2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rovatti - Progress and no problems sounds like a great week to me.

Ace - Good week. 15k's are fun- one of my favorite distances, actually.

OMR - Bleh on the sinus infection! I hate those, and seem to get them a couple times a year myself.

Pretty good, though tiring, week from me. Super-early day Saturday, and installed a new dishwasher Sunday (the old one died months ago). SO nice to not be hand-washing everything anymore!
    I'm planning on a bit of a down week in terms of mileage. With a HM this Saturday I'm wanting to front-load mileage and have a bit of a mini-taper Thursday and Friday. Really looking forward to this race, and to the celebratory bratwurst afterward.

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Sep 24, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 30, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
    Mon 16.3 7:57 Daniels 2T + 4x 2 min I + 6x 200m R 141 (72%) strava
    Tue 10.1 8:26 The usual 3 deer in the usual place. None of the usual deer strides. 133 (68%) strava
    Wed 10.6 8:09 A few raindrops (I hope that was rain) and the band announcing my return from yet another successful easy run 135 (69%) strava
    Thu 16.5 7:37 Daniels 3x 2T 147 (75%) strava
    Fri 8.1 7:57 Ten Junk Miles - Sundays with Sam #1 - Innsbruck 137 (70%) strava
    Sat 20.6 8:23 Will run for waffles! Gotta make breakfast before the soccer game. 137 (70%) strava
      82.2 8:04      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

pj North Face has plenty of (half) bad ideas Sunday November 17 in California. rlk was even featured in a Sage Canaday video one year. IF you're around in the Summer Time the Tahoe Rim Trail has a few ultras in July worth doing.

ace auto pause not enabled? I use it for exactly what you're talking about (reviewing data) and it seems to be pretty good with turning off/on without much delay.

omr NeRP sounds like he is sick every single time I hear him cough. Its really awesome when he does it right in my face too. Good you're getting out and staying (too) busy at work. Recovery must be going well.

keen good job on the early run, fixing the dishwasher, and front loading the week. No fair taking away the focus on me this weekend. Sub 85?

Chicago weather sucks. It's like Walmsley said....every time I check it it gets a little worse. I might as well embrace 40-60% chance of rain, 60F start temp and 70%+ humidity. At least I breath better with humidity.

About 200 miles for October. Marathon training is done. 8 weeks of sobriety is done (I hear there is beer at the end. finisher medal?). Travel from the airport to the hotel aren't finalized, nor is getting to the Expo (3.4 miles away) but the GOAL is to get there Friday evening. Maybe I'll buy some Vaporflys while I'm there.

Gear is 80% picked. I might take the Vazee Pace "all weather" shoes (no longer available on their website) to try and keep rain out of my feet. The second shoe will be the Brooks Launch 4 I've been training in. I decided against buying new shoes a week or two before the race.

I plan to get some Gatorade gels to start the race with at the Expo. I haven't found a store selling them locally and Amazon can't get them to me until after Sunday. Other than that I think I got this.

Wednesday workout went well. It felt easier to keep M pace as well as switch from M to T pace. Almost enough to let me know I have another gear in the bag towards the end of the race. Much shorter workout than previously run (also a nice benefit of taper week) and I'm trying to get as much HEAT training as I can in case there is some kind of change in the weather. Elevation + heat should do the trick. At this point running by feel is a little more comfortable as well as knowing the heart rate is where it should be for M pace. I'll be taking a pace band with me and just watching total time and heart rate (possibly on one screen) since there really isn't much else I need/can track for Sunday.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description Link
      Mon 4.1 9:04 That time we entered Taper Town strava
      Tue 7.8 8:34 That time they have to have Darude in this town. strava
      Wed 10.0 7:39 That time green is lean. strava
      Thu 6.6 8:51 That time I'm runnin down the road tryin to loosen my load. strava
      Fri 5.9 8:56 That time you must not know me Sean. strava
      Sat 6.5 8:44 That time it was a threepete strava
      Sun 10.5 8:35 That time I’m trying to influence race weather. strava
        51.4 8:32    

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Strict WTF adherent

(I hear there is beer at the end. finisher medal?).

