2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

OMR

yeah, we don't need pockets because we don't need to carry keys or credit cards or gus or anything. we don't run far enough to need any of those things, because our anatomy will fall out if we do. yaaa. 

I originally read that as "guns," not gus.  And then it got me to wondering if Dwave carries her gun in...oh, I don't even want to know.  ;-)

Dwave:  Thanks for the recommendation, I bought the Kindle version...interesting stuff (with a lot of repetition to make it book-length rather than an article, IMO...but worth the $9.99).  I also tried the couch stretch...yeah, no way I'm doing it as recommended, as I think my lower leg would just slingshot off my body and kill my cat.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

omr- ha! noo thank you, not for me.

dwave- this is true, it's where i store at least 2 gels for a marathon. but i would never put my phone in there, as brew pointed out, the sweat would certainly kill it (even through a ziploc). but maybe i will lose some of my millennial cred by admitted i really rarely run with my phone.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

runethechamp

I finally got back on track again this week after a couple of sub-par weeks. I decided to compress the workout schedule a bit to not feel like I missed to much, so I had three hard runs, which beat me up pretty badly, at least judging by how today's long run felt. The Bay Area did show itself from its best winter side today though with temperatures in the high 60s during my run. Next week will be tough with 12.5 miles m-pace on Wednesday and a 19-mile run on Sunday so I hope my legs will recover some the next couple of days.

I'm also wondering if I should purchase one of Jack Daniels' 24-week marathon programs for my race in October.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Link
        Tue 7.6 8:53 1:07 3-mile tempo 146 (76%) strava
        Wed 4.2 8:48 0:37 Morning Run 127 (66%) strava
        Thu 6.2 8:30 0:52 Lunch Run 138 (72%) strava
        Fri 7.1 8:43 1:01 7x800 Intervals - almost back on track! 143 (74%) strava
        Sun 15.2 8:30 2:09 Long run with Russ 146 (76%) strava
          40.3 8:38 5:48      

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

fb-guy

Oregon -- well done! I'm an advisor at a clean energy org and work closely with non-profit lawyer. Great guy. :-)

DW -- if you wear lots of toss-able clothes and bring an extra pair of toss able shoes and something to lie on (cardboard from the powerbars) hanging out waiting for wave 1 can be a lot of fun. It's a good vibe. In past years, 3:20 has had a big tarp and there was a fun pre-race meet-up. I brought beer the year is was really hot and a group decided to do a fun run. If it's muddy, having dry shoes for the race is nice.

Rovatti -- nice to see you getting miles.

OMR -- hope you are healing. Do you have a schedule to start running again?

Nice week Dad. Do you track pace or HR for your regular, boring runs?

Me? I'm stupid. Doing 4@slow today for recovery, I was looking for a flat-ish stretch of road, ran into a closed road (working on the electric wires) and was forced onto a really good running road. Pretty flat, pretty wide, not much traffic and there were 10+ joggers mid-day, Left to my own devices I probably would have never found it.

45 last week with 15@8:14 yesterday (1,000 ft) and 7:29 last mile. That's a good run for me, so yay. 200 @ 8:17 for the month -- best month in 2+ years.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Strict WTF adherent

DW - If you go to the far northwest corner of the athlete's village, there's an area outside the gate with a small building and some bleachers. Security MAY let you go there to stretch out. One of the guards was fine with it last year, and another wasn't having it.

You'll almost certainly be in wave one. One of the neat things there is that if you can resist rocketing down that hill at the start, you'll find yourself alongside just a few other runners for a while.

FB - I must have missed the part where you left California. Or maybe you aren't who I thought.

Hello to everyone else.

Found some mobility stuff on youtube (where I get all of my medical advice), and it has helped with that knee thing I was was dealing with earlier this month. Finished this week with 35 miles. Hoping that isn't another false start.

Nice week Dad. Do you track pace or HR for your regular, boring runs?

Nope.

I have an awareness of pace ... I generally start in high 9s and try not to dip too far into upper 8s; if I see 8Tight lippedx, I try to ask myself if this is really an easy pace and then back off.

I think it was DkW's coach who said easy runs are pass/fail, not graded. I just need more T-shirts that say "THIS IS MY EASY RUN!" on front and back to assuage my ego!

Congrats on getting back over 200.

I'm also wondering if I should purchase one of Jack Daniels' 24-week marathon programs for my race in October.

JD's methodology is sound, but 24 weeks is a long time to stay locked in to one goal.

