2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sitting in Ouray CO, waiting for my race to start in... oh... 41 hours, with very little to do.  Especially since I failed to connect with Ilana when I was closer to Durango.  So I might as well catch up on 15 pages of the 320 thread.

Brew: Ditto to what Matt said about putting NeRP in a trailer behind your bike.  What could go wrong?  I raised a Hardrock Strawberry Rhubarb Gose in your honor at Avalanche Brewing in Silverton.  Darkwave could have put a tiny umbrella in it.

Jim's Kat: Cool encounter with CBBPTR (Certain Boulder-Based etc...).  Haven't scratched "going out for beers" off my fan-boy list yet.

Jack Daniels Plans: Buried in the second edition of his book is a sentence or two saying that for the harder workouts, mortal runners should run by time not distance.  E.g. instead of running 1 mile at T pace, run 5-6 minutes at T pace.  That makes the workout/rest combo much more do-able.

Hardrock: Since I was here to acclimate, I went to Silverton last weekend, volunteered, and did one "run".  The run was the first leg of the John Cappis 50k Fat Ass course - basically up an avalanche gully from Silverton to the top of Kendall Benchmark (which you can see from Silverton) and then a ridge run over Kendall Mountain (which you can't see) and back down to Silverton.  The first uphill was something like 3500 feet up in 1.5 miles, and ended with a scramble up very loose sketchy scree.  It felt like the mountain was going to slide out from under me and I did a lot of slow 4-point subtle weight shifts to get past a 20 foot bulge.  I talked to James Varner (John Cappis RD, DNF'd at Hardrock this year due to lightning) afterwards - he said they are going to change that bit.  It's ok when there's snow there but it's "scary as $hit" (his words) without snow.

I did data entry for about 6 hours - if you were following the tracking on Friday, that was me - and volunteered at the finish line "aid station" from 3am Saturday to 1pm Saturday.  I was there when the RD came in and announced that the first runner would be even later because Xavier had just been disqualified.  I heard he was photographed sitting in a car getting water and ice just two miles out of the Ouray aid station.  Dumb and pretty weird.  The funny thing is that I noticed his tracker basically stop right there on the map for a while.  It took them about 8 hours of meetings to make the DQ call - really trying to make sure they knew exactly what had happened.

Lots of trail runner celebrities were there running, watching, and/or helping - both Western States winners, other top 10 WS finishers from previous years, a bunch of Hardrock old-timers.  It was cool to see Michael Wardian put in a long volunteer shift at the finish line aid-station after he finished.   The 3rd finisher in the Barkley movie - John Fegyverisi - also ran and finished.  He was on a ridge during a big lightning storm that hit Saturday evening and said that was also SaS.

Ouray 100: And my race, the Ouray 100, starts Friday morning.  If lightning and fatigue don't get me, I expect to finish Sunday morning after the sun comes up the second time.   Tracking and other info here, for those who enjoy watching paint dry.

So what you're saying is if I keep TRAINING like an elite (miles not time) I'll PERFORM like an elite? If it makes you feel better I actually made it through the (stupid) workout in the heat with only my last 1,000m repeat "bringing the suck" and having to slow down to T heart rate. The 400s were over before I could realize they suck too. Oh and I got some more "running at night with a headlamp" experience for whenever you need another pacer, but I'll train more this time.

Side Track: did you know Catra Corbet (dirt deva) ran Tahoe 200 the same year as you? Have you met her?

This is the first I've heard (didn't do any searching) of how it was proven and WHAT kind of aid was provided. All I read was people were a little upset with how long it took to announce the DQ, Hardrock wanted an America to win (since apparently Killian is never returning), and the RD wanted to make absolutely 100% sure exactly what happened which took time. Then there are the logistics of making the announcement on THAT course. Apparently in France they can do what they want and Killian was once DQ'd in America for cutting switchbacks. He even said "American rules are different." and the general consensus was the manual was clear on allowable aid. Jam Jam said he once accepted a beer and asked if he should have been DQ'd. He received mixed reactions apparently.