They'll hand you a free beer at the finish, right after medal distribution. Nobody will complain if you take two. But they'll kick you out if you try to loiter (not that I'd know anything about that).

They had Goose Island 312 the year I ran. But the brewery is making something special this year, so that might be there instead.

A decent number of people hand out beer on course too ... just in case you're having a bad day, or are actively trying to have a bad day.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Good taper week. Glad things are feeling where they should with regards to pace/HR/running by feel. Heat and elevation should certainly have helped. Got your anti-blister stuff for possible rain? Trail toes? 2Toms?

My piddly little (fewer than 100 participant) HM shouldn't take any spotlight from Chicago. I think my unofficial, kinda/sorta starting pace will be for an 86.5 min HM. The hills will make this interesting. The first ~5k is pretty flat, plenty of hills until mile ~11 (10-11 is a slight/gradual uphill IIRC), then mostly downhill until a cruelly steep hill that is maybe 1/4 mile and ends with about that much of the race to go. I'll probably try to keep pace for the first miles, hold effort as best I can on the hills, then try cashing in on that final downhill for all it's worth and see what that gets me.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

AceHarris

Brew: I haven't looked to in to the autopause feature, I'll check it out. Best of luck this week. Do you have a bib number you want to share with us?

Keen: does that race offer live tracking? 

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Arvind Balaraman

Awesome Week BR. You are ready to rock Chicago

pj North Face has plenty of (half) bad ideas Sunday November 17 in California. rlk was even featured in a Sage Canaday video one year. IF you're around in the Summer Time the Tahoe Rim Trail has a few ultras in July worth doing.

ace auto pause not enabled? I use it for exactly what you're talking about (reviewing data) and it seems to be pretty good with turning off/on without much delay.

omr NeRP sounds like he is sick every single time I hear him cough. Its really awesome when he does it right in my face too. Good you're getting out and staying (too) busy at work. Recovery must be going well.

keen good job on the early run, fixing the dishwasher, and front loading the week. No fair taking away the focus on me this weekend. Sub 85?

Chicago weather sucks. It's like Walmsley said....every time I check it it gets a little worse. I might as well embrace 40-60% chance of rain, 60F start temp and 70%+ humidity. At least I breath better with humidity.

About 200 miles for October. Marathon training is done. 8 weeks of sobriety is done (I hear there is beer at the end. finisher medal?). Travel from the airport to the hotel aren't finalized, nor is getting to the Expo (3.4 miles away) but the GOAL is to get there Friday evening. Maybe I'll buy some Vaporflys while I'm there.

Gear is 80% picked. I might take the Vazee Pace "all weather" shoes (no longer available on their website) to try and keep rain out of my feet. The second shoe will be the Brooks Launch 4 I've been training in. I decided against buying new shoes a week or two before the race.

I plan to get some Gatorade gels to start the race with at the Expo. I haven't found a store selling them locally and Amazon can't get them to me until after Sunday. Other than that I think I got this.

Wednesday workout went well. It felt easier to keep M pace as well as switch from M to T pace. Almost enough to let me know I have another gear in the bag towards the end of the race. Much shorter workout than previously run (also a nice benefit of taper week) and I'm trying to get as much HEAT training as I can in case there is some kind of change in the weather. Elevation + heat should do the trick. At this point running by feel is a little more comfortable as well as knowing the heart rate is where it should be for M pace. I'll be taking a pace band with me and just watching total time and heart rate (possibly on one screen) since there really isn't much else I need/can track for Sunday.

