PRs! I think I'll take the shoes out for a test by Wednesday and will see if I can't get a picture on Strava.

FB - Nice week. Heat really affects my HR at effort as well. It was only a couple weeks ago that I think I really go used to 75+ with dew points at 70+.

DWave - Good job on shedding excess fitness this past week, and having the Garmin feedback to "prove" it!

Rovatti - Sucky diagnosis - hopefully you're able to get back out there before too long. Having a parade, any parade, outside my front door for any amount of time doesn't sound like fun at all. I can't even imagine it going on for more than 8 hours, though.

Western States - Missed it, but saw that Wamsley finally got it.

Pretty good week for me, though I missed out on running Monday. We've had a ton of rain/thunderstorms since Friday, most of it coming overnight and early in the morning so I've hit the treadmill more than I wanted. Mowing the lawn is going to suck!
              DW may head to my parents' Thursday to visit (I'll probably follow after work on Friday) so I may be able to make a group run at an LRS that day. I can't even remember the last time I ran with anyone outside of a race.
              DW is trying to make me fat before starting my training plan. Coffee cake was made yesterday and she's threatening to have fudgy brownies done by the time I get home from work.
              Oh, and somehow I still don't know if the week-long work trip that coincides with the first week of my training plan is going to happen or not.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
              Tue 11.3 7:33 1T+2T+1T. Solve for T, and don't forget to show your work. 162 (83%) strava
              Wed 8.2 8:04 Of course the torrential downpour stops once I commit to the dreadmill 143 (73%) strava
              Wed 3.2 7:37 Runch 5k with a little leader board chasing. I need a faster treadmill... 144 (73%) strava
              Thu 2.6 7:24 Runch appetizer 138 (70%) strava
              Thu 3.7 8:12 Main course runch 136 (69%) strava
              Fri 7.5 8:06 1 rabbit, 1 heron, 1 little rain shower, & barely missing the big(ger) thunderstorm. 141 (72%) strava
              Sat 15.5 7:34 A little rain, 4.4 @M-ish effort, and the whole lake to myself 150 (77%) strava
                52.0 7:46      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Arvind Balaraman

Nice week. Howz the Chicago training coming along

Weekly Summary

Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                Mon 4.3 8:55 0:38 That time we won't be going too far. strava
                Mon 6.5 8:23 0:54 That time I’ll add to the tools at my disposal. strava
                Tue 8.0 8:18 1:06 That time it puts the lotion on it's skin. strava
                Wed 13.5 8:27 1:54 That time I left it all out there. strava
                Thu 5.0 8:25 0:42 That time we should switch things up. strava
                Thu 5.8 8:45 0:50 That time I REALLY don't want to run far on Saturday strava
                Fri 4.3 8:45 0:37 That time I’m no mathematician strava
                Arvind Balaraman

awesome week

Weekly Summary

Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                  Tue 11.3 7:33 1T+2T+1T. Solve for T, and don't forget to show your work. 162 (83%) strava
                  Wed 8.2 8:04 Of course the torrential downpour stops once I commit to the dreadmill 143 (73%) strava
                  Wed 3.2 7:37 Runch 5k with a little leader board chasing. I need a faster treadmill... 144 (73%) strava
                  Thu 2.6 7:24 Runch appetizer 138 (70%) strava
                  Thu 3.7 8:12 Main course runch 136 (69%) strava
                  Fri 7.5 8:06 1 rabbit, 1 heron, 1 little rain shower, & barely missing the big(ger) thunderstorm. 141 (72%) strava
                  Sat 15.5 7:34 A little rain, 4.4 @M-ish effort, and the whole lake to myself 150 (77%) strava
                  Running Problem

Problem Child

Nice week. Howz the Chicago training coming along

I think it's going well. I'd like to have run the M paced runs just to see where it's at but overall I'd say I'm happy with how it's going. Doing 62 miles felt easier at the end of the week than I was expecting at this point. I have random back pains sometimes during runs but other than that I'd say the effort is there. Hopefully effort = goal race time or faster.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Katia77

Hey all..thought I'd pop in. I'm here..was running and doing well (ran a 21:34 5K and a just over 40 min 10K) and then I went on vacation and did who knows what to my calves.  I tried running last week and made it half a mile before they both cramped, so I stopped. I was thinking about Big Cottonwood full in September but I may just register for a half now that I've taken 2 weeks off and had lower mileage before that.

Congrats to DW on the Moose Mug! Much deserved and totally gives me hope that one of these days I can get my crap together in my early 40s bc it doesn't look like it'll happen before that, lo!

I'll do shoutouts soon. Hi to all and good to see you running again, Ilana! 

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

That race really played right into Houlihan's hands.  Hmmm...the person with the fastest kick is also coming off of a 1500 the day before.  So let's keep the pace conservative so that she can kick at the end.

