2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

runethechamp

RLK - Fast mile!

Ace - I'm still impressed you managed to run a marathon, and a really good one, on that hip! Now make sure you get a good recovery.

Darkwave - Nice mileage again! With that type of mileage, is the "pool running" now just done for recovery? It seems like you wouldn't have to do it since you can log 50-60 miles a week.

Dad, CK,, Elizabeth - Great weeks. Still can't comprehend that kind of mileage myself.

SC - Hope you get that knee figured out!

fb - Cool table! Seems to be a good correlation between miles and finishing times.

Hi to whomever else I missed!

I'm slowly getting back into things again. 4 miles easy on Saturday, 6 on Sunday, 4 today. Ankles were very sore after Saturday, better now, and I bet this is some residual effect after my race.

I'm looking way ahead and have laid out my rough training plan for Amsterdam, which was 30 weeks out from my race last weekend. That means 6 weeks to just run easy and try to get to 50 miles per week, maybe start mixing in strides after a couple of weeks, 6 weeks to build strength (Jack Daniels happens to have a good outline of reps workouts that ramp up through 6 weeks, will probably mix in some fartlek sessions, a tempo run here and there, and maybe some m-pace runs. Then 18 weeks of Jack Daniels 2Q program leading up to the race maxing out at 50 miles (I think). If it feels like I can do 55 I might try that but I don't want to get injured either. Let me know if you have any comments!

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Pesto

ace - sorry to hear about the hip  thing not going away! I agree with rune, it's incredible you were able to run such a strong marathon and feel good on that hip. Maybe going back to pool running may help?

And yes, only 5 days til Paris! I'm feeling mostly good. I've gained some weight over the last 2-3 weeks (about 4 lbs or so) due mostly to extreme eating, so not too happy about that, and my left knee has been bothering me a tiny bit (nothing serious for now though, no pain, just a slight discomfort). Hopefully just taper related stuff. Other than that, excited for the race!

fb - awesome table. I could not find any point close in time were you had a similar cycle, so cannot really say much. The 10k TT is promising though! Hope you're enjoying the last few days of tapering Smile

rune - I'm seriously considering Amsterdam as a Fall race too! It's either that or Dublin. I used the 2Q plan for my PR in Berlin last year. It's a great plan! Those workouts can be quite tough and it's very flexible as you probably already know. FWIW, I found I peaked a bit early though, as the plan can be a bit long for its intensity.

rlk - great job on the mile! I'd say you're in for a new 5k PR Smile

Fantastic weeks again for DkWe78, CK and dad. You guys are so consistent!

I have my last "workout" today: 7 miles with 2 at MP Smile

Have a good week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

i got a strava follow request from someone in andover, MN. is this one of you?

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

OMR

rlk:  not me!  (right state, wrong city)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

i know your name Smile this is a name i don't recognize, but that's often the case before meeting RW (RA?) people in person!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

OMR

rlk:  oh yeah...there is that.

i know your name ...

You people have real names?!? 

runethechamp

I posted the following in the 1:30 forum as well, but since this is the marathon forum I figured it also belongs here.

I came across a pretty crazy statistic yesterday when I wandered down a rabbit hole of running related stuff on youtube and other places. It all started when I looked up some stats on Grete Waitz, the famous Norwegian marathon champ who won the New York Marathon in 1978 in 2:32, a world record by more than 2 minutes, when she was only supposed to be a pacesetter and with no training runs longer than 13 miles. I ended up looking up results from the New York Marathon, and picked 1983 as a random year (1984 was supposedly a grueling, hot race). Turns out the race in 83 was won by a Kiwi, Rod Dixon, in 2:08:59, but when I started scrolling down the list I realized how many people had a time close to his. 36 Americans and 63 runners total finished in a time under 2:20. Last year those numbers were 5 and 12! And the best Norwegian in the race, who happens to be part of the Breaking 2:30 group and who ran 2:32:53, ended up in 49th place overall. In 83 that would have given you an honorable 232nd spot. That's a pretty astounding dropoff in the amount of top performers and I wonder what that's all about.

Getting back into it

I wonder what that's all about.

There were far fewer marathons back then. And HMs were very rare too (10K and 10M were much more common in late 70s/early 80s). The talent (sub 2:40 male/sub 3 women) is spread thin. It's probably diluted a bit too. The explosion has been 4+ hours.

pepperjack

pie man

Here's the list of Trials qualifiers for 2016--none ran their Q at NYC.  Just imagine 1/3 or more of those folks running there (adding a minute or two to their times).

http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calendar/2016/U-S--Olympic-Team-Trials---Marathon/Qualifying-Standards/Eligible-List.aspx

If you want to go down the rabbit hole further look at Baltimore (called the Maryland Marathon before the 90's).  People like Ron Hill, Bill Rodgers, and Gary Bjorkland came and won on the old beast of a course in the 70's when there were fewer marathons held.  Can you imagine Meb or Rupp running Baltimore now?  They cut prize money and can't even get B or C level East Africans to show now.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

runethechamp

Yep, the filed is definitely diluted. Still according to this site the total number of Americans who ran sub 2:20 last year was 44:

https://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/road-running/marathon/outdoor/men/senior/2017?regionType=countries&region=usa&drop=regular&fiftyPercentRule=regular&page=1&bestResultsOnly=true

Not sure how that compares to your list PJ, it seems to have a lot more people listed.

It looks like there was 76 Americans sub 2:20 in 83 in Boston alone. It turned out to be a very good year in terms of conditions, but still.

Getting back into it

pepperjack

pie man

I'm not seeing CIM on that list.  2:20 would have been 45th there (mostly due to it being the USATF Marathon Championships?).  And a bulk or all are US citizens?

edit: had to change the 'drop' category.

runethechamp

My bad, that list only showed record eligible courses. If you allow courses with large drops and past the 50% point to point rule you get 86 under 2:20.

Getting back into it

pepperjack

pie man

I only noticed cause when I started getting to 2:23-2:25 I should have started seeing people I know.

edit: I agree there has been some dropoff, the running boom of the late 70's into the 80's was the peak of things for men.  The shorter races actually show it much more drastically.  The Constellation 10k in '83 and '84 if you ran 38 minutes you'd be in the 200s.  Although I guess that's comparable to a Cherry Blossom.

oregonrw

RLK: Congrats on the fast mile! That seems like a really good sign for a 5k PR too -- do you have a longer race planned or are you sticking with shorter ones for now?

Rune: Seems like you have a good plan, although I'm not sure I could stay focused for that long. Is there a reason you don't want to go over 50 miles? Have you had bad luck with it in the past?

Pesto: Hope your last workout went well -- good luck with Paris!

Pepperjack: what was the old Baltimore course? I ran the half a couple of times when we lived there -- I like that race, though I don't think it's an easy course now either.

Elizabeth: Great week!

Hello everyone else.  We got back from vacation Saturday and work has been a little chaotic since.  So much for easing in. Last week I ended up running almost 100% on trails, with a 12 miler on Sunday at home.  The trails were a nice break from the usual roads at home, and really beautiful. Back to the grind today -- 7 miles this morning.  Tempo tomorrow.