2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

OMR

Dwave:  Not surprised that you would run 1:25 when you're not feeling particularly fresh.  ;-)  Congrats, and enjoy the well-earned taper!

Rune:  Nice PR for you as well, congrats!

Pesto

Wow, huge PRs this weekend! Huge congrats to both rune and ace! Now rest up and enjoy! Glad you decided to run in the end, ace.

and congrats DkW on a fantastic HM time!

fb - 2 weeks for you too eh! We're almost there. How are you feeling?

And ha! My bad regarding the "low" HR, sorry about that.

Hi everyone else! Last LR for me yesterday (16 miles or so), now just taking it easy.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

mattw4jc

DW - nice job on the half! Definitely a good confidence boost for Booston. Good that the hill was late in the race, but you recovered for the fast final miles. Three weeks from today!

All my half PRs have been during marathon training. Probably because I pretty much only run halfs as tune-ups during training though.

And this cracked me up: "Chipotle's been skimping on the portion sizes recently, meaning that I have to order three bowls to get what used to be included in two.  I did a fairly good job of pretending like I was trying to remember other people's orders, and also made a show of counting out three forks, so I think my secret was safe until I blogged about it."

I hope you used a separate fork for each bowl.

Running Problem

Problem Child

ace: way to knock it out of the park. I’ll skip the Strava stalk and wait for the story.

Rune: congratulations.

My week: hit 40 miles with 2 10s this week. Watched my mother in law finish Lavaman (she had a flat and was stuck for 20 minutes) and I think the highlight was running from when I saw her on the bike to see her on the run. I didn’t know what her tri suit looked like so it was hard to identify her, and she was wearing a hat I didn’t know about. When I THOUGHT I saw her starting the run I figured it was too early. Next thing I know she is passing me telling me ‘see ya.’ She told me later she couldn’t believe it was me and even my sister in law wondered if I’d get to the run start in time. No pictures but I had to get the extra Strava miles. She finished around 4 hours total with 30 minutes of non-moving time on her bike computer. First Olympic distance. She is my hero.

NeRP is sick. First sickness. SIL (L&D nurse) mentioned whooping cough. DW wasn’t exactly happy about that. Contacted a friend who previously lived here about hospitals. Dad is going to dad. At least mom didn’t hit the panic button and scream until we were at the ER.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Speed Surplus

Whoa, congrats, Ace! Can't wait for more details. Is that a BQ for you?

Well done, Rune as well. Having to stop for #2 when I'm gunning for a fast time in a marathon is one of my fears. Luckily my body won't allow that to happen - there's no way I'll make it to the start line with anything left inside. (The downside is that I may miss the start line waiting for a bathroom).

Very nice HM, DW. Always nice to be surprisingly fast instead of surprisingly slow.

My week:

I forgot my charging cable and was out of town, so I wasn't able to upload to Strava until Sunday, and I ended up miscalculating slightly to wind up just short of 50, but I'll round up.

Did another 5 mile "marathon pace" test on Tuesday. You can see that I went a bit too fast (target was 7:15), especially with the first mile being 6:55, but the overall HR and effort were encouraging, especially given that I was running on flat land and not the 2% downhill that my marathon will be Big grin

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
            Mon 5.1 8:11 Nice and easy 139 (76%) 153 strava
            Tue 1.5 7:55 WU 122 (67%) 0 strava
            Tue 5.0 7:07 5 mile marathon pace HR/pacing test 152 (84%) 52 strava
            Tue 1.4 10:15 CD 138 (76%) 297 strava
            Wed 5.0 8:35 Easy, but maybe not easy enough? 143 (79%) 124 strava
            Thu 5.7 8:41 First treadmill of the week 139 (76%) 0 strava
            Fri 6.0 8:56 Another Treadmill 141 (77%) 0 strava
            Sat 5.1 8:45 More POS treadmill 139 (76%) 0 strava
            Sun 14.6 8:14 Finally got outside for a long one 143 (79%) 354 strava
              49.4 8:24     980

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Katia77

Lots of good racing that deserve their own shout outs -

DW - awesome job and that's gotta be a confidence boost!!

