2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

fb-guy

Hehe.  FB called us old.

hehe. cold.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Strict WTF adherent

Enjoyed the RRs everyone. Way to tough it out. You're great and all, but you also made me happy not to be there.

Brew - That's a really long plan. Camping with a newborn sounds ... interesting.

Separately, would you mind sharing some tips on how to ship "snow globes?"

Meanwhile, in London. I really feel for anyone running the Barstow-London double.

pepperjack

pie man

hehe. cold.

Well, as of last week it's officially true for me. Trying to find a 5k to make my masters debut.  I think there's a Cinco de Mayo themed one downtown soon.

Keen - they're ok.  Both have lived with other cats before.  Of course there was some hissing this morning so maybe i'm overselling it.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

fb-guy

Well, as of last week it's officially true for me. Trying to find a 5k to make my masters debut.  I think there's a Cinco de Mayo themed one downtown soon.

Congratulations. I think. At least now you can start beating up on old guys. Hope you did something nice and memorable on the (sad) day.

pepperjack

pie man

Did anybody catch this on Rach's post about her 50k debacle (course issues).

Camille Herron Hey Rachel try 100K! Much better! 😃👍

11:11 3,000 (recent)

AceHarris

The more RR I read the more impressed I am with you all. Way to endure and survive!

Brew: in my limited experience I've had trouble with longer plans targeted towards one race. The fatigue catches up to me and/or I peak too early.

Ran 3.75 miles last night. Hip still felt good, but hammies were TIGHT. I think it's partially from getting back out there and partially from the weighted sled pushes I did on Tuesday.

Getting back to running reminds me how much easier swimming and biking is on the body. Why do we do this again?

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

oregonrw

Katia: Great race report.  I have to admit, I am glad I wasn't there. My hands get like that too and it is always miserable.  Nice job gutting it out.

Ace: Glad you had a pain-free run, and hope it continues.

pepperjack: Happy belated birthday.

This has been a tough week -- lots of work issues, kids issues, and Dh traveling, so I'm fitting in what I can.  5 miles Tues, 6 miles Wed with a crappy tempo in the  middle, hoping to get out for 8 easy at lunch today.

fb-guy

Brew -- I don't have the attention span for longer training plans. How about some awesome WFT base building? Freedom can be fun.

Oregon -- hope things settle down. Kids, job, DH, running.

Ace -- good you are feeling better. And because running is a lot more fun.

Stryd -- does anybody use it? Applewatch GPS is not accurate on distance, and therefore pace, and the guy who wrote the running app, which I like, recommended it. Any ideas?

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

+1 to FB on sunscreen. I was lucky enough at 29 to meet a very attractive suntanned but leathery woman who I thought was about 45, who turned out to be 35, and that scared me into dutifully wearing sunscreen from then on.  Considering that I spent several years in the tropics, now live in Colorado at the edge of the desert, and spend a lot of time in the sun, I feel as though I dodged a bullet.  I get a lot of compliments that I don't look my age, but really, I think I've just managed to age properly instead of prematurely.

I will add, though, that (maybe because I live in Colorado) that sunscreen is a year-round thing for me, not just a summertime thing.

Keep those RRs coming.  I've never felt so happy to have missed out. 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

All the Bostwana runners - Great RRs, I enjoyed reading through those. Awesome job getting through in really tough conditions.

BrewI signed up with Beast Pacing, and if it wasn't for DW and I taking a mini vacation in early May I'd have a spot pacing 1:30 at a half in Waco.

Rune - You might double-check with them regarding that 24 week plan. Mine current plan definitely had distinct phases to it.

Ace - Hooray for pain-free runs.

Oregon - Bummer about the tough week. Hopefully that gets better.

FB - I use Stryd, as does DWave. I think I pay more attention to it than she does, though. I'm a big fan overall, though I don't typically use it for distance or pace when outside (I will follow the power outputs, though). Where I do most of my running there are no tall buildings or trees so GPS does just fine (within ~10-15' on a 9-10 mile run). For places like the start of the OKC marathon where there are enough tall building to block signal I will go by perceived effort and "power" readings to pace by, which works great.

With the exception of the 200/400m repetition work I've been doing on the track all of my workouts have been on roads with rolling hills. I use Stryd (and perceived effort) to help pace segments on hills, and for what it's worth the GAP pace on Strava is usually pretty close to goal pace, even if actual and goal paces are off by 45/sec mile.

I did use it for pace & distance during a really hot 6 hour race last summer. I did 22x 1.55 mile loops around a park (USATF certified distance). Actual race distance: 34.10 miles. Stryd distance: 34.34 miles. Off by 7/1000 of the actual distance.

