2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

That is one SWEET mug!  Congrats!!!

Speedy folks around here have always needed a goal to shoot for that was harder than BQ, but easier than OTQ, and the moose mug fits the bill.   I've always thought that a marathon at AG%=80 should get a mug too (so that OLD people like Jim could be in the game)

My week:

M) 7 & ElliptiGo 45'

Tu) 4.5 w/ 6 x hill sprints & ElliptiGo 45'

W) 11 w/ 6 x 800m (~6:07 pace) w/ 2' rec

Th) 4.5 & ElliptiGo 45'

F) 4.5 w/ 6 x hill sprints & ElliptiGo 45'

Sa) 9 w/ 15' steady (6:56), 5' @5K (6:10), then 4x200m (41, 41, 38, 38) & ElliptiGo 45'

Su) ElliptiGo 90' & 4.5 very slow (trails + 90 degrees)

Total: 45 + '35' on the Go

June: 209 + '81' on the Go (~12 hours)

YTD: 1501

runethechamp

OMR - Solid week! I'm impressed by how you've worked your way back, very methodically.

DW - Nice mug! And nice week of running as well. I just read your race report and that was a very well executed race. Just wondering, what is your standard race morning breakfast? I've read things lately that jive a lot with your race preparation (no big meals the day before for instance) and I might try to experiment a bit in my halfs this fall.

Dad - Nice week for you too. Regarding the treadmill, I kept it flat, just to give myself a little bit of a break at the start of the program, and I think my HR reflected that as well on the one workout I did. I think I made up for it on the two workouts before and after that though when I did them in really windy conditions .

Brew - Hope you made it through your weekend nicely. You had a lot on your plate!

I stuck to my program again and got in the miles and the workouts done. The intervals and reps on Wednesday were fast for what I expected, and my legs felt pretty beat up afterwards. My 15-mile easy pace long run yesterday was just that, and I ended up with a very low average HR for the distance (even though it's skewed down a little bit by a couple of bathroom breaks). I also set a new monthly mileage record, for the third month in a row. In April I ran 160.3 miles with a slow start to recover after my race plus a couple of missed easy days due to a trip to Disneyland, in May I ran 174.1 with an off week due to travel and a cold, and in June I ran 216.8 miles with no off weeks. I feel like I've been pretty consistent as with the exceptions noted above I've been able to follow my program as I laid it out since my March marathon. I'm 95% sure I will be running the Summer Breeze Half on August 4 to see where I'm at in my training, and I'm hoping all the tempo workouts I have on my schedule before then (5, plus two more at m-pace) will give a good indication before the race comes around.

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Jun 25, 2018 thru Sunday, Jul 01, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
        Mon 4.7 10:36 0:50 Evening Run 125 (65%) 272 strava
        Tue 4.8 8:39 0:41 Afternoon Run 133 (69%) 83 strava
        Wed 12.6 8:55 1:52 Intervals and Reps 141 (73%) 84 strava
        Thu 4.5 9:08 0:41 Lunch Run 128 (67%) 87 strava
        Fri 4.1 10:51 0:44 Taking recovery seriously 113 (59%) 162 strava
        Sat 15.0 8:40 2:10 Afternoon Run 131 (68%) 422 strava
          45.7 9:11 7:00     1110  

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

fb-guy

OMR -- back to back 50+. That's great recovery -- getting ready for something in the fall, for sure.

DW -- sweet Mug.

Rovatti, Jim, Dad OMR -- we should be shooting for 2:59:59 at 60. :-)

Rune -- that's a really good, low HR % for an easy, sub 9 MLR. That seems to be a good sign to me.

Dad -- nice week, nice YTD miles. I wonder where the Eliptigo fits in as a "comparable" mile. I used by cycle a lot, and never really know how to compare that with running miles.

Hey all -- hope you had a good week.

It's getting hot here and it's going to stay hot for at least the next two months. Historic average is about 90F now and 92F in a couple of weeks, so I'm going to have to adjust. After running at the ocean for 10 years, where it was never hot, I'm going to have to adapt.

I'm still base building and seeing if I can start feeling stronger running in the 50s mpw, and hopefully growing into the 60s. Achilles started to get balky, and some tight quads and glutes, so I think I'm going to have to start taking physio stuff more seriously if I'm going to safely add some miles. Basically, I do the same run over and over, where the only thing that changes is the effort (and HR) required to do it. All very interesting.