I guess I should look at LetsRun to find out. You're going to KILL Ouray 100 this weekend. If that pass is the one I heard about from IRunFar interviews it's as wicked as you describe it. Watching paint dry sounds like my kind of hobby. Right up there with not drinking beer (i need to start that again) and annoying (level 10 crying) an (almost) 8 month old by laughing too hard.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing: Strong week for you. 1,000 meter repeats kinda suck, I'll be honest, but 5 of them ain't so bad. And the 400s after will be fun.

I've been spending way too much money on running clothes lately. I am rewarding myself for recovering and I can't seem to stop buying stuff. Help!!!

They weren't the worst thing in the world but having to do them around 5K pace brings the suck. I actually think this is similar to Hanson's training effort but I don't want to look. The 400s were FAWKING rough but felt easier than the 1,000s. Mostly because they're over in 90 seconds so I can hammer them out and I get 2-3 minutes to jog the recovery. I don't have a mile race pace but there were sub 6:00 pace and that's about what my calculated mile time is.

Oh and quit calling them running clothes. If you wear them grocery shopping, or around the house doing chores it's "active wear". Good job on coming back to running too. I'm a little paranoid about any kind of sickness at almost any time I'm training.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - My DD3 was the December baby. I thought the baby order was Brew, Ace (or Ace, Brew), Keen, Pesto.
        The HM I'm running is too small for pacers. I don't think there has ever been more than 90-100 people run it either year.
        What are you feeling nervous about? Your workouts have looked pretty solid, especially considering the altitute/heat/humidity trifecta you're living in. And 73 days is still a ton of time.
        Oh, and good job on that 1k+400m workout.

E11 - I've come to believe more and more in that "6-8 hard weeks" theory myself. And it especially hit home since for some reason I decided to look over all of my plan again to make sure it's correct in my Garmin calendar - scary stuff!
        I wouldn't worry too much about the packed dirt trail. I figure something like that would be very similar to the dirt roads I frequent. It's not quite as fast as asphault or cement, but it is easier on the legs as well to offset that.
        I'm completely with you on "coldness" being a major factor in race selection.

Max - I had wondered why it took so long to DQ Xavier. We have those moths in OK, but I haven't seen one for quite a while. I may end up switching to time vs distance for my T runs - especially if the weather is similar to what it was this morning.
        Best of luck with the race!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Our RD just sent a note that there was a glitch with the tracking service, and our trackers may go live today (good) or tomorrow sometime after we start (not as good).  So if you look midday and you see me at the start, or not at all, it doesn't mean anything bad.  Probably.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

max! good luck, have fun, and stay positive!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - My DD3 was the December baby. I thought the baby order was Brew, Ace (or Ace, Brew), Keen, Pesto.

Now that you lined it out I believe it is Ace (October?), Brew (December), Keen (Feb?), Pesto (March?). There are so many I just can't keep track of them. I'm sure you know the feeling. I need to add these to the calendar in my phone for calendars to keep track of them.

Max We had a meeting on increasing work efficiency. One suggestion was free wifi. I think it would increase efficiency because I wouldn't be attempting to reload Badwater and Ouray pages this week.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Now that you're putting in months, I'm thinking Ace, Brew (December), Keen (later December), Pesto (January). Or we could just do some searching through the thread, but what fun would that be?

Looks like Max is at ~mile 9, 11.5k elevation and on about an 11% grade downhill. Wow, that's steep!

Here's another question for the class: What are everyone's thoughts on moving a few easy miles to the beginning and/or end of workouts, or getting in an extra 2-3 (very) easy miles via doubles and cutting down miles on easy run days? Workouts themselves would remain unchanged. So about ~16 miles on workout days and ~8 miles on easy/recovery days.

Right now there's not a lot of (mileage) difference between workout and non-workout days. Doing this I'd keep the same overall MPW, but make the harder days harder and the easy days easier. Or is keeping the relatively even mileage per day more beneficial for endurance?
                Now that I've typed this out the proposed mileage on workout days seems more intimidating than it did in my head...

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

AceHarris

DD3 was November for us.

