2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

We have unhealthy levels of ozone. Ozone is smaller than pm2.5 by about 100 so I don’t think I’ll be on the treadmill. Someone (RLK) can correct me on the size of ozone by I get about 1.272 angstroms times two.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

Brew, I owe you an explanation.  I am actually probably the worst person you will ever meet in regards to heat.  I hibernate in summer.  I once complained on rw about the Philly marathon being too warm with a start temp of 38 degrees.  My threshold for running shirtless is 50 degrees cause anything above that I’m just a sweaty mess.  I suspect I had heat stroke at some point and powered through it because even the slightest warmth will affect me greatly.  I have a no double digit run rule in the summer cause it will end poorly somewhere north of 12.  I once ran a race purely because it was called ‘Never Summer’ and at 11,000 it was still too warm in the afternoon for my liking.

So if I’m walking around around in a long sleeve shirt and long pants and it’s august and I’m alive, there’s just a difference.  I can’t explain it, but I was not exaggerating if I was doing that at home I would have needed medical attention.  Sorry.

Coincidentally currently in Palo Alto where it’s 60 degrees and lovely.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

AceHarris

Quick drop in after the race...pizza and beer.

Trail races are fun!

Trail races are SO different!

August races at 5:30pm are hot AF! Nothing like HR at 90% of max and pace 40 seconds slower than easy days. Thank you hills and heat!

Had to cut out before awards so not sure of place. Somewhere between 5th and 10th. Was hoping for top 5. I may do a brief RR tomorrow.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Made the best of the week that I could. Wednesday's run sucked and I had to cut after the second 2 mile repeat. Sunday's run was nicer to me. I attempted to run in a little bit warmer of weather after some discussions on the topic with JMac from the Sub-3 thread along with running M pace by feel and not looking at the watch. I had SLIGHT assistance with my Garmin set to hold me between 7:13 and 7:22 for M pace but for the most part it was all feel just to get comfortable with the pace. Full disclosure: it's 10 seconds slower than the goal which lines up with a Hanson's marathon paced run except this had many more miles up front. The air quailty should be better this week and we should HOPEFULLY be past 100F day for a week or two.

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Aug 06, 2018 thru Sunday, Aug 12, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Mon 6.8 8:30 That time it’s time to get back into it strava
          Tue 7.0 8:18 That time it’s safer to do it in the morning. strava
          Wed 9.0 8:53 That time it was like nothing I’d ever experienced. strava
          Thu 6.0 8:19 That time it helps that morning movement. strava
          Sat 9.3 8:12 That time the run is sponsored by D and L. strava
          Sun 16.0 7:56 That time Gatorade is the new beer. strava
          Sun 0.3 9:13 That time it’s like running but slower. strava
            54.4 8:19  

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Made the best of the week that I could. Wednesday's run sucked and I had to cut after the second 2 mile repeat. Sunday's run was nicer to me. I attempted to run in a little bit warmer of weather after some discussions on the topic with JMac from the Sub-3 thread along with running M pace by feel and not looking at the watch. I had SLIGHT assistance with my Garmin set to hold me between 7:13 and 7:22 for M pace but for the most part it was all feel just to get comfortable with the pace. Full disclosure: it's 10 seconds slower than the goal which lines up with a Hanson's marathon paced run except this had many more miles up front. The air quailty should be better this week and we should HOPEFULLY be past 100F day for a week or two.

Glad it worked out for you. No worries if your paces are a little slow, it's not an exact science. It's better to get the workout in a bit slower than have to bail early because you ran too fast.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - Awesome job on the trail run. Looking forward to the (possible) RR.

Brew - That's a pretty darn good with considering your local air conditions.

My week below. The coming week should be a little lower on mileage, before bumping up next week towards what I'll (likely) peak at for the cycle.

