2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Strict WTF adherent

Keen - Sorry for your loss

Max - That's an interesting website. I hadn't seen before. Lots of potentially bad ideas in there. Luckily, most of them are not particularly accessible to me.

Barstow - People throw out all kids of dumb ideas every year. Obviously the BAA isn't listening to any of it. I mean, they aren't even listening to the good ideas.

Me - Looking into elastic-waist pants.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Brew - I ran Houston in 2010.  It's a flat course, but I felt overheated toward the end, though it wasn't actually HOT hot.  I think it was the humidity I was reacting to.  Also, much of the course is on concrete which "feels" hard.

Keen - condolences and hugs.

SMax - I enjoyed your DNF report.  There is really so much going on in ultras that never even comes into play in shorter races.  Also, I've noticed that stealth post effect from time to time as well.  It seems to happen frequently at the top of pages.

Happy belated birthday Matt!  Cool we share one. Also "More Than A Feeling" made me giggle.

McBen - sad injured fistbump.  I hope you get it figured out.

Hi everyone else.  Not much to say.  Still running very little and very slowly.  Started biking again (ditto and ditto) and ugh, out of biking shape, going up the Nature Trail to the college yesterday killed me.

pepperjack

pie man

Max - Well, I might go up that way and volunteer anyway.  (I was a little confused when you said Ann was on the waiting list as she's listed as the race director of the thing this weekend).

Office day so i'm going to try and run later.  Upper Lake is not so runner friendly, I might start using the treadmill here.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Brewing-Houston’s quite flat so a good chance for a fast time depending on the weather. Even in January, as Ilanarama noted, it can be humid. It was super humid and a high of 75 in 2017 but this year it was 35 at the start (one of the coldest days all year) and no humidity. This year was great for a fast time.

Blargh, missed the Boston cutoff by 10 seconds. Of course I really wish I could have run just a bit faster but I know I did run the race pretty well with almost even splits. I will spend a day or two feeing bummed before renewing my determination to run even faster in January.

5 Miles on the treadmill this morning. DW and I switch using the treadmill and running outside since one of us has to be here for the little ones.

PRs: 5k 19:29 (4/14); 10k 38:40 (12/17); HM 1:36:17 (2/14); FM 3:05:18 (1/18)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Bummer, Justin. That's a significant amount under on your BQ time to just barely miss getting in.

Botswana 2020 qualifying times... *insert low, drawn-out whistle*.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Speed Surplus

Wow, what a double kick in the junk from BAA! I know that functionally lowering the qualifying time by 5 minutes = a -4:52 cutoff, but in reality, people are going to be shooting for the lower times and there will STILL be a cutoff.

So I probably have to run... 3:05? to get in? 

Edit: I'm 40 so my BQ is going from 3:15 to 3:10 for 2020

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Right now I’m thinking I’ll need a sub-3 to be sure. Yikes

PRs: 5k 19:29 (4/14); 10k 38:40 (12/17); HM 1:36:17 (2/14); FM 3:05:18 (1/18)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm sorry for you guys.  My personal preference would have been to a) eliminate any course with a net drop of more than 3.5 m per km (Boston has a net drop of 3.23) as a qualifier, and b) to change the women's standards only by 5-10 minutes.

This change just put a lot of money in the pockets of the Revel race series.

12.5 for me today.  3 warm-up, and then 16x400 at 10K pace with 100m recoveries - averaged 93 seconds for the 400s, and 31 seconds for the float recoveries.  Later, with my coach's blessing, I jumped in to help a friend with the conclusion of her workout (she was doing the full 25x400 at her 10K pace, which is a bit faster than mine).  So I did four more 400s in 87, 88, 87, 85 - those were her repeats 20, 22, 24, and 25.  So I had 2:30 recovery after the first two 400s (sat out #s 21 and 23) and then 30 second recovery between 24 and 25.

It actually worked out - I had a nice tempo-like workout, and then added on some faster reps at the end with longer recovery.

3 cool-down.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

matt/justin/sc bummer about your times. If it makes you feel better at least you didn't find out 9 days before race day your "unofficially official" goal is now THE goal.

sc: I'd have a pint tonight (beer or ice cream) and blame it on the depression you're feeling about being old and not getting those 5 minutes you were promised. Kind of like social security and the age requirements going up. #oldpeopleproblems.

dwave I just read the number of runners dropped from 36,000 in 2014 to 32,000. With just over 7,000 runners not getting in it's understandable to change the requirements. What I DON'T understand is why they didn't do it sooner, or why the HAD to cut out about 11% of the runners. Seems like more people would be happier if they just let an additional 4,000 qualifiers in.