Ace - 24 min PR is HUGE!! Congrats!!

Rune - PR is always good - congrats!

Pesto - hope you keep enjoying the taper.

Oregon - awesome that you get to run by them!

Ilana - it snowed yesterday here.. come take our snow? Maybe you already did..

Brew - first illness is scary.  DS had croup at 4 months, and DH was watching videos of whooping cough once by the time I came back from a 3 mile run...

My week:

M: 5.8@8:49

T: 8.8@7:33 (5 at HMP)

W: 5.3@ 9:23 AM, 2.7@8:39PM

Th: off

F: 2.8@8:30

Sat: 20@8:09

Sun: 3.8@8:33

Total: 48.5

I was pretty spent by the end of last week, but a lot was just life with the other things. I was on my own with my son from Thursday to Saturday at 2pm, and then I went out for my 20 miler to avoid snow.. I ran in 38 degree rain instead, which was not super awesome, especially when you're already running from 3-6pm.  I did run laps and was glad I could stop at home and change my shirt and put gloves on.

So, with that.. thoughts on how to run Botswana, since I thought there was NO WAY I'd get to this point and feel as good as I do.  Things to consider.

• last May, I ran a 3:18 and change off of 12 weeks of 40 mpw (capped, there, started there, etc), and a 1:38 half about 4-6 weeks out, and was 11 months post-partum. I say that only bc I literally took 2 years off racing/running more than 20 miles a week until 2 months post-partum, so in some ways it was building from scratch again.
              • This cycle my half, 5 weeks out, was a 1:34:45 - on an oddly similarly short course, but the 1:38 was uphill for the first 4 miles, affecting a lot.  Additionally, the 1:38 half I'd classify as "raced" while the 1:34 I can't really say the same about.
              • My 20 miler before Ogden was run at 8:36, and that was impressive to me at the time, since ALL of my runs before CIM (5 months PP) were well over 9:00 min miles. This 20 miler was run at 8:09, and I felt good after. 
              • While I cut way back after Ogden, I only took 3 weeks off and then gradually increased, BUT, I never ran more than 20 mpw until mid-January
              • I'm probably 5 lbs lighter than last May (but oddly. about the same as CIM 2016- exclusive breastfeeding made me skinny). I also gave up alcohol for Lent this year, and normally I'm a daily drinker. 
              • I capped this cycle at 48.5 - I've never done that kind of mileage, except for maybe once in 2013 after a broken-up cycle 
              • Ogden last May was a downhill course, and I run well on downhill courses.  Botswana is not.
              • Not to get personal, but I *think* I'm done racing after this one for a while since I'm ready to try to get pregnant again, which will put me out of racing for who knows how long (1.5 years best case?, I don't think I'd repeat a 5 month PP marathon). I say this ONLY because it may influence how much I'm willing to risk. 

If there's anything else that may be helpful, I'd be happy to answer.  I also know it's largely weather dependent and if it's 95 degrees like 2012, the last time I did it, I will probably just get drunk on the course. My non-downhill course PR is 3:29 back in 2013 at NYCM, where I blew up pretty badly after a cycle that I had to take a 3 week break for due to a medical procedure. I may just shoot for a non downhill course PR, bc they do seem to be a bit different for me.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

DkW & Rune ~ Well done. Congrats.

Katia ~ You sound like you are in PR shape. You obviously handled downhill well, how do you do w/ rollers?

My week:

M) 7.5

Tu) 7.5

W) 11.5 w/ 50 min progression (MP+5% to 10K) downhill

Th) 7.5

F) am: 7.5 + pm: 4.5 w/ strides

Sa) 12 w/ 25 min tempo/fartlek and strides

Su) 14.5 hilly

Total: 72.5

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Oregon - Check your email.