An alternative might be to spend @3-4 weeks building your base, another 3-4 focusing on a 5K (mile-10K), then another 3-4 at high mileage and building LR, then do the last 12 weeks of more focused work (tempos and long MP segments), something like that.

jaimegu

Hi, everyone,

Let me introduce myself:  Jaime, 45M, from Montreal, QC (originally from Colombia)

Started running in 2010.  Stopped in 2014 due to a groin injury (probably osteitis pubis). Ran occasionally in 2015-16 apart from football (the one you actually play with your feet) and cycling.  Resumed in January 2017

I call myself Half-marathoner as this is the distance I prefer and race the most, however I have run 2 marathons: 3:14 in Ottawa '14 and 3:18 in Cornwall '18.  The later gave me a pass to Beantown which I will be running in less than 3 months time.

I was toying with the idea of following Daniels but some health issues prevented me from doing it.

So, after a multisport summer, I resumed training late August slowly building towards 75Kpw (around 46mpw) which I held for 9 weeks, but I injured my back in December, then I got a flu.  Needless to say, I lost precious time and fitness.

In January things look like:

78Km -57 Km - 78 - 84Km  (48- 36 - 48 - 52 miles)

One tempo a week - one indoor soccer session - one long, and random easy runs, sometimes with strides, sometimes with GMP.

I have a tuneup race in March 4th.  a HM in Hampton Beach, NH

So here I am, willing to share my training and my little knowledge, but also eager to learn from your experience, specially related to Boston.

DukeDB

DWave:  You may have heard enough already about the Cross-Newtown Marathon, but if not here's two more.  First, it's a lot easier to get used to prepping for a 10am marathon than it is for a early one like Big Sur or Disney.  You don't have to eat much and there's plenty of time for things to work themselves out.  I've been in Wave 1 (last person, almost) and Wave 2 (reverse situation) - for both races I woke up at normal time, ate a normal long run breakfast, and caught one of the first buses for a faster, lower stress ride and enjoyed myself in the Athletes Village.  Both were warm days and nobody PRd, tho.  Next, there an enormous, no-waiting porta-potty farm on the walk from the Athletes' Village to the starting line.  This wasn't well advertised in the Athletes' Village when I was there.

Dad: That's a good point about 24 weeks being too long a cycle.  I'm looking to run a long cycle for the Fall but I am going to spend some time circling some races to punctuate things along the way.

Four day trip to Tampa coincided with a scheduled step-back week in my 50K program - so I just took it off.  Time for 3 high mileage weeks and then a two-week taper.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Description Link
                    Mon 5.2 8:46 Custis West: Feeling Nine strava
                    Tue 6.2 7:38 W&L: 5 yo-yo 800s strava
                    Wed 4.1 8:33 Safety 3: Keep the wheels a spinnin’ strava
                    Thu 6.3 9:13 KFS: Ez miles with Felix strava
                      21.8 8:32    
                    Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk I made it to 12 seconds. I think it's just clickbait for me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

I had only 16 or so miles by Friday morning last week.  So I did 11-10-14 to get over 50 and make it a decent week.  All 8:30ish pace.  I was pretty beat up from Sunday's race/long run so I was taking it easy.  Might race again this weekend (5k or trail race).

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Katia77

Question: where is this introductions page everyone speaks of?

Keen - that's really impressive TM running. I'm so happy I've been able to get outside!

Sports bra as one big pocket - cannot do this. Have regretted it many times. Ouch. Lululemon does (did?) have a a "stuff your bra" sports bra made for it, and that works ok for Gu and stuff like that.

McBen - youtube is amazing. You can find almost anything there, I'm convinced.

Brew - you're definitely right about making it work and making a sacrifice. I sacrificed sleep. lol. a lot of sleep!

Ace - definitely glad the ankle is healing up. I can tell it's there, but I've been injured enough to know what's serious and what's not.

DW - I ran Botswana in 2012., which IIRC was a really late start and 95 degrees so I'm not sure it would have mattered what I did. When I ran NYCM, it was a similar time and both times I think the day started around a transportation that left around 6am, for a 10amish start time. I have not yet mastered the art of timing eating, bc I was hungry to the point of feeling like I'd pass out for days after NYCM. I think I'll eat a bagel upon waking and then eat a second bagel 1-2 hours before the start. I don't remember the buses having bathrooms, I remember them being school buses. I do a lot of my LRs later in the day anyway (this weekend at 4pm), so I don't worry too much about that, but I think it's probably wise to do it if you're used to early morning runs.