16x400 and you're pulling off sub 88s for the last ones?!?!?!   DAMN nice finish. Similar to ace and his track workout with the group all pushing.

Fawk it. 3:05 or bust. Pin it to win it. Checkers or wreckers. Lean is mean. Loose is fast and on the edge of out of control. You either first or you last. This is either going to be epic or it's going to be epic. I'll see you on the other side.

Oh yeah, there is apparently another person with my name doing the same race. I'm the one with the higher bib number.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

2014 was the special case when they increased the field.  I don't think it was ever their plan to keep it that size.  (it was 27,000 for a long while before that)

11:11 3,000 (recent)

fb-guy

Hey all -- lot's going on here. Some good, some less so.

Uffizi.

Brew -- good luck with 3:05. Be strong and stick with the pacer! One memory of Chicago, compared with smaller urban races, is just how many people are there. Plus, it's really a community event, so there is less emphasis on helping faster people get into corals. The walk to the start is crush of humanity without a lot of portapotties and the finish is also pretty crowded. But this isn't negative -- I really got a kick out of being part of such a big event and everyone is really great, from other runners to all the volunteers to the crowd (which is huge).

McB -- that sucks. I hope you end up getting some good advice, and that PT gets you through this. Good luck. Certain you will look good in Sansabelt.

RKL -- memories of Blazing Saddles.

Max -- would hate having a coach, so I couldn't imagine running with one. :-) And really sorry about your dream.

Justin -- are you the nice young guy who is fast? I'm the crabby old guy who is slow. UPDATE. Terrible on the near miss. B-town is becoming perilous.

Keen -- 3x80+. Stay healthy. I hope everyone can take solace in life that your grandmother had. My Mom is starting to lose her memory, which is really sad.

B-town cutoff. Wow. Too many dedicated people and not enough slots. I guess it's an arms race that's only going to get tougher.

Me -- I got in 56 miles last week, but slower. @8:44. Achilles is still a problem and I'm going to have to start with foam roller and stair lifts (plus ice) if I want to up miles and/or pace. Shooting for 60 this week and consciously letting pace get slower. Oh yeah. My 16@slow last week was at a higher HR than I wanted and harder than it should have been -- so I need to have a pretty good training cycle up to Dec to have a shot at running a decent race. Getting old. Blah.

Enjoy the autumn.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

AceHarris

Hey all! It's been a while since I've checked in. We've been traveling a little bit and life has just been a bit busier in general.

In regards to the BQ adjustment this year, sorry to you guys who put in a solid effort and great times, but didn't get in. That's frustrating, but shouldn't take away from the hard work you put in and the PRs achieved. As for me, I was hoping for sub-3 at Indy this year and now it looks like I'll have to if I want to the BQ. This reminds me of our past discussion of marathon goals and RLK (and possibly others) discussed BQs being kind of irrelevant if we're truly training hard and giving it our best. The qualification standards have kind of refocused my efforts to giving it all I have and we'll see where I end up after that.

Keen: Sorry for your loss. It's nice you were able to be around and spend time with your grandfather. Good work on the 80 mile weeks. That sounds exhausting. Keep up the solid work!

McBen: Maternity pants are pretty spacious.  I hope you get this injury figured out.

FB: Nice mileage! Take care of that achilles

Ilana: Glad you are getting some miles in! Would you say it's easier to get out of running shape or biking shape and which comes back quicker?

RLK: You continue some impressive training! How are you feeling?

DW: nice quarters!

Justin: Welcome back! Sorry about the BQ.

Chicago Runners (brew, arv, ??): How are you feeling? Taper madness present yet?

I've had some good runs and workouts lately and overall am feeling pretty good minus a little soreness from Tuesday's workout.

I had a VO2 workout. 5x1000 with full rest (3:00). Started at 3:40 and worked down. 3:40, 3:35, 3:27, 3:25, 3:15. It was a fun workout despite the rain. The first 4 reps we had 4 guys working together and the last rep 2 girls joined us, one who has her OTQ. 3:15 was pretty much all I had. The one with the OTQ ran 3:13 and had already done 8 reps around 3:20 pace.

Had a hill run this morning and it was 60 degrees!!!! First time I've ran with a shirt on in a long time.

I have a long run this weekend, 21 with a 6 mile pickup and am racing a 15k the next weekend.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Strict WTF adherent

Barstow - It's about time they changed the standards, even if they are still jacked. But the timing sucks. Should have been for 2021.

If I ran the BAA:

-There would be an A standard, sub-3:00 or whatever, that guarantees entry (obviously, that favors young dudes who don't have the disposable income of the BAA's favored demographic.)