There is a bit of a learning curve with Stryd if you're going to use the power part. I recommend just running the way you usually would for a couple weeks and just watch how the power numbers line up with different paces/effort levels. Let me know if you have any other questions.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Beer Shipping The "safest" way to do it is a lot of packing material.

Put electrical tape around the caps of bottles or on the pull tab thing on cans so nothing leaks or pops open. Place one a gallon ziplock bag and roll up the extra and seal it. Place this in a second zip lock bag. Tape this shut with packing tape. Wrap it with bubble wrap. Place this in a box. If you want to be EXTRA safe you can put everything in another bag, like a trash bag, and tape it shut also. Place in a box, pay for shipping (FedEx or UPS, some people use flat rate USPS but it's technically illegal if you read the law) online and put the label on the box. Drop box off at UPS/FedEx or have them pick it up at your work and all I've ever been asked is if I need a receipt.

If you're shipping to people back and forth, or shipping for yourself and happen to be going somewhere like Alaska where it's STUPID expensive to mail a 1 pound empty box, buy some of these. I might have one sent to my hotel in Chicago if I remember and pack a tape gun to seal it with. Full with 22 ounce bottles they typically weight 25 lbs. FedEx will reweigh the box and charge you accordingly so don't try telling FedEx you're mailing a smaller box to AK because it's $50 cheaper. If I REALLY wanted some Bells Two Hearted I'd probably mail one to Tennessee.

fb/McB I think I'm going to end up doing a longer base building of 50-60 mpw and keep doing speed work at least once a week. It might help to also try out some marathon paced runs too and see where I'm at. I'm going back and forth on racing a local 10K at the end of the month to get a good training time. Camping will be fun as well. Learning how this all works is the interesting part. Knowing I need to get 15 mile runs on camping trips should require going to be early and waking up early. I'm not usually good at that while camping.

keen 1:30 half pacing...dude that's WICKED fast. Typically they want you 10 minutes slower than your PR but if you could pull out a 1:30 at that race I'm sure people would be happy. I wouldn't want to run so close to my PR for my first pacing gig. I once traveled 2 hours to pace a HM because I had a 16 miler planned and a friend who lived in town. It was my first experience sleeping in a house with two kids under 4. The half marathon they just sent out in Sutter, CA is within long driving distance or I could stay with some family closer by but I don't think DW and NeRP would enjoy me being gone Friday night and most of Saturday. Plus without knowing the course I'd be wondering how hilly it is. If you go with one of the race pace watch faces through garmin let me know what works. I apparently deleted the one I had forever.

9 miles today. Getting to 56 is kind of difficult even with a half marathon Saturday. Maybe it's because I don't want to do lots of 15+ mile runs.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

ilana- laughing at the phrase "leathery woman". that's my mom - though she is almost 60 now - but it turns out you can invoke plenty of teenage/twentysomething sun damage in cloudy, rainy pittsburgh. who knew.

laughing at some of the replies to wejo's LRC thread basically asking for some feedback on people's experiences at Bostwana (http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8770854). dwave answers the questions asked, but an anonymous "MRossi" responded "4:00 [goal time], 2:59 [actual time], Nothing [what you wore], What rain? It was dry on the subway. And no snarky photographers out today. Woohoo. [overall experience]".

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - I had offered to serve as a backup for a slower pace group, but since they don't currently have any one for the 1:30 group she asked me (the course is silly flat). With my scheduling conflict I was asked if I knew anyone else who could fill that slot, so I guess I have some asking around to do if I can make the group LR this weekend. Maybe the fast "old" guy from town...
                            Short doubles on the treadmill do wonders for that extra mileage!
                            Oh, looking for this?

RLK - Will LRC ever lose their fascination with Rossi?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Katia77

DW - I figured the women would get that. I've never had anything like that happen to me - just to throw that on top of the epic monsoon marathon!

Dad - what can I say? I learn things the hard way, or not at all Smile

Oregon - I'm so glad I don't have to figure out running this week with DH out of town.

Ilana - I've seen those women too and I wear sunscreen religiously at this point too.

Brew - I hear you on the "spouse wanting weekends for camping".. If I run a fall race, I'll have to be flexible on getting LRs in not on "fun" weekends, or get up early. But, my husband is finally over the fact that I run. Turns out non-running me is worse.

I'm taking the week off running, which is great since DH is out of town anyway. I feel much better than I thought I would, though. I also have a better idea that St. George marathon -- Revel Big Cottonwood is a month earlier and basically in my backyard. Considering the half or full. Idk why I'm all motivated --- probably because I tend to get a benefit from building on training cycles when possible, so I kinda wanna see if I can do that.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

fb-guy

FB - I use Stryd, as does DWave. I think I pay more attention to it than she does, though. I'm a big fan overall, though I don't typically use it for distance or pace when outside (I will follow the power outputs, though).

CK -- just sent you a PM with some Stryd questions. Thanks for your help!