2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

The Brookhaven Run is billed as one of the flattest and fastest 5k courses in Oklahoma, which measures up given the (DWave approved) barely perceptible elevation changes and that both the men's and women's state records were set here.

The course itself is a lollipop in which the sole loop doesn't join back up with the shared portion of the "stick" until about mile 2.25 (~.7 mi outbound). This gives plenty of time for the back of the pack to clear the area before the leaders come through the area again, avoiding the course congestion that is the bane of most other 5ks would-be-fast courses in the OKC area. The course is also almost entirely in an old neighborhood, which in this part of the metro means the addition of large trees to block both sun and wind.

The temperature at the start was ~75* with about a 10 mph south wind (with the start, against the finish), so not really any different than the conditions of the last 5k I ran or from what I've been training in recently. I was a bit surprised to see a few XC/track teams at the start, given that their seasons had already begun. Without a strict time goal in mind (other than sub-19) I lined up behind these kids.

The race started predictably fast, but I tried to not get caught up in this. We were almost immediately running under a broad canopy of trees, so GPS pace was quite erratic (am I running 5 min/mi, or 6:30 /mi?). I quickly decided against referencing my watch too much, opting to try holding an effort that felt sustainable.

By the end of the first kilometer in 3:47 (kilometers, not miles were marked, and included clocks) I was already passing some of the XC runners who started ahead of me. Aided by a rough course map drawn on my left hand I was able to run pretty good tangents on the gently-winding road.

Kilometer 2 (3:50) passes without much movement in the loose pack I'm in, aside from passing then being passed by a guy I recognize from Strava, but whose name I don't recall. I'm not at all used to racing with so many people around, and the company is definitely appreciated.

Kilometer 3 (3:51) is on the road outside of the neighborhood, so we no longer have the protection of the trees. The second half of it is also directly into the wind, though it doesn't seem to make too much impact. Effort through here is harder than what I'm used to running but sustainable.

We move back in to the neighborhood and are soon covered by trees again. I start passing more people here, in no small part due to following the tangents rather than keeping to the curb on the left-hand side of the road. Most people seem to have an aversion to running down the middle of a road or by the right-hand curb, closed course or not. I hit the kilometer 4 mark (3:54) and get a little mad at myself since I don't feel at all that I have a reason to have slowed down at all.

I pick up the effort at this point to a level that I only hope is sustainable for the duration of the race. I pass Recognized-From-Strava Guy one last time as well as catch and pass the jerk who told me to "do my own work" (instead of drafting off him before passing) during a windy 25k a year or two ago. Past this everything is a blur.

I hit the final straightaway and see the finish line clock and know that sub-19 is going to happen. I cross the finish line right with someone else (no idea who) and we both nearly run headlong into a group of people standing too close to the line so they could take pictures. Final kilometer in 3:33, chip time 18:54.

My chip didn't register a time when I went to check in on the computer afterwards, so I had to talk to the guy who runs the timing company. When I got to the trailer they use for their equipment there were already a couple others with the same problem, and more showed up after I did. Fortunately my time was picked up by their "backup system". This seems to happen in about half of the races done by this company, so I'm about ready to swear off their races altogether.

Takeaways: 
    I'm certainly in 5k PR shape, though I'm far out of 5k practice. After this marathon cycle I should devote some time to racing 5ks/10ks.
    Judging by my closing kilometer being at my (way soft) mile PR pace I definitely could have pushed a good deal harder through the entire race.
    It's SO much easier to hold a given effort and to push the effort with someone nearby than it is solo.
    Always wear a chest strap when racing! Looking back at the HR data for this it definitely seems that the optical sensor in my watch locked on to my cadence for probably at least the last mile, so that data is worthless.

I sustained a higher wattage (per Stryd) for this than any other 5k I've ran (I didn't look much at this during the race). This gives me a new "do not go below" number for 5ks going forward.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Arvind Balaraman

Awesome RR CK

Speed Surplus

Nice race and report, CK! Is that your first sub-19?

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - No, reimbursement isn't an option. It's a "use this discount code when you sign up" thing.

