2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Well, don't just vaguebook, people!  What happened to someone we might know?

+1!!

I'm in Seattle. seattlemax is in Idaho. It is a gloomy day here.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Strict WTF adherent

Made it almost half a mile today.

Anyone else hesitant to seek medical help for injuries because you know the answer will be to visit a physical therapist eight times per week at a cost of several hundred dollars? Just me?

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Made it almost half a mile today.

Anyone else hesitant to seek medical help for injuries because you know the answer will be to visit a physical therapist eight times per week at a cost of several hundred dollars? Just me?

I didn't bother, I just went directly to my PT.  ($350 for 6 visits, and I pay from my HSA.)  BTW I had another appointment today.  We have figured out that what is happening is that my right glute (specifically medius, but really the whole thing) is weak, and so my adductors/sartorius takes over and isn't up to the job, and so it hurts.

AceHarris

I’m telling you the answer to all injuries is WEAK GLUTES! If I fall and break my arm it’s probably because I have weak buns!

kidding aside, get better quick!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

If weak glutes is the problem I’m going to put about 160 lbs on top of mine and a soft cushion under them to avoid overuse injuries. I might help keep them ice down internally too.

Mcben: at several hundred dollars I’d rather do sprints to the fridge and curls as often as possible before admitting I need to see a professional.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

fb-guy

DIY? Google diagnosis and Youtube PT? Worst case, you strengthen something that is already strong.

Or, ice. I tried foam rolling and stair lift for my achilles to no great success and then tried ice 3-4 times a day, and it's a lot better. Lazy + ice = success.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Speaking of glutes and PT's...  My PT uses this test to check if the glute is firing correctly:

Patient lies face down.  The PT puts one hand on the glute and one hand on the hamstring, then has the patient raise that leg off the table (i.e. extend the hip).   The glute should contract before the hamstring.  The patient is not supposed to know what is being tested.

pepperjack

pie man

Out for the April race as well (I have a nice non streak going now).  VB in March was my only attempt, and I was more than 2 minutes over even a technical Q. I could have tried to pull a miracle at Santa Rosa but, I ran 11 miles around lake natoma last week for my longest real run in a month.  Although I did 8 and 9 on my two forest runs this week.

big news is I'm heading to Upper Lake next week, which was my original destination before the fire.  I am actually going to be in Upper Lake, as opposed to lake Pillsbury much further up.  But I am likely going to have a roommate there, which is going to be interesting.

Does CIM fill up?  I remember they used to hold spots for OTQ and BQ +5 folks (at max price) but doesn't look like they do that anymore?  I also have a decent chance to not be in the area in December because my contract will be up eventually.  In fact, it could be up October 1 but that doesn't seem likely given everything that is going on with the forest, the fire, and now the move.

Hope everybody is well.  Is the hurricane going to hit north of Virginia?  My house doesn't do well in those things.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Does CIM fill up?  I remember they used to hold spots for OTQ and BQ +5 folks (at max price) but doesn't look like they do that anymore?  I also have a decent chance to not be in the area in December because my contract will be up eventually.  In fact, it could be up October 1 but that doesn't seem likely given everything that is going on with the forest, the fire, and now the move.

Hope everybody is well.  Is the hurricane going to hit north of Virginia?  My house doesn't do well in those things.

Yes, CIM is full unless you qualify as a seeded runner or willing to pay a few hundred for a charity entry.  As for seeded, I don't know what the standard is for guys - for women I think it's a recent marathon time that age grades to well under 3:00.

As for Flo, it's going to come to our area on Monday-Tuesday, but by then shouldn't be any worse than the other weather we've been dealing with this fall.  I wouldn't worry unless your home is in downtown Ellicott City.

16 progressive this morning - first 4 at 9:06, next 6 at 7:46, last 6 at 6:59.  Also injury prevention/leg strengthwork, recovery swimming, and a single mile of pool-running when I jumped in to chat with a friend.

Off to see C-Tec and Chemlab tonight.  I doubt most of you have heard of them - PJ might know of them.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

oregonrw

Hey all -- I haven't been able to log in the last couple of days, not sure why. It seems resolved now.

RLK: Hope the weather improved in Seattle -- it's kind of rainy here so I'm guessing not so much.

Ilana and Ace: Every PT ever seems to blame weak glutes -- so I laughed at the "if I break my arm it's because of weak glutes" line. That's my issue always as well, thought I don't know how weak glutes leads to tight calves?

Pepperjack: Yes, CIM sells out, as do the hotels within 10 miles of the start or finish, which I didn't realize until too late.

Darkwave: Chemlab! I think I saw them play with GWAR a million years ago...they've been around forever. (I'm not a GWAR fan -- I don't remember why I was there, actually).  Have fun.

FB: Glad to hear the achilles is better!

I ran 8 yesterday easy, 6 easy this afternoon, will run longer tomorrow, maybe a long trail run.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sunday workout is something I need advice on

option 1: 1E+8M+1E+6M+1E

Option 2: 2E+6M+1E+6M+2E

honestly I don’t know the difference in doing two more miles with a shorter warm up vs. the even spit of marathon paces. This is one of the last times I’ll run M pace before race day. I’m actually considering doing it at goal pace (sorry hanson’s fanboy) to see how it goes. The other M workout is about 10 days before and it’s only a total of 4 miles with a 1 mile faster inbetween 2 M miles.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- not a ton of difference between those. if it were me i'd go with option A. more confidence with a few more miles at M pace, and 2 additional miles at that pace shouldn't stress you too much with a month out. also, wait, if M pace isn't marathon (goal) pace, what is it?

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

. also, wait, if M pace isn't marathon (goal) pace, what is it?

This - at this point in your training, your M pace should be your goal pace, unless you are training in conditions different from what you expect to face on race day (which you might be, due to altitude).

For me - I think the difference between the two lies in how quickly or poorly you bounce back, and also what your volume has been.  You're 3 weeks out, so you should be starting to come down from your peak workload.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

Kipchoge!!!!! Good grief!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Kipchoge!!!!! Good grief!

+1   amazing.