(to be fair, I don't think anyone else had a PR within 20 seconds of Houlihan, so she was the class of the field anyway)

That was a freakish kick.

Rovatti - real sorry about the continuing injury issues.  I am indeed coming up for 5th Avenue Mile - since my heat is at 10:05, I'll take a train up early that morning.

Rune - isn't cheap beer just carbs and hydration?  Can't be bad for you.

Brewing - you didn't ask my advice, but if you want it....I wouldn't worry about missing a mileage target one week. Just move on, stay with the program, and don't try to make it up.  I've seen many more training cycles wrecked from compensating for a missed workout or target than the missed target/workout itself.

Great to see K77 stop by!

Hi to all the rest of y'all - some nice weeks there.  I'll get my act together and do full shoutouts at some point.  Today was yoga and 8 "miles" pool-running.  I also received my moose mug in the mail so yay.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

runethechamp

Ace - My traveling is on and off, and it's just been a lot lately. Usually I travel for work but Norway and Mexico were both personal trips. I've also become a huge fan of run-sploring, and I find that all the easy runs make it easy to do. I sometimes move the workout days around a bit (like I did the week before last) to minimize the amount of hard workouts during a trip. Right now I'm also in the process of run-sploring my hometown and I use the Strava heatmap to try to run as many streets as possible during the marathon training.

Brew - Thanks for the reassurance regarding the last workout. My legs are toast today so it's clear I worked pretty hard yesterday. The Jack Daniels book says the following about the Bold workouts: "I have bolded some quality sessions, which means if you feel overly tired or overwhelmed, the bolded session may be eliminated and replaced by an E day of training. I'd also listen touo DW regarding missed workouts/short weeks."

DW - Regarding cheap beer, it might depend a little bit on how many you drink . It's hard to say no when they are being delivered to the chairs by the pool... Congrats with the mug! And that Houlihan kick was absolutely nuts. Didn't look like she was very tired at all at that point.

Katia - That calf issue sounds odd. Hope you get it figured out. And a just over 40 minutes 10k? Fast!

Did a short, easy run tonight, very slow since I brought the dog (10:36 pace), and my legs are sore and tired after yesterday's workout. But with this run I surpassed last month's mileage, which was my longest month ever. And I still have 40 miles to go before the end of the month... Also considering doing a HM race first weekend of August to see where I'm at fitness wise.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Running Problem

Problem Child

dark I figured you'd comment so I threw it out there for anyone with more experience running and training than me to give some feedback. Similar to asking about running doubles in the past and learning "junk miles" don't exist, miles are miles. I'll take the advice and just move on focused on finishing the plan. I just get my head filled with "If I run more miles I'll run faster" but then I tell myself I need the speed for the goal. I hope you're enjoying the rest after Grandma's

rune THANKS! After reading what you wrote it sounded familiar. I haven't felt overly tired so far into training for the workouts.

katia 40 minute 10k!?!?!? SMOKIN!

Doubles today. Low of 58/59. High of 93/94. So 30+ degree temperature changes are here. Its about to get to "no more beer" time if I keep doing doubles. It just makes it harder to wake up at 4 and after doing a few, and since NeRP is sleeping longer, I kind of want to get my 5-6.5 (maybe 7) miles in early so I can get a day off AND I don't have to do ALL my running in the 90s...even though I know it will help for October.

EDIT: I just can't catch a break. 20 mph winds after work tomorrow for more threshold/Tempo running. Also, 90 degrees. Marathon training sucks isn't fair.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Katia - Hello again! Bummer about the calfs, hope you get that cleared soon.

Rune - Great job on the (pending) massive new mileage PR. Do you have a short list of possible races for August?

Brew - That's a tough temperature range. It would be very tempting to try getting in all my mileage in early with those lows. We are getting similar highs, but barring rain to lower the temps we typically start in the mid-70s. Yuck.
                              Oh, and heat and wind help build strength! Or some runner BS like that...

It's strangely fun/scary to watch Rune and Brew go through their training since I'm going to be starting a similar plan in a couple weeks. Kind of like looking into the future to see what happens, but being powerless to do anything about it. Is there a masculine form of Cassandra?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

CK - Maybe you can take comfort in that with your mileage, your workouts are even harder than Brew's and mine . My August race will most probably be the Summer Breeze Half Marathon, the summer sibling of the Bay Breeze Half that I did in February. Pancake flat, out and back by the water (bay). Bot that one and my September race should be good test races as my goal marathon is also very flat.

Brew - I feel lucky living where I do when I see your temperatures. Even though I've had windy conditions on my last weekend runs I think I can live with that. I also try to schedule my program so I have one day off per week. Maxing out at 55 mpw it never gets too challenging to make that happen.

My legs still feel kind of beat up. Happy I only have a short easy day today before tomorrows I-R workout.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it