Arvind - Thanks!

SClever - Yes, that is indeed my first sub-19. Feels good to finally get through that barrier.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

ckeen loved reading your report! congrats on that super fast time. agree with you about having other racers very nearby. I'm currently searching for a fall half and my main  criterion is that I'll have plenty of people around me!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen well the no refund/use discount thing sucks. If you really want to do the race you pay up front which probably increases your odds of winning the lottery. If you don't, it cost you $20. I guess you could always look at it like gambling with $20 instead of a race costing you $125...unless the race fills up.

As for kids sick...that sucks. Daycare does the same thing if your'e curious. It happens.

As for missing workouts, been there. Done that. Just look through the last few months. I missed some due to smoke, time, lack of any desire to run, sickness, and bailed on one or two. Go back and remember all that good advice you, and everyone else here, gave me about "one workout doesn't make/break" a plan. To quote Jason Boland (you should remember this run) "I quit quitting the very next day" comes to mind. If you quit early-ish because you're sick it's one thing. If you're quitting a workout in the last 3-6 weeks because you can't finish it I'd be a little more mentally down on myself. I say this after missing one of the FEW M paced workouts in the plan...with 32 days and about 8 workouts to go.

As for your 5K...it sounds as though you're getting the dwave effect of running by feel. I think this is becoming a thing here. Also her "Run through both timing mats in case the first one doesn't catch your bib" advice. We have a few local timing companies with their games on point. One was recently hired to do timing for a fundraiser run and I informed the person who selected them of their upstanding race organization. Glad you got past the "don't draft me" guy. I might have had a mental note for him as I passed.

Oh and your 18:54 projects a NICE marathon time, along with a HEALTHY VDOT using my height and weight (short and round) but your training is going to get harder now.   I've considered doing the 5K/10K focus but I think if I go Sub 20 I'll be done with the 5K. I don't have a goal 10K pace. Mostly goal marathon pace (4/20/20 entry) then maybe focus on distance running.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Oh and your 18:54 projects a NICE marathon time, along with a HEALTHY VDOT using my height and weight (short and round) but your training is going to get harder now.   I've considered doing the 5K/10K focus but I think if I go Sub 20 I'll be done with the 5K. I don't have a goal 10K pace. Mostly goal marathon pace (4/20/20 entry) then maybe focus on distance running.

Keen - I think sub 3:05 is in the cards for you. Would have to see how your next half goes. If you can crack 1:27, I'd say your A goal is 3:05, B goal is 3:10, C goal is PR.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CK - congrats and very nice race report.  I agree with others on the benefits of having others around - it gives you something external to focus on, in addition to the windblocking ability.  So happy for you!

(and ditto on the comments about a workout not mattering in grand scheme of things.  And also about 3:05 being in range, especially with a faster half).

(also a note of appreciation for the quasi-apocalyptic nature of your race course)

(welcome JMac!)

(end parentheses)

The weather's been tough here - with very high dew points.  Today was particularly rough - temp and dew point of 78 (Brewing - that's 100% humidity).  We did a workout of 400, 800, 2x1200, 800, 400, with instructions to start very carefully and cruise most of the workout (my coach refused to time the first 400).  We also jogged the recoveries really slowly.  Ran 1:38, 3:04, 4:35, 4:29, 2:53, and 83 (pushed on the last two reps).   Pretty happy with this, given the conditions.  Ran 10 miles total including warm-up (2.5 miles at 9:22) and cooldown (3 miles at 9:42).  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Keen:  Congrats on the sub-19!

rovatti:  Wow, 10-mile runs.  Good for you!

Dwave:  78 dew point...ugh...

So, I guess I had a week last week, even if it goes against the grain.

M:  Rest
                    T:  3x10min, 3.95M @ 7:38OA
                    W:  12x200m, 8x400m, 10x200m, 7:26OA
                    T:  2x20min, 4.8M @ 8:16
                    F:  Rest
                    S:  6x5min, 4.25M @ 7:01

S:  5.5M @ 8:11

Total:  23.25M, 7:45OA.