Weekly Summary
              Monday, Aug 06, 2018 thru Sunday, Aug 12, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
              Mon 10.5 8:39 Stroller miles! Why does DD3 like to wake up at 5 on workout days? 128 (65%) strava
              Mon 2.6 8:26 Bored during a late lunch. 2 hawks and a herd of donkeys braying at me like I'm a dumb... 133 (68%) strava
              Tue 15.1 7:52 Daniels 4x 400M R, 2T, 8x 200m R 148 (76%) strava
              Wed 8.1 8:02 More thunderstorms. Power came back on just in time to hit the 'mill! 132 (67%) strava
              Thu 8.1 8:12 More strollerin' with DD3. She's such an early riser! 133 (68%) strava
              Fri 16.3 7:44 Daniels 2x 2T, 4x 200m R, 1T 149 (76%) strava
              Sat 15.6 8:18 I'm at a bit of a loss for an interesting title here. Maybe it'll come to me later. 136 (69%) strava
                76.3 8:06      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Speed Surplus

"sc: Good to hear from you. Thanks for the kudos! What kind of running are you doing these days?"

I'm just holding steady for the moment. Only about 20 mpw, but mixing in some cycling as well. Heck, I guess I'll post my week.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                Mon 18.7 3:45 1:10 Late ride home 142 (77%) 799 strava
                Tue 18.6 4:10 1:17 Back to back 145 (79%) 1005 strava
                Wed 5.5 8:27 0:46 Hot and boring on the Treadmill 141 (77%) 0 strava
                Thu 6.3 8:23 0:52 More Mill Miles. MoMiMi? ...nah. 143 (78%) 0 strava
                Fri 20.2 3:58 1:20 Underlake tour with Morg 141 (77%) 651 strava
                Sat 6.9 8:30 0:58 Rain 😍 140 (76%) 237 strava
                  76.2 5:04 6:26     2692

The ones that are world records (like 20.2 miles at 3:58/mile) are bike rides.

I'm running Hood to Coast on the 24th of this month, but not really worried about being in peak shape for it. Sort of biding my time waiting to see if I get into BrainDamage next April, and then I'll decide how much training I want to do.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Brew - I think the JMac approach sounds perfectly reasonable, and it looks as though you had a good run.  Here's to better air quality and cooler temperatures!

Keen - aw, you and your DD3 strollering!  ♥  ♥  ♥  Looks like a great week, even if you ran out of things to title your runs, and wow, 76 and not even at peak mileage?  What's your planned peak?

PJ - good to hear from you. I have heat issues too (and I know Elizabeth does as well).  I hope the new job is working out for you.

Ace - trail races ARE fun!  Race report yes please!

Clever - hah, I was looking at those paces and thinking, "metric?"  But biking is good, too!

I'm still having these groin pain issues, grr, but at least it's not getting in the way of running, since it doesn't hurt past the first 10 minutes or so. Last week was pretty good; I didn't get in my planned bicycle ride due to a migraine yesterday, but Saturday I had a really good long run, 14.4 miles with 1-minute 5k-ish pace surges at the beginning of miles 6-14, and a total of 40 miles.  Since one of the factors I've identified as a problem in my last few half marathons is lack of taper, I'm being serious about this one: I'm cutting my miles starting now, and planning to do more fast running for these last two weeks, as the other part of the equation is sharpening, and I want to give that attention, too.  Still, I'm not confident in my original goal and will probably cut it back somewhat.

Running Problem

Problem Child

The season is coming...You don't understand me I love the 1995 photo of 4,500 people. It's 70,000 this year.

keen the air is better now. Probably because I canceled the camping trip. OH YEAH... NeRP woke up/coughed around 4:00 am this morning. I hurried up and got out the door before DW got him out of bed. He was in my spot (snoring) when I got back. Made me think of you. His Saturday run was about 45 minutes after he woke up. Kind of funny he just fell asleep and I tried to impress him (me) with "5K stroller pace" for a future race in backetball shorts and race day shirt. I need a Coors Light tall boy to fill with water/gatorade to drink along the way or at the finish line.

jmac yeah I was thinking the same thing. Start too fast and I'll die too early. Figuring out feel was interesting since it's been a while since I've run M pace in this plan. Seems to be heavy emphasis on T pace.

sc I know about 5 people who want to do that relay. It's always come down to figuring out how to rent vans, get there, bring what we need, and complete the race that's stopped us. If you're looking for half a team to fly in next year hit me up early and I'll spread the word.  It's similar to the RTO I do in May/June.

ilana I hope you keep the original goal and surprise yourself.

pj sounds like you're going to LOVE Northern California with your love for heat. I'm sure you'll tire of Mendocino Brewing Company beer.