-I'd raise the entry fee and just hand the money to the towns on the course instead of giving them bibs to sell.

-I'd give fewer bibs to corporate sponsors, which let many of their entries go unused.

-Elite start for Rossi.

FB - calf raises always fix my achilles issues.

Brew, Arv - I'm weather stalking on your behalf. Knowing how hot Chicago has been some years, now may be the time to lock in.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hey all! It's been a while since I've checked in. We've been traveling a little bit and life has just been a bit busier in general.

In regards to the BQ adjustment this year, sorry to you guys who put in a solid effort and great times, but didn't get in. That's frustrating, but shouldn't take away from the hard work you put in and the PRs achieved. As for me, I was hoping for sub-3 at Indy this year and now it looks like I'll have to if I want to the BQ. This reminds me of our past discussion of marathon goals and RLK (and possibly others) discussed BQs being kind of irrelevant if we're truly training hard and giving it our best. The qualification standards have kind of refocused my efforts to giving it all I have and we'll see where I end up after that.

Chicago Runners (brew, arv, ??): How are you feeling? Taper madness present yet?

I've had some good runs and workouts lately and overall am feeling pretty good minus a little soreness from Tuesday's workout.

I had a VO2 workout. 5x1000 with full rest (3:00). Started at 3:40 and worked down. 3:40, 3:35, 3:27, 3:25, 3:15. It was a fun workout despite the rain. The first 4 reps we had 4 guys working together and the last rep 2 girls joined us, one who has her OTQ. 3:15 was pretty much all I had. The one with the OTQ ran 3:13 and had already done 8 reps around 3:20 pace.

Had a hill run this morning and it was 60 degrees!!!! First time I've ran with a shirt on in a long time.

I have a long run this weekend, 21 with a 6 mile pickup and am racing a 15k the next weekend.

To touch on the "what does it mean to BQ" discussion again I'd say it now means more TO ME since I feel like the new standards SHOULD make running a BQ mean you are running Boston. I'm in this awkward moment where running 3:05:00 would be a massive PR and just BARELY be a BQ, but I could tell people I "BQ'd under the current standards" if I go sub 3:10. It honestly didn't phase me TOO MUCH finding out the times adjusted. Heck I'm almost glad times were adjusted unless it means I have to break 3 to get in. I'd rather run a sub 3 marathon than the Boston marathon. Downhill, uphill or flat. So much for getting more time for getting older. Who knows what happens in 4 or 5 years.

If by taper madness you mean "how often are you checking the weather for Chicago" then it's going well. I fully understand max once telling me "you check you watch to see how long it has been. You check again and think it's been 10 minutes and it has been 2."

As for training and taper, I think it has gone well for the last month. As usual I've had great workouts and not so great workouts. I don't feel unprepared for Chicago in that I did as much as I could with what I had (fires, heat, apathy, etc) and I don't feel beat up at this point. I missed a lot of miles due to various things including drinking too much gatorade and gels, but overall the last few workouts have been a good mental boost. Hopefully nutrition goes well on race day and I execute a dream race like I said after CIM 2016 (BQ in Chicago after time entry to Chicago...the road to 4/20/20). I'd LOVE a 3:05:00 (or faster at this point) and I feel half ready for race day. The other half is mental, travel, and the weather. Oh, and a Strava title with race report.

McBen Lock...in? You mean accept 50-60F and 75% humidity with 10 mph winds in the afternoon and 50% chance of rain?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Arvind Balaraman

Barstow - It's about time they changed the standards, even if they are still jacked. But the timing sucks. Should have been for 2021.

If I ran the BAA:

-There would be an A standard, sub-3:00 or whatever, that guarantees entry (obviously, that favors young dudes who don't have the disposable income of the BAA's favored demographic.)

-I'd raise the entry fee and just hand the money to the towns on the course instead of giving them bibs to sell.

-I'd give fewer bibs to corporate sponsors, which let many of their entries go unused.

-Elite start for Rossi.

FB - calf raises always fix my achilles issues.

Brew, Arv - I'm weather stalking on your behalf. Knowing how hot Chicago has been some years, now may be the time to lock in.

Tapering feels good, just one more. How things can change in one day. After being successfully rejected by BAA (with BQ-3), I was hoping to run 3:20-3:18 that would give me a 5-7 min cushion for 2020. Now with the new qualifying standards, 3:20 will make me barely qualify and 3:18 will give me BQ-2 

Weather looks wonderful for chicago, with slight rain and in the 50s. Hope it stays like this. Having trained in the humid hot NC summer, this should be a bliss.