Keen: that’s an interesting question. As far as distance of easy miles, I feel like the distance can be important as far as “time on feet” and building those glycogen stores (assuming that’s how it works). Workout days are more for speed, endurance, threshold. So the key is the pace and time at those paces. Anything prompting this question?

I’m 2/3 finished with Endure. Really enjoying it and all the physiology! A good read.

Just finished Finding Ultra. I enjoyed it as well, but Endure is more intriguing.

Anybody have some some other fun or interesting reads? Does not have to be running related. I’m also in the middle of Harry Potter book 4. I’m 32 and this is the first time I’ve read them.

Go MAX!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

oregonrw

Good luck Max!

Ace: If you like mysteries Anthony Horowitz has a new one out, but his last one, The Magpie Murders, was awesome.  I want to read Endure.

Keen:  That seems like a lot of miles on workout days in terms of your overage mileage, but I don't really the know the answer.

It's supposed to be 92 degrees at 7 pm tomorrow night for the 5k I'm running -- any advice? I don't run well in heat.

Running Problem

Problem Child

babies Man we really stacked them in there. November, December, December (TAX WRITEOFFS!) January.

keen extra miles via doubles is kind of the only way I was able to get 70. I believe JD says something about getting in the miles however you can and even mentions triples. Hanson's has 3 miles for warm up/cool down built in to their workouts and they say to max them at 6 if you want more miles. I wouldn't see much of a problem doing more miles after a workout at an easy pace to be any different than doing two 5 mile runs to make 10 miles for a day. Just realize you'd do like 13 miles for a workout and be increasing that to 15 so the time commitment is a bigger concern to me (being away from wife/kids) depending on the time of day you're able to do that many miles.

ace I stopped after Book 4. College demanded more reading. I've seen all the movies and know them (not joking) as "is this the one with the/where they" kind of like "that time" for Strava. My wife and her friends are usually impressed with my knowledge of the HP I've acquired.

oregon start like 10 seconds slower than whatever you think race pace should be. Don't worry about water or shade since it's probably around 20 minutes (+/- 5) of running. You can always speed up at the end but it shouldn't be as bad as you're thinking. I may also be getting a little accustomed to the heat.

no run today. Apparently Harveys at Lake Tahoe created an undisclosed rule of holding all traffic from leaving a Chris Stapleton concert until the entire show is done. I wanted to leave at 10:30. I sat in the parking garage until about 11:05 then had to buy some gas (4.05/gallon) to get home around 12:30. The upside was NeRP slept (at home) the entire time and was super easy for our baby sitter. I'm so tired and just want to take a nap. I think max is the only one who feels worse than me right now.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - The idea of moving miles around just popped into my head this morning - I really don't know why. Only the timing of a few miles would change - workout paces would stay the same, and easy miles would either be the same or slower.
                        Have you read any of the Sherlock Holmes books/stories? I've been meaning to read Finding Ultra myself. My wife actually finished the series for the first time within the last month.

Oregon - I don't think any of us run well in heat! A couple years ago I did a 5k series during the summer (all evening races). I think the average temp was ~95*. Yuck. If you're running it just to run it, I'd start 20-30 sec/mi slower than usual and you can always speed up later. You probably won't need much of a warm-up, either. Be careful with what you eat in the couple hours before the race.

Brew - I don't think moving the miles around would impact time with the family - I'd just get up extra early on those days, or I'd end up with an easy double during lunch at work. I might actually get some more time with them in the mornings on easy days if I get up at my usual time and run fewer miles.
                        4.05/gal??? Man, I love Oklahoma.
                        Hadn't heard of Stapleton, but a quick google says I might be interested. I'm pretty much a purist when it comes to my country music, though.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Max - Good luck in the ongoing race!

Elizabeth - Good to see you back again!

Ilana - 40 mpw ftw! You are coming back strong. (Most of) the speed will come back eventually.

Oregon - I always move during recovery. Mostly slow jogging but sometimes, especially during interval workouts, I do some walking as well. Good luck in your 5k!