Rlk - I have SO many throw away clothes and have always done that, too. I don't get the point of buying something just to toss!

Last week - I haven't posted "my week since May...

M: 5.1 @ 9:37 (new next door neighbor is a runner! Will gladly slow down a bit for a running buddy)

W: 3.9 @ 8:35 (lunch run)

H: 8.6 @ 8:32

S: 11.2 @ 8:20

Total: 28.8

I don't have much of a choice but to build slowly but surely, but all things considered I feel pretty good. Just seeing how this goes at this point. The two partners at my small firm are cyclists so no one thinks it's weird if I go out and run in the middle of the day and then change in my office without showering, though we do have a shower that I may have to use if my runs get longer! The one with an office next to mine was a college athlete as well, so we get each other in that sense.   Planning on booking  flights tonight.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave:  You may have heard enough already about the Cross-Newtown Marathon, but if not here's two more.  First, it's a lot easier to get used to prepping for a 10am marathon than it is for a early one like Big Sur or Disney.  You don't have to eat much and there's plenty of time for things to work themselves out. 

Heh.  I'm a big breakfast eater pre-run, so yeah, I do have to eat a lot on race morning.  I've got a good hold on how to eat in the last 24 hours that works for morning races; I just need to tweak it for a later start.  I don't think I'd have much problem eating for a 5-6 am race start - I start many of my runs around 5:30 am.  (timing asthma meds would be an issue, alas).

BTW, I think you and I were on the track at WL last Tuesday.  I was with a big pack, running 2000m and then 4x800.  Come up and say hi if we're both there tomorrow.  I'm not sure what I'll be wearing yet, but I'm short with black hair in a doubled-up pony tail.  A lot of times I wear something with skulls on it - that's a good way to spot me.

Hi Jaime  - welcome.

I agree with Dad's view on a 24 week cycle being way too long.

K - athletic coworkers are so nice - because they understand.  (assuming they're not the "I broke 60 minutes for 10K running 20 minutes 3 times a week so it's ridiculous you run more than that" type.)

Rune - I'm confused by your training - I thought your marathon wasn't until fall.

Hi to all others.  yoga and 8.5 "miles" in the pool this morning.

K - the introductions page is in the 320 group forum; link is on the first page of this thread.

Speaking of which, I'm off to update the race goals thread.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

A lot of good weeks, everyone.  I got 60 last week, including some actual workouts.  I did some fartleks on Tuesday and hills on Thursday.  The rest of the week was easy pace runs of various sorts.

As for Boston (or is it unlucky to use that word?) pre-race prep, I have nothing useful to add.  Since it wasn't a 'focus' race for me (more of a fun run), it never occurred to me to change my meal schedule.  Last year, I just had a decent breakfast and that was fine for me.  I didn't even bring gels (managed to forget them), but the locals were handing out oranges and such.  I also ran the George Washington Birthday Marathon last year, which had a 10 AM start, and used a similar schedule, with a decent breakfast at 7 or so and that was about it.

Speed Surplus

"SC I see you lurking."

Indeed, I have been scoping things out for a triumphant return... once I hit 30 mpw. I still haven't gotten there - I've been upper-20s for the last 5 weeks or so.

I have registered for a marathon, though. The "Light at the End of the Tunnel" downhill marathon - I believe the same one SMAX did a while back.

So I'll break my self-imposed rule and declare myself back. (I really should hit 30 mpw this week, anyway). As Brew suggested, I've been lurking a bit, but not really enough to completely be up to speed.

Strangely, I've actually been feeling moderately fit in the past few weeks, even though my mileage has been poor and I haven't really done any workouts. It could just be that I'm well-rested from not running a lot or doing any workouts, of course.  I have no way of knowing my actual fitness, since I haven't raced since March of last year!

So, I will be racing a 5k again in March of this year, and I'll likely try to get a tune-up half on the books as well. In the meantime, yesterday I ran 8k on the track at roughly goal marathon pace of 7:17. It was a medium effort and my avg. HR came out to 157, but it was definitely creeping up to 160-162 in the last mile or so. So, question: Is there anything that can be extrapolated from that information? What kind of HR is usually sustainable for a marathon? All I know is that my easy runs are usually 135-145, and a 5k will be in the mid 170s, maybe getting to 180 by the end.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12