6@8:38

8@8:35

8@8:23

8@8:26

8@8:29

54.5@ 8:31 (just like last week)

192.2 in June and 1164 YTD. I only ran 1600 in 2016 and 2017.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

rune ~ Yep. Wind, heat/humidity, etc. etc. ... we get stressed out by seconds here and there, but it all balances out.

fb ~ I count 9 minutes on the ElliptiGo as a 'mile' (I actually go much farther; I can do a 5 min mile rather easily if I can get going), but only 'count' to have a sense of stress on my body ... for example, last week felt much closer to an 80mpw (equivalent volume) than a 45 mpw (actual running miles); not an exact match, but close enough.

80% AG in some shorter distances is realistic; that 2:59:59 ship has sailed.

DkW ~

Image result for thumbs up emoji

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - Delurking to say congrats on the Moose Mug, both figuratively and literally!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

OMR

Dwave:  Yeah, but my two weeks of 50+ didn't come with a fancy mug!    (It also didn't come with a bunch of pool running.)

fb:  I see where you're going with this "preparing for fall" business, haha.  No back-to-back 50s for me yet, last week was the first.  Hoping to hold it here for a few more weeks, however.

rune:  Nice week, and congrats on the monthly mileage PR!

Dad:  I think my chances at 80% AG are better at longer distances than shorter ones.  At age 55 (which I will be soon), an 80% AG 5K is 18:55, a marathon is 3:00:55.  Both are out of my reach by a long shot right now, but the 5K requires a new PR.

Nice weeks Dwave, Dad, fb.

Dad:  I think my chances at 80% AG are better at longer distances than shorter ones. 

Interesting.  If you go by McMillan equivalencies, it's easier to get high AG% at shorter distances.  I wonder why that is?..

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - How'd the brewing go? We haven't heard much about your (other) hobby lately.

DWave - Congrats again on the mug! And wow, that was a pretty fast turnaround.

Dad - Good week.

Rune - I'll reiterate my congratulations on the monthly PR here as well.

FB - Nice week as well.

80% AG - That's really freaking fast!

Thursday was pretty nice. I made the LRS group run, got some pho, and had what was possibly my first uninterrupted night of sleep since before DD3 was born.
                    Had a good time visiting family this weekend (my SIL's parents and niece/nephew are visiting from Canada), and at my hometown race. They slightly moved the turnaround point (bringing the course closer to 5k) from previous years but the course is still pretty brutal, thanks to the big hill that is mile 3. Splits are all over the place given the course profile, but I think I did a decent job at keeping an even effort. I even tried the DWave "no pace info" thing, just going off effort and Stryd. I used that as a test for the Wednesday race, as I'm heavily considering doing it without any pace/time info as well.

Pretty darn thrilled with my time given that hill and that I didn't go all-out, so I'm looking forward to my 5k on Wednesday. I've PR'd at this race the past 2 years, here's hoping for #3!

Weekly Summary
                    Monday, Jun 25, 2018 thru Sunday, Jul 01, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                    Mon 11.2 7:38 Watching another thunderstorm roll by 131 (67%) strava
                    Tue 10.6 8:21 1 rabbit & 2 turkeys 145 (74%) strava
                    Wed 2.2 7:57 Warming up and seeing my track coach get chased off 140 (71%) strava
                    Wed 3.3 6:47 6x 200m R + 4x 400M R & testing the new pink Go Fast shoes 163 (83%) strava
                    Wed 5.8 8:00 The long cool-down 155 (79%) strava
                    Thu 5.0 8:15 All your vitamin D are belong to me. 158 (81%) strava
                    Thu 3.5 8:32 Pack Pint(less) Run 156 (80%) strava
                    Fri 10.1 8:19 3 rabbits, lots of short loops, and no water at the fountain 143 (73%) strava
                    Sat 0.3 7:56 The tiniest warm-up 134 (68%) strava
                    Sat 3.1 6:16 Leedey Bison Stampede 5k 171 (87%) strava
                      55.1 7:54      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing went well. Came out "uneventful" (I didn't spray hot sugary water all over the bbq at 7 gallons per minute) which is nice. It actually seemed easier than usual and I was cleaned up about 5 hours after I started which is impressive for having a 100 minute boil (typically 60-75 minutes) PLUS I made breakfast in my new cast iron pans.

keen July 1 was Canada Day. I know this because of an  app I use to track/rate beer I drink. 10-20% grade on that "hill"   That is cruel! Great race. I couldn't touch those paces with a downhill assist (you're about 1 minute faster than my PR). Good luck not knowing paces. I'd be too afraid of going out too fast, or too slow, and psyching myself out somehow.

omr Keep doing whatever you're doing. Let the PT tell you how it should go and maybe not offer up the fact you're working towards the last remaining WSER qualifiers this year.

rune great job on the mileage PRs. I remember my first quality training cycle where I peaked around 64 and the results were great.

