2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

OMR

fb:  Yeah, that's a nice pic.  Here are a couple of videos of the course, from the past two years.  The first one is fairly short...the second one shows some of the climbing, starting around 3:50.  Gotta love the sign at 4:58!  Pretty doubtful my legs will be ready for something like this in just a few months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=071MFJ3Nsuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Ys89l8-Z0

Brew:  I agree with Dwave.  Move on and don't try to make it up.  Oh, and your weather sucks.

Katia:  Hi!  Sorry about the calf issues.  Nice 10K!

rune:  Congrats on a monthly mileage PR with several days to spare!

Running Problem

Problem Child

If I wait a few hours (7:00pm) I get 85F and 17 mph winds...so there is that. It's extremely tempting to not build character and do the workout in the morning when it's dark and cold but I'm not too experience with running fast in the dark. I also think the neighbors in that area might not appreciate my headlamp going back and for at that hour waking up every dog in sight.

keen So you're saying you're doomed for the first threshold workout. Excellent.

rune yeah and today I'm thinking "well it's a dry heat" is a load a horse poop. 90F is still hot and makes me feel sunburned. 80F and humid makes me feel sweaty. Doesn't really matter when I'm running....I'm going to be sweaty either way.

Double dipped today. Feel good too. I'm slightly impressed because I didn't exactly expect this but maybe skipping 16 miles has something to do with it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It's strangely fun/scary to watch Rune and Brew go through their training since I'm going to be starting a similar plan in a couple weeks. Kind of like looking into the future to see what happens, but being powerless to do anything about it. Is there a masculine form of Cassandra?

I believe the term you're looking for is DOOMED.  (edit: and now I see that Brewing beat me to this....)

9 miles very easy (9:14) and both upper/lower body weights and core.  Yes, there's no need for me to run 9 miles right now, but it was a gorgeous morning, I had a tailwind for most of the run, and I was just having fun and nothing hurts, so what the heck.  Did drills after the run, but no strides.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

oregonrw

Miss a few days and you miss a lot around here...

I didn't watch much of the track championships -- youngest had a lacrosse tournament all weekend, so we were at that -- but I did see Shelby Houlihan's kick - wowza.  But she was an 800 meter runner so I think she's definitely got more of that kind of speed in her legs than most 5k runners.  I was happy to see Lopez Lomong win the 10k.  He's a local hero here -- goes into the schools and talks to the kids about his escape from Sudan and what life is like there.  The local schools have held fun runs to raise money for his foundation that supports kids in Sudan.

Brewing: Your weather sounds awful.

Dwave: Glad you had a good first run back!

Hello everyone else!  7 miles yesterday with strides, 4 miles very easy today (it was going to be an off day but a friend wanted to run, so I did.  It was a nice morning).

runethechamp

I believe the term you're looking for is DOOMED.  (edit: and now I see that Brewing beat me to this....)

I cheated and did my first threshold workout on a treadmill that seemed like it was very generous with the speed so there's that. I did feel properly doomed on the second one though. Almost makes me happy I have another week before the next one and I will do my best to do that one on something flat and not very wind exposed to get a good gauge of where I'm at.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

fb-guy

fb:  Yeah, that's a nice pic.  Here are a couple of videos of the course, from the past two years.  The first one is fairly short...the second one shows some of the climbing, starting around 3:50.  Gotta love the sign at 4:58!  Pretty doubtful my legs will be ready for something like this in just a few months.

If your legs aren't going to be ready for a death-defying 100k (and western states lottery qualifier), what about a trail marathon in Italy? There is fun eco-marathon in Chianti Oct 21. You could stay here -- we're about a hour drive. It goes through hills, vineyards and villages. Looks pretty good!

https://www.ecomaratonadelchianti.it

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Strict WTF adherent

The first one is fairly short...the second one shows some of the climbing, starting around 3:50. 

I'm not sure I'd even recognize that as a trail.

Some improvement at XC last night. Ran 23:39 for 5th AG. Not where I want to/should be, but an improvement from 25:00 last time

OMR

Regarding Houlihan:  Finally had a chance to watch her yesterday.  Her cadence at the end must have been 240+...at first I thought they sped up the video.

fb:  Hmm...

McBen:  I agree.  Congrats on sub-24, that is definitely a step in the faster direction.

Brew:  The thought of you running back and forth waking up the neighbors because of their barking dogs has a certain charm to it.

Dwave:  Don't remember if you've said this, but what's next for you in terms of goals and/or goal races?

7.5 @ 8:46 for me this morning.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rune - That makes me feel so much better, thank you!

Brew - I'd certainly take a dry heat any day! Sweat just doesn't evaporate much here. I'd hate to bomb the first LT workout since I (typically) enjoy those. Eh, I'll be in good company, though.

DWave - Missed it by *that* much! I wish I could see timestamps for posts down to the second. Nice drive-by in sub-90.

McB - Movin' on up!