Weekly Summary

Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Mon 4.1 9:04 That time we entered Taper Town strava
              Tue 7.8 8:34 That time they have to have Darude in this town. strava
              Wed 10.0 7:39 That time green is lean. strava
              Thu 6.6 8:51 That time I'm runnin down the road tryin to loosen my load. strava
              Fri 5.9 8:56 That time you must not know me Sean. strava
              Sat 6.5 8:44 That time it was a threepete strava
              Sun 10.5 8:35 That time I’m trying to influence race weather. strava
              rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- honestly, i think a little bit of rain (maybe towards teh end) wouldnt be a bad thing on a more-humid-than-ideal. also 60F is great! it's not kichoge-in-Monza weather, but it's great.

you can take CTA (subway) from O'Hare or Midway right to downtown. I forget where you said you're staying, butyou can connect to anywhere from the loop. Also I recall taking a bus to the expo (or, to a few blocks away). Google maps + ventra card are your friends!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

mattw4jc

It looks like Brew is in full taper mentality.

OMR - OMG - hope you're feeling better

Keen - a down week will still be 60+ I presume?

Ace - I believe there is a way to merge Garmin activities. I did it once or twice a long time ago. Maybe this website?

I'm still not training for anything. But I hit 50 miles for the first time since early June. Everything was easy except for 10 x 100m strides one morning. It's about 2 miles to a middle school track from my house. For any interval type work I like to run there, do some laps, and run home.

Yesterday a friend was running a 15k race but wanted 18 miles total. I agreed to meet him early and preview the course before the race. I've done this before for this same race when marathon training. It makes for a good day's workout. The race would have been fun, but was going too late for my schedule.

Week in Review
                  M - 3 easy
                  T - 7 w/ strides
                  W - 8 easy/moderate
                  T - 5 easy
                  F - 7 easy/moderate
                  S - 10 easy
                  S - 10 easy (race course preview)
                  Total = 51

runethechamp

Blaah, finally done with some less than optimal work travel and trying to catch up.

Oregon - The Amsterdam course is very flat, with lots of potential for a fast race. Just hoping it won't be too windy. Not even sure what I should aim for at the moment, but it would either be to stick with the 3:20 group for as long as I can and hopefully be able to speed up a hair at the end to get some cushion on my new BQ time, or try to find a 3:15 group to hang with (no pacer for that group).

DW - Thanks for the advice on the race. I didn't race it (good idea it turns out), but still managed to be too busy the week of the race so I missed my mid-week workout. Turns out the 2E+3T+8E+2T+2E workout on the day of the race was a lot harder in real life than on paper. The last 2 miles at threshold pace were really hard (and slow).

Good luck to Brew and Arvind in Chicago. Looks like you are both pretty well prepared.

I finally had a decent week again last week, although I will not recommend anyone try run intervals in the sun after two days of late nights at a conference. My m-pace workout yesterday wasn't my best day of training, and with 14 miles m-pace on the program (8+6, I did 10+4 because I wanted to do 10 to compare to the workout a buddy of mine had) I knew it would be a hard workout regardless. If anyone remembers back to March, I had an 11-mile m-pace workout on my program 2.5 weeks out from my race. That workout sucked, and I cut it short after 10 miles as I was completely gassed. Based on my HR, yesterday was very similar, but the big difference was that after the one mile at easy pace the program called for, I could bang out 4 more miles at m-pace. Those last 4 miles were not really controlled in any way, but my legs could do them. There is no way I could have done that back in March. Now I'm hoping my legs will be ready for that pace in 3 weeks with no travel (apart from to the race) and taper.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Link
                    Tue 4.0 9:41 0:38 Morning Run 126 (66%) strava
                    Wed 8.4 8:58 1:15 Slow intervals 141 (73%) strava
                    Thu 4.2 9:38 0:40 Evening Run 121 (63%) strava
                    Fri 6.6 8:30 0:56 Lunch Run 133 (69%) strava
                    Sat 9.5 8:49 1:23 320+ foot home run 136 (71%) strava
                    Sun 18.0 7:56 2:22 E-M-E-M-E 154 (80%) strava
                      50.7 8:39 7:18      

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

pepperjack

pie man

North face would pretty much be the opposite of a fat ass, wouldn’t it?  I always kinda looked down on the DC one (very popular with the NP crowd).  I guess the one out here is more legit, though.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Echoing others in noting that it's great to see Rovatti and FB-Guy coming back.