The weekend, while full, went well. Fixed the trailer Friday night. Made beer Saturday morning and got my run in along with a beer share for another online friend finishing their residency (eyeball doctor) where I had beers I've never heard of and don't know how to acquire other than flying to Belgium. Sunday's run was a little rough. I did it in the warmer part of the day, before eating breakfast, without any hydration or nutrition with me. About halfway through I had nipple chaff start (new to me) so I planned a trip past the house to dump my shirt to complete the last 2T work. I also was thirsty so I chugged some gatorade/water mix. It might not have helped, it might have been the temp, it might have been how I felt but the last 2T work felt hard, like...."I don't think I can finish this hard" and I let myself quit 0.12 miles before the end. I should have just finished it and ignored any pace that showed up (I was right where I wanted to be 6:53-6:56) and ran the last 200m. I consider it a success and a failure at the same time. Success for hitting paces. Failure for quitting. I don't know why I let myself quit other than convincing myself I'd have to run across the road and wouldn't be able to time it with traffic. About 2 seconds later I realized I could turn left 180 degrees and run on the sidewalk. I don't see myself letting myself do this again because I wouldn't do it in a race. Part of it was the 175+ heart rate I just couldn't get down. It peaked around 177 right before I quit and I think I saw 180 for a few seconds. Overall I think training is going well and if I'd have sucked it up for 200 meters I'd have done all my T work around a 6:53/54 average with a 6:56 goal/prescribed time. Still...I think the plan is working. I don't think it was the lower mileage (missed workouts) allowing me to hold paces. I think it's the plan making improvements in my running.

Interestingly, I ran with the LumoRun both days this weekend. It tells me some of my WORST hip rotation (19 degrees) is during my fastest running, I bounce too much when I run (about 3.5-4") and my braking is less when I'm running slower. I have no idea how to not slow myself down while keeping my hips straighter (equal stride lengths) and staying lower to the ground. It doesn't really change downhill, uphill, or flat. I think it's telling me I need to use my TRX bands and strengthen my core/legs/hips.

With camping Wednesday - Sunday I'll need to get miles in. Plan is to do the workout Wednesday morning when it's cooler outside (94F today) then pack and head out. I don't think we have water hook ups so it might be some lake showers for me but that's fine. I get to do the first hike with NeRP Thursday too. Since 63 and 70 mile weeks are here I'll have to force myself out of bed tomorrow morning for 6.5ish. Maybe Thursday, or Friday, I'll be able to get something in double digits to  get a day off. Sunday is a 17 miler and a friend might come up for a few miles of it.

Oh yeah, a friend found a chemist job at the water plant in town. I had to dust off the resume and remember some lab stuff I did 5 years ago. It's amazing how much I remove from memory when I take a new position. The fun part will be trying to remember it all because if I get an interview this would have a few advantages with one being it's 9 miles from home so DW has stated I can pick up/drop off NeRP daily.

Mileage:

June: 253.58 (Garmin) 233.5 (RA). Highest month to date. 8 hours and 46 seconds of running this month. I guess that isn't too much time to spend on a hobby.

2018: 867 (Garmin) 878.6 (RA) About 133 behind my 2018 goal of 2,018 miles.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

Interesting.  If you go by McMillan equivalencies, it's easier to get high AG% at shorter distances.  I wonder why that is?..

Weak ankles?  Assuming I can get back into shape, I'll be curious if the weights and BOSU stuff changes anything.

Correction :  So I soon will be 54, not 55.    This means 80% AGs are 18:45 for the 5K, 2:59:26 for the marathon.

Keen:  Congrats on the 5K!  How do you like the Stryd?  I was thinking about getting one, cuz you know...more nerdy data.