Brew - My plan does include each specific step - length of warm-up, number & pace of workout segments, recoveries, cool-downs.
                  My everyday loop is largely rolling hills - I've been seeing local college XC teams doing LRs on them starting from the HS close to my house. From what I can see both of the races I'm considering are much flatter than what I usually run on.
                  How was Hawai'i? Bummer about NeRP being sick - hopefully he recovers soon.

PJ - Congrats on your spur-of-the-moment decision.

Dad - Nice mileage!

Ace - Awesome PR!! And that last mile - whoa.

DWave - Saw the race on Strava - Great job!

SClever - Good week!

Katia - Solid week, and it seems like you're in PR shape. No real input from me, though, sorry.

My biggest week of the year so far. Spring is definitely here, with temps at 60F+ (15C+) early in the mornings. At the very least it's starting to build a touch of acclimation, but worries me a bit for my (first) 10k in a couple weeks since it's at 2pm. I really enjoyed my little run with DD1 yesterday - I'm hoping she'll get back out there with me a few days a week. Hopefully we'll run a mile or even a 5k by the end of summer.

Monday, Mar 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                  Mon 12.3 7:12 Daniels' T, 2x 3 mi + Strydes 154 (79%) strava
                  Tue 10.3 7:52 1 hawk and a dozen head of cattle out of their pasture 144 (73%) strava
                  Wed 10.1 8:02 7 hawks, 2 meadowlarks, and 1 crop duster. 144 (73%) strava
                  Thu 11.1 7:37 Daniels' R, 8x 400m, 6x 200m 148 (76%) strava
                  Fri 10.1 8:07 7 deer (no strides), 1 owl, 3 coyotes, and 1 very excited mockingbird. 142 (72%) strava
                  Sat 14.2 7:50 Nothing except cows (boring) & headwinds (bleh) 153 (78%) strava
                  Sun 1.5 13:11 Hitting the dirt roads with DD1. 96 (49%) strava
                    69.6 7:52

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

AceHarris

Race Report link here, https://tnrun.blogspot.com/

This really may be the most sore my body has ever been after a race. I look pretty silly trying to go up and down our stairs.

Also, I know it's pointless, but out of curiosity I added up my GAP paces from strava and that gives me a 3:02:20ish time. So, whatever that means.

SC: Not a BQ for me. I'm still in the sub 3:05 for a couple years. I knew a BQ would be tough on this course as it's pretty hilly, particularly a true BQ.

CK: I was honestly surprised at that last mile. It's so hard to tell what's left in you at that point in a marathon. I was fearful to pick up the pace in those late miles, but it looks like I probably could've survived a pickup in the last 3-4 miles. Your training is looking solid these days. Feeling good? When are you racing again?

DkW: nice HM! Looking good for that race in the Northeast.

Rune: nice work on your marathon!! PR!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Ilana: 60 and sunny makes it easy to overheat for sure. That's what happened to me in NOLA. Sorry that the weather hasn't been great for skiing. I know how much you enjoy that.

pepper: Oh, cool that you are running Cherry Blossom! I am sad to miss it this year because of the big B race.

Dad4J: Wednesday was not a fun day to run. Luckily the road outside of my neighborhood is a snow emergency route so it was completely plowed like 10 times over. That's a great idea on a downhill run - hard to do that on land without someone dropping you off or picking you up.

Commander: I love that you are looking at Ultras. I love the Sizzlin Sasquatch just because of the name.

oregonrw: Weird that the Garmin is temperature sensitive. And below 35 isn't THAT cold either. Garmins are so finicky! I have the 220 and it works really well. I feel like as they update these things with all sorts of fancy features, they skimp on the basics. Anyway, cool about Shalane and Amy! My coach lives there too, works for Adidas.

Brewing: Sorry that the humidity impacted your workout. The important thing is that you got the effort in! And nice job on hitting 40. Sorry about the sick baby!