AceHarris

CK: Awesome race! PRs and breaking barriers are the best. Congrats! Enjoyed the RR too.

Dwave: We've had similar conditions here, it's pretty awful, but I feel like I've adapted over the course of the summer. The last week or so our humidity has been near 100 in the mornings as well. Nice ladder workout.

Had an okay 20 miler on Saturday. Was supposed to run the last 5 miles at GMP (6:55), but I tanked. I went 6:53, 6:53, 7:12, 7:31, 8:07. I think I was behind on fluids and nutrition for a run in these conditions. First 15 were roughly 7:50 pace.

Decent workout yesterday. 2 easy, 4x200, 5x1000, 4x200, 2 easy. Rest during 200s was 200 jog. Rest between 1000s was 1:00. Went:

40, 39, 41, 38

3:41, 3:39, 3:37, 3:38, 3:36

39, 39, 39, 38

Racing a HM on Saturday. Conditions are supposed to be tough. 68 in the morning with plenty of humidity. It's a gradual uphill course, but well shaded. Hoping to break 1:25.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Today was particularly rough - temp and dew point of 78 (Brewing - that's 100% humidity).  

So does this count as pool running or speedwork? NICE finish. I see how you earned that moose mug.

rlk Morgan Hill running Festival October 21. They can't make up their mind if they're going to have a marathon there or not. It was canceleed the year I considered running it. Maybe you'll get some more free strawberries. It isn't flat. Going over the freeway is a short hill, Edmonds didn't seem as bad as the map makes it but I could beer wrong. Running shops and Hops for beer after. About half way through training if you and some teammates want to sign up now for that hour long trek South again. No I'm not biased to that town it is just convenient.

ace Any thought on going slightly slower for the first 15? Maybe 8:00 or even 8:15 pace? Also, like all the other fast people your sprint/interval times are pretty awesome.

Mile is an out and back. 10 year age groups and each age group runs the course as a whole. There is an elite (not me) race if you're 5:30 or something crazy like that. Completely unsure how to approach a mile with a half mile turn around where a large number of people could be going way too fast and decide at the turn around they want to walk/jog/die/quit.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

AceHarris

Brew: I probably should slow down the easy miles a bit, but I've run the last two 20 mile runs with a couple guys and their pace is a tad faster than mine so I've chosen company over comfort. Next week's 21 miler will be by myself because I have to do it on a Friday. I need to be more obedient to my easy pace.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

OMR - good to see "a week" from you!

Ace - yeah - 100% humidity has been a regular thing for us - DC is as humid as the deep south, due to some quirks of local geography.  But it's one thing to be temp/DP 72 at 6:30 am, and another to be temp/DP 78. at that time...

Strong intervals, BTW.

Also, you didn't ask me, but I don't think it's the biggest sin to push the pace on your long runs - those are a workout, after all.  You just need to make sure you're not overdoing it and frying yourself, and also that your recovery days are truly recovery days.

Brewing - people won't die AT the turn - they'll start fading after the first 400m, and then try to pick it up at the turn, I suspect.  As for the turn itself - I recommend swinging a bit wide before cutting in on it - like the red dotted line in this graphic.  Especially in a road mile, the lost speed from slowing down for a tight turn will cost you much more than any extra distance covered at race pace.

7 very easy to yoga (9:29), yoga, and then 5 very easy (8:50 - downhill route) plus drills+strides.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

If ever anyone wondered why you don’t run beyond your training paces it’s me. 200m isn’t that far but when you do them 5-7 seconds too fast with a full recovery in between it doesn’t feel good when you stop. 36.71 200m. I’ll still slower than a 4’ nothing 15 year old girl. So I got THAT going for me.

DWave Thanks for the advice, although after tonight’s workout I’m wondering about that 6:00/mi pace. It’s seems extremely long after doing an 8 mile warm up.

VDOT 53.37 

Arvind Balaraman

Good luck with your Race. Looking forward to the 1:25 and the RR

Racing a HM on Saturday. Conditions are supposed to be tough. 68 in the morning with plenty of humidity. It's a gradual uphill course, but well shaded. Hoping to break 1:25.