I had some random tightness/pain in the left hip/coxal bone. It hasn't bothered me while running but it's a new thing. Possibly tightness.

VDOT 53.37 

oregonrw

Hi -- I've been on vacation and am now back and trying to adjust to reality. We were out on the coast for a week and had great weather, ok running, and lots of relaxing. It was nice.

Clever -- what leg are you running? Since you said extreme downhill, I'm thinking first or second?  I've done HtC a few times, and the year I ran the first leg was the hardest.

Brewing: Glad your air is getting better.  We are starting to get some smoke now - combined with high heat should be a great week.

Ace: Congrats on the trail race!

Keen: Awww, stroller miles.  Smile  And nice week!

ilana: Sorry to hear about the pain issue -- when is your half??

Max: I'm so sorry about your pup.  Pets are family -- losing them is so hard.

I ran a Daniels' workout Friday (20 min E, 20 min T, 20 min E), then easy on Saturday and 11 miles yesterday, 6 miles this morning.  It's going to be hot and smoky this week, though it wasn't bad at 6 this morning so I'll be running early all week.

Speed Surplus

"Clever -- what leg are you running? Since you said extreme downhill, I'm thinking first or second?  I've done HtC a few times, and the year I ran the first leg was the hardest."

Yep, legs 2, 14, and 26. #2 might be the same one I ran last time. This time I plan on being a little smarter and not completely blasting it. Also bringing "the stick" with me into the van afterward to roll out the quads.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

oregonrw

The stick was key for my quads the year I ran the first leg.  I've run the second leg too and that's more manageable I think - I don't remember being as sore afterwards.  Good luck -- I hope you have good weather this year.

Running Problem

Problem Child

"the stick", deoderant, beer, dry layers, pillow, blankets, hummus and chips, hard boiled eggs, Le Croix, and some spare shoes.....see...it's much easier as a team of 6. No concern for sleep, odor, stopping, or recovering. It's just that first year where you realize when you'd USUALLY be going to get food or the start of leg 2 you'll be running. It's fun.

For real though, I can suggest packing your running gear in 1 gallon ziplock bags. When you're done running and change you can store them and minimize odor in the vehicle. Plus they actually take up a LOT less space. If it's anything like the RTO peope bring ALL KINDS of gear they use for 20 minutes over 36 hours.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ilana - I do love the DD3 strollering. I just wish I had some more sidewalks to take her on so I didn't have to run around those little league fields so much.
                              I liked your Saturday LR - good job! Looking forward to your race, and glad the pain issues aren't getting in the way of your activity too much.
                              Oh, and I figure I'll hit low to mid 80's to peak, likely just by adding in some (very) easy doubles, or finally doing a LR greater than 15 miles.

Brew - Glad the air is better. Good job on getting out the door this morning! Funny how the kiddos just fall asleep in the stroller, huh? I think we'll need pics from this stroller/basketball shorts/race shirt 5k when it happens.

Oregon - Thanks! That T workout is a tough one!

Snuck out of work on lunch to order a pair of possible marathoning shoes to try (Escalante Racers). I'm really starting to like the "other" running store in town. Not only is the owner (who coaches and calls lots of local races) super nice and talkative they also have a running club discount for shoes that's 1.5x larger than the flashy LRS, which is a definite bonus.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen bruh....you gotta know by now it’s going to have some photos and an essay. Good job on those 200s. Saw the start of the 2T was a little quick for about 300m. Wink

VDOT 53.37