Runethechamp: WOW-  a 15 minute PR is pretty much unheard of. Sucky about the long course and the bathroom break, but to feel good and PR in spite of that is amazing. Amsterdam will be a cool race.

fb-guy: It's odd that an RNR event is not a certified course. That would be the least I would expect at such a high price tag.

matt: Great comeback!

Pesto: Hello there!

Darkwave: I read your blog. Great recap (felt like I was there with you) and all excellent points made. Maybe I should check out that race next year. You are so ready for the big B. I don't think I realized that you had never run it before. I thought you had! This will be exciting for you!

Ace: Congratulations. Off to read the race report now!

SomethingClever: Great week for you. Sorry about being stuck on the mill!

Katia: Outstanding week. I will reply to your question in a bit.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

oregonrw

Ace: Wow, great race! I can't believe you went from "I don't know if I can run" to such a huge PR -- enjoy the recovery, you've earned it!

Rune: Very nice PR.

Darkwave:  Nice half marathon! That's got to be a good confidence building. I don't think the Newton hills are that bad -- it's just that they're late in the race and if you didn't run the downhills well they're going to hurt.  For me the hardest hill is the one going up towards the Citgo sign.

Pesto: Enjoy the taper!

Brewing: That's awesome about your MIL.  Hope NeRP is doing better -- baby croup can be scary.

Clever: Nice week!

Katia: Speedy 20.  Seems like you're in PR shape, but like you said, will depend on the weather.

Dad: Great week -- when's your next race?

Commander: Thank you! How old is DD?

My week was ok, a little bit of speed, a lot of easy running, an 11 mile longer run, total of 38 for the week.  Starting to build up from here. I'm trying to wrap up some things at work today since I'll be the out the rest of the week and looking forward to the break.

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

My week is below. New weekly mileage PR for me and everything continues to feel really good.  For the long run, my coach told me to start at a pace of 8:20 and progress down to 7:40 at the end, and to use a hilly course. I did all of those things and the run went well. Lots of crazy wind, rain, cold, snow, sleet to battle throughout the week! Thinking of shooting for a 3:16 if the weather in Notsob is good.

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Mar 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Link
                          Mon 8.7 8:35 Morning Run strava
                          Tue 11.7 7:42 Started at 4:40am to avoid sleet; was still soaked with rain. strava
                          Wed 8.8 8:28 Back and forth on 2 miles of plowed road. strava
                          Thu 2.2 8:34 Afternoon Run strava
                          Thu 7.5 7:06 5 x 1600m, 3 x 200m strava
                          Thu 2.3 8:53 Cool down strava
                          Fri 8.6 8:44 Morning Run strava
                          Sat 22.0 7:58 Very long run strava
                          Sun 5.6 8:54 77 miles for the week - new PR! strava
                            77.4 8:11    

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - Thanks. I am feeling really good about my training - to the point that I think (relative to the HM distance) I'm in the best shape of my life. My next race is a 10k on 4/8, with my goal HM on 4/29. I'm a touch worried about the 10k just because it starts in the heat of the day.

Oregon - DD1 turned 7 at the beginning of February.

E11 - Uh-oh, you said the "B" word. Surely you're DOOMed now. Nice weekly mileage PR, though. Didn't you set one of those just a few weeks ago?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

E11 - Uh-oh, you said the "B" word. Surely you're DOOMed now. Nice weekly mileage PR, though. Didn't you set one of those just a few weeks ago?

Crap! I just edited it. And I have set three weekly mileage PRs this cycle. 

mattw4jc

Ace - enjoyed the race report. Good job on that course. You are very close to sub-3 and a sure thing BQ! Knoxville sounds similar to the Charlotte course (my local 'thon), maybe even a couple hundred more feet of elevation.

A friend of mine was the 3:10 pacer. Looks like he faded to a 3:20 though, so not sure how that works.

I had another friend there who was about an hour ten minutes behind you. His second I think.