Brew:  I'm actually done with PT now, just continuing with the exercises he told me to do, and adding a few more.  Oh, maybe I need to get  Lumo Run, too, because...well...data...haha...

7.5 w/strides for me today.

fb-guy

Keen -- that's a very nice 5K. Congratulations. Remind me. When is your marathon PR going to fall?

Speaking a Brew and Belgians -- go Red Devils.

Brew -- really good miles. Way to go; keep that one going.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

oregonrw

Darkwave: Nice mug! Congrats again.

Rune: very nice week and mileage PR.

Keen; Wow, great 5k! Hills in the last mile of a 5k are just cruel.

FB: Ouch, sorry about the heat wave.  What country are you in?  I'm pulling for Belgium too.

Dad: At first I thought you said you did 4.5 trails on the Elliptigo and was wondering how that would work...do they make off-road Elliptigos?

OMR: Glad your recovery has gone so well -- and I think once you hit 50 all the years after that just blend together. :P

Brewing: Every PT I've ever seen has told me my weak hips/glutes are what causes problems with stride/injury/life.  I'm sure strength work would help.

I don't think I'll ever hit the 80% AG - though if I did it would most like be in the longer distances. I seem stuck somewhere around 75% for most distances however.

Last week I was around 40 miles, hoping to do the same this week.  I ran 11 on Saturday.   I think we are the exception to the heat wave that seems to be happening around the country -- we haven't fully hit summer yet.  It's in the 40s-50s in the morning when I run, and has been getting up to 72-75 only during the day.  It's pretty pleasant, and I love not having to use air conditioning yet!  6 miles this morning, plus some strides.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Nice race, CK - that hill looked awful on Strava.

Brewing, I am fascinated with the Lumo run.  I may need to get one to add to my gadgets.

Oregon - that weather sounds blissful.

Thanks to all for the congrats.  I'm just so so happy to have a Moose Mug.  Let's hope I don't break it like I did my Broad Street trophy.  And I think Rovatti  makes a really good point about it being nice to have something to chase in between BQ and OTQ.  Though I also like using age-grading for that.  It's worth noting that many races offer elite status to masters runners based on age-grading.  The Rock N' Roll races are one example.

Regarding age-grading and moose mugs - here's a breakdown of the age grade percentile for the moose mug time, in 5 year increments (I used the 2015 standard, not the 2006/2010 standard).  I've bolded the 20 year period that appears to be optimal for chasing a Moose Mug.

Male age group Age graded score for Moose Mug Female age group Age graded score for Moose Mug
                              20M 87.82% 20F 84.64%
                              25M 84.79% 25F 82.07%
                              30M 81.97% 30F 79.66%
                              35M 79.72% 35F 77.96%
                              40M 79.02% 40F 77.56%
                              45M 79.70% 45F 78.56%
                              50M 80.71% 50F 81.03%
                              55M 81.96% 55F 84.21%
                              60M 83.47% 60F 87.98%
                              65M 85.27% 65F 92.44%
                              70M 87.39% 70F 97.76%
                              75M 91.00% 75F 104.25%

So as you can see, I had a bit of an advantage at age 44 Smile

As for age-grading compared over distances, though my PRs (set at ages 42-44) are all very even under the equivalency calculators, my shorter distances are much better age graded.  They are:

Mile: 5:25 (age 43):  84:46%

5K: 18:51 (age 43): 82.05%
                              10K: 38:56 (age 42): 81.89%

10M: 1:03:55 (age 42): 80.99%
                              Half: 1:25:43 (age 43): 80.36%

Full: 3:02:58 (age 44): 78.63%

There's an age graded discussion on LetsRun, so I raised this there.  Someone responded that speed goes before endurance once you're over 40, and so that's why the shorter distances get a higher age grading.  I suspect it's also because people like Meb, Abdi, Deena, etc aren't racing very many miles and 5Ks on the roads.  As elites age, they move up to the longer distances, skewing the results.

Yoga and 8.5 "miles" pool-running this morning.  June was 165.5 miles plus 69 miles in the pool.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rovatti ~ I wonder how McMillan's algorithm accounts for aging (loss of speed/elasticity) ... not sure it does. (edit: see I was lapped by DkW w/ much better explanation.)

oregon ~ I've heard of people putting fat tires on their Go, but handling would be awful (the center of gravity is so high). I lose so much momentum just making a simple turns.

Misery Index approaching 170 today = TM.