Ace - solid MP workout.

McBen - even if the week wasn't what you wanted, the write up was superb.

OMR - sorry about the ick.  Hopefully it's gone soon.

CK - we've been having appliance issues also (our fridge died last Wednesday).  It sucks.  Very impressive mileage.

I am amused that RLK is PJ's source for bad ideas Smile

Matt - when you preview the course, do you run it and then report back to your friend?  I'm assuming he/she isn't running 15K as a warm-up.  (wait a minute - just noted the part about friend wanting 18 for the day).

Rune - welcome back!  10+4 at MP sounds very challenging.  My coach will not allow us to do more than 10 MP in one workout.

Arvind and Brewing - interested to see what you both do in Chicago - rooting for you!

As for Chicago logistics - I just took the L everywhere.  I flew into Midway and took the L to near the expo, grabbed my stuff, then back on the L to get to the Loop and my hotel.  

Regarding the forecast - if it's going to be humid, I would prefer it just rain.  And I don't think a light rain will harm your race at all.

One big caution to both of you for Chicago - they are NOT joking with the corral closing times.  The corrals close ON THE DOT.  Be just one second late, and they'll bar you from your corral, and you'll have to start at the very back of your wave.  DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH THIS - GET IN YOUR CORRAL EARLY.

My week:  64 miles and 19 "miles" pool-running.
                        M: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" pool-running.
                        T: 12 miles, including 6 hill sprints (60-70 seconds uphill; 2:30 recovery).  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

W: 7 miles very easy to gym (9:00), upper body weights/core+DIY yoga, and then 3.5 very easy home (8:38) plus drills+strides

Th: 12.5 miles, including 16x400 at 1:33 with 100m float (31 seconds for each 100) recovery.  After some rest, did a few more 400s at 87, 88, 87, 85 with plenty of recovery inserted.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

F: 10.5 "miles" pool-running and yoga.
                        Sa: 8 miles very easy to gym (9:05), drills/strides, upper body weights/core, and then 4 miles very easy (8:50)
                        Su: 17 miles, including a marathon pace workout of 4,3,2,1 miles with 1 mile recovery in between each.  Splits were:

4 miles in 27:24 (6:51 pace)

3 miles in 20:19 (6:46 pace)

2 miles in 13:50 (6:55 pace) (note that my Garmin went crazy here while I was underneath an underpass - I think this pace is wrong).
                        1 mile in 6:47.

Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mattw4jc

DW - nice pace workout!

Matt - when you preview the course, do you run it and then report back to your friend?  I'm assuming he/she isn't running 15K as a warm-up.  (wait a minute - just noted the part about friend wanting 18 for the day).

Yes, he ran the course as a warm-up. He did cut it about a mile short though because he had to go back and pick up his bib. Then changed shoes and warmed up a little more. He ran a 1:03 for about a 6:43 pace. Looking good for going 3:05-:10 I think.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave- "I am amused that RLK is PJ's source for bad ideas Smile"
                            lol. I can supply bad ideas, I just (probably) won't join in!

PJ- yeah there is a lot of NP douchebaggery at TNF, but they do the relay (~10km x 4) since they can't handle longer distances Wink 50k and 50mi are devoid of them. The last 2mi are annoying when hobbyjoggers are trying to outsprint you and you've been running for 5 hours, but so it goes

ETA: oh wait, I didn't mention TNF, didn't think I had. TRT = Tahoe Rim Trail.  TNF is not a great idea, but it's not a *bad* idea.
                            Headlands 100, Miwok 100k, etc are also stupid.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

runethechamp

It's still more than two weeks out but I just got my bib # from Amsterdam. 2878, pink start corral.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

pepperjack

pie man

Miwok is definitely on the radar.  We even have Lake Miwoks up here, in addition to our Yuki and Pomo.  Actually I just joined the FB group and someone was posting about a pacer for a different bad idea next month.  And that's the solution that I completely forgot about--joining the community and getting some miles in.  And it would be for the most part FREE!

11:11 3,000 (recent)