2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Strict WTF adherent

I can tell you this about Chicago: Everything downtown is closed and all I wanted was some effing popcorn, okay?

Agreed with everything DW said about RNR DC.

Separately, I think I might be slow now.

That is all...

pepperjack

pie man

If you don't go to the shiney metal thing (and post selfies) I don't think they let you leave.

Thye have smithsonians in Chicago now?

11:11 3,000 (recent)

mattw4jc

DW - +1 to Brewing's cooler idea. Hotel should have an ice machine about to keep it cold enough. Nice track workout too.

Brewing - I've only driven around Chicago on my way to Wisconsin last June. I couldn't seem to get far enough west to avoid rush hour traffic, so ended up just stopping for dinner to let it clear up some.

4am alarm this morning to get 12 miles in. Plan actually calls for 15, but that would mean more like a 3:30 alarm and I've got to draw the line somewhere. And even with starting at 4:30ish I was pushing the last 2 miles to beat my deadline of getting home to get ready for work.

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Nice workouts, DW and Matt!  I'm especially envious of those of you who can wake up that early for a run.  That's a struggle I usually lose.  90% of my runs are in the evening, although when I transitioned to full-time remote work recently, that opened up lunch time runs, which are nice during the winter when it's warmed up some.

Re Chicago, I love the museums, being a nerd at heart.  The Museum of Science and Industry and the Field Museum of Natural History are awesome, and I'd see them again.  Look into the Chicago City Pass for package discounts.  The City Pass includes enough things to fill a week easily enough.

Re the RNR DC, it's a far better half than a full.  The half course (which is shared with the full course for the first 13 miles) is mostly through decent parts of town and has solid crowd support.  The rest of the full course is boring and lonely.  The only reason I'm doing it for a third time is because my son wanted one of those RNR finisher jackets they hand out at the end of the full.  That, and we got in on the super-early bird pricing of ~$50, which is cheap for a full marathon these days.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sounds good. The City Pass might be worth looking into. It's probably a super convenient, and popular, list of tourist attractions.

pj It was more of a reference to the fact I'd tour a museum if it has cool stuff but I'm not the type to explore an art museum.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - +1 to Brewing's cooler idea. Hotel should have an ice machine about to keep it cold enough. Nice track workout too.

Thought about it, but doesn't work anywhere near as well as a fridge.  Still possibly worth a try, I guess.

Morning runs: I despise running in the afternoon/evening.  It's hard to pry myself away from work, I have digestive issues, and I can't sleep after.  So I'll happily get up early to fit it in.

8 very easy to yoga (9:06 pace), yoga, and then 6 very easy (9:05) plus drills+strides.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

Sounds good. The City Pass might be worth looking into. It's probably a super convenient, and popular, list of tourist attractions.

pj It was more of a reference to the fact I'd tour a museum if it has cool stuff but I'm not the type to explore an art museum.

Ah.  I think I see. Still, it's going to bother my DC-centric brain to not at least mention a lot of the Smithsonians are art museums.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ah.  I think I see. Still, it's going to bother my DC-centric brain to not at least mention a lot of the Smithsonians are art museums.

There is more than one? great I'm going to get lost if I ever go to DC. You and dw better draw me a map.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

There is more than one? great I'm going to get lost if I ever go to DC. You and dw better draw me a map.

https://www.si.edu/content/ovs/mallmap.pdf

(Air and Space is my favorite.  Though the National Zoo gets praise for having bathrooms open this weekend.)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

quick drive by, but I just got some new Kinvara's for $57  HERE

WooHoo!

Sorry, I just remember we had talked about these previously. I needed a new pair of shoes for intervals and tempo runs!

It was on runnersworld.com.  They also had this, I'm Number 12, Sorry.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave brew- I think I comprehended a cool 30% of what brew actually wrote, but ... let's not everybody freak out. It is now January. When is this marathon? *finger guns*

our team's 2018 season started last night. our first track workout back is always in and out 400s - 3-4miles of it, where "in" is (current) 5k pace and "out" is 20sec slower than the in. for me this is probably something like 1:36/1:56, but of course we always run stuff a little quick so it was more 1:29-1:33 for the ins. we have a few new members this time of year, and one of them is apparently has a HM PR of sub-1:15, was on the NCAA XC winning team (with Courtney Frerichs) a couple years ago, etc etc. (needless to say, she hasn't run in like a year and is very out of shape which is why I was next to her!)

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

If you don't go to the shiney metal thing (and post selfies) I don't think they let you leave.

True that!

shiny

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

ooh, I can play this game too!

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Strict WTF adherent

This was remarkably hard to find. That's McW and me in the middle.No automatic alt text available.

oregonrw

Can I join in even if I don't have a picture of myself in Chicago?  Hi, newcomer here. I'm also a former RWOL person -- I posted regularly on one of the marathon-specific threads, but we didn't set up a new thread anywhere so I'm kind of lost. We are posting a bit on strava, but conversations are limited. I posted on the introduction thread as well, but in a nutshell - I live in Oregon, am 49/married/w kids and a dog, a lawyer, and hoping to run a marathon PR this year after I turn 50 (which is soon). I've been aiming for around 3:20 for a few years but haven't gotten below 3:28, though I think I could based on my half marathon time.  Maybe this is the year.

I hope to participate regularly, am happy to answer questions about running in Oregon if anyone is traveling this way (it's great! also wet!), and look forward to getting to "know" you all!

I ran 8ish this morning, early (I usually run pretty early in the morning, before work), nothing special.

Smithsonians: We used to live in Maryland, so spend a lot of time there. Air & Space and Natural History were our favorites.