I tried out my new racing flats this morning. I almost went for a short, easy run instead since my right calf has felt a little tight lately, but it wasn't bugging me too much so I went with it. WU/CD I did in my everyday Escalantes, and just used the flats for the speed work. Impressions:
                    WOW, those things practically disappear compared to my everyday shoes. They were comfy, but certainly not cushy, and I could really feel the track surface better than before. Very breathable, too. Hitting a thumb-sized rock would likely really suck in these. I'll definitely be wearing those for a 5k next week.
                    Interestingly, my calf actually felt better while wearing the flats than it did before I put them on. Maybe the lesser weight helped?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - I'd certainly take a dry heat any day! Sweat just doesn't evaporate much here. I'd hate to bomb the first LT workout since I (typically) enjoy those. Eh, I'll be in good company, though.

Feel free to do mine tonight. It's just getting hotter and hotter for each one of these and the wind just happens to get stronger and stronger. Hopefully I don't throw up at the end. I'm going to be so sick of the loop I'm running by October I'll probably rather run on a treadmill and watch tv. Oh and I noticed today the JD plan has a LOT of threshold running in the form of 3T, 3 min, 2 T, 2 min, and it's the 3T that brings the suck. I AM curious to see how it goes when I get to the first M paced run because it's going to be something like a 7:15 pace.

How often does everyone step on the scale? How much would the impact of weight change if I have my 5K/10K paces from 5lbs ago and how should that impact training and race performance?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

AceHarris

McBen: Maybe running a 5k a little further out from traversing the largest canyon in the US makes a difference. Nice work!

Headed to CO on Friday! Denver then Creede. I always look forward to this trip. 10 days in the mountains with fishing, hiking, and this year mountain bikes! I did a poor job of maintaining training while at 9800 feet last year, hopefully I'll do better this time.

I reached out to a Denver Trail Runners group for some advice on a long run on Saturday in or around Denver. I may actually meet up with a stranger there to run 14 miles. Running community is pretty awesome or scary.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

How often does everyone step on the scale? How much would the impact of weight change if I have my 5K/10K paces from 5lbs ago and how should that impact training and race performance?

For your second question: I know that a big bowel movement can be at least 2 pounds for me, and a big glass of water can be another pound. And I'm smaller than you.  So I would view 5 pounds for you as noise, and not worry about it.

I do weigh myself every day, just to get a sense for my rhythms, if that makes sense.  Weight gain for me is often an early sign that I'm overtraining (I start retaining water).  I also weigh myself both before and after a sauna or a very long and humid run, to get a feel for how much I need to replenish.

FB - what is an Eco-marathon?  (I know, I should check the website).  Do they not let you toss your used gels?

Oregon - I am a big (and growing) Lopez Lomong fan.  He's just given back so much.

Rune - you are doomed.  But we already discussed that..

CK - flats are fun to wear at speed, especially if you're used to trainers.  I'd reserve judgment on how good your calves feel until tomorrow or the day after, though....

Ace - meeting up with a stranger for 14 in the mountains....Sounds like a movie set up....

McBen  - you're trending the right way!

OMR - it's miles and 5Ks for me the next few months.  My target races for the early fall are the US Masters Road Mile Championships in mid-August in Michigan, and the 5th Avenue Mile in NYC in September.  I was considering doing the Liberty Mile in Pittsburgh again, but I'm not sure I'll be fit enough to justify the time off from work and the drive.  Goals for both races are to place well.  Would be nice to set a mile PR at the 5th Avenue Mile.  The Flint Michigan course is apparently not the fastest course.  And I'm going to need a fast course to PR my mile, especially since I've been marathon-training from January-June of this year.

I actually just booked the flights for the mile in Michigan.  Race is at 5:30 pm in Flint, MI  I fly into Detroit that morning, landing at 10 or 11 am (can't remember)  Then drive 70 minutes to Flint, kill time.  Race at 5:30 pm, do a bit of socializing, drive back to Detroit.  Flight leaves Detroit at 10:00 pm, landing in DC a bit after 11 pm.

(I got travel insurance for this one, since weather delays on either side could make things challenging)

6 very easy to yoga (9:11), yoga, and then 4 very easy to the grocery store (9:21) plus drills.  No strides yet - I'll add those in this weekend.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

ace-nice! i'll be there 7/4-7/10. mostly boulder,then visiting dad in denver. i recommend runners roost group runs! each store is different, but they're nice people.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Strict WTF adherent

I do weigh myself every day, just to get a sense for my rhythms, if that makes sense.  Weight gain for me is often an early sign that I'm overtraining (I start retaining water). 

Same, except that weight gain is a sign of gluttony for me. Even when I'm being "good," my weight can fluctuate nearly 10 lbs over a week. And without constant updates, it can be hard to spot trends.

Running Problem

Problem Child

ace have fun. rlk does know a thing or two about running/skiing there.

mcben/dw Got it. I thought I was being obsessive. Sometimes it's gluttony but I never thought about water retention/replacement.

Bad workout last night. I need to figure out what/when to eat before workouts. 20 minutes prior isn't working, OR it was shredded pork nachos and beans. I think it was insufficient time to digest and also making the bad decision to "finish the loop then ----" before the hard miles. I ended up canceling the workout and getting a ride home. Sad day so I'm just going to get the weekly miles and move on. Focus on Sunday's workout instead of yesterdays.

VDOT 53.37