Brew - 10 weeks is still a long time to get ready. I guess that puts you right into some of the harder parts of the program as well so it's time to put the hammer down .  I also think the I-paced workouts ideally will be done at something like a 3k race pace. Just a few seconds difference though.

Ace - Those are some strong 1000s!

Last week was good for me, got my miles in and managed to juggle it all around some travel. Both workouts (I session and long easy run) felt hard but I seem to be back to normal now.  Workouts are posted below.

This week has been ok so far. Traveled to Seattle early this week, got a couple of runs in there, now trying to work around some medical issues in the family so yesterday I cut off an easy mile at the beginning and end of my 3x2T workout to make it go around. I started the workout a hair slower than usual to be a bit closer to planned HM pace next weekend, and at the 3rd 2-mile interval I sped up by 3-4 seconds per mile while my HR stayed the same as on the second interval (average paces were 6:58-6:59-6:55). Based on my HR it looks promising with respect to my goal for the race next weekend. I also realized I've now completed 6 out of 18 weeks of workouts for my program and so far I've met my mileage goal every week and not missed or cut a single workout short (with the exception of trimming easy miles a couple of times, and last week's tempo workout that I completed the next day instead). I'm really hoping the consistency will show in the race results this summer and fall.

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Jul 16, 2018 thru Sunday, Jul 22, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                          Mon 3.9 10:26 0:40 Evening Run 112 (58%) 75 strava
                          Tue 6.3 8:39 0:54 Lunch Run 130 (68%) 97 strava
                          Wed 9.3 8:53 1:22 (Long) Beach Intervals 144 (75%) 193 strava
                          Fri 9.1 8:49 1:20 Evening Run + strides 130 (68%) 245 strava
                          Sat 17.0 8:34 2:25 Afternoon Run 142 (74%) 516 strava
                          Sun 5.1 10:08 0:51 Slow Recovery Morning Run 124 (65%) 667 strava
                            50.7 8:58 7:35     1793  

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

It's storming like a storming thing out there, or at least over my house.  Radar is showing the whole region under a lot of convection.  I hope Smax is okay - at 12,500 he's above treeline, could be, um, exciting.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hi guys - sorry I've been absent.  A heavy week at work coincided with my coach's annual vacation - during which time I sub in for him, managing/timing the track workouts.  And...my sister was also in town (first time I've seen her in a year).  So yeah, forum participation took a hit.

Here's another question for the class: What are everyone's thoughts on moving a few easy miles to the beginning and/or end of workouts, or getting in an extra 2-3 (very) easy miles via doubles and cutting down miles on easy run days? Workouts themselves would remain unchanged. So about ~16 miles on workout days and ~8 miles on easy/recovery days.

Right now there's not a lot of (mileage) difference between workout and non-workout days. Doing this I'd keep the same overall MPW, but make the harder days harder and the easy days easier. Or is keeping the relatively even mileage per day more beneficial for endurance?
                              Now that I've typed this out the proposed mileage on workout days seems more intimidating than it did in my head...

I do something similar - I'm pretty high mileage on the days I run (almost always double digits when I'm marathon training) but balance with pool-running days.

I think it has benefits for marathon training - where one could argue that the length of the run on the days you do run is as important as overall weekly mileage.  I also think it's one of those things that's very individual.

I'd try it, and then assess how much it's taking out of you, and how much you think you're gaining from it.  It will take you a full training cycle to figure that out, BTW.

Good luck SMAX (even though I know you can't see this now).

Rune - sorry to hear about the family medical issues.

Tough luck on the DQ - but I'm firmly in the "rules is rules" faction.

Pool-running and yoga today (after timing my team's morning tempo workout).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

What are everyone's thoughts on moving a few easy miles to the beginning and/or end of workouts, or getting in an extra 2-3 (very) easy miles via doubles and cutting down miles on easy run days? Workouts themselves would remain unchanged. So about ~16 miles on workout days and ~8 miles on easy/recovery days.

I'm not in a position to speak about this with any authority right now, but back in the day, I found adding miles to workout runs (and reducing miles on the recovery days) to be beneficial.  I think it depends on the goal.

Go max!