2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Speed Surplus

SC ~ Freaking out over a June race already? I thought I was bad!!!

Oh, I've been freaking out for MONTHS. I just kicked it up a level. 

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

pepperjack

pie man

Random trivia--I've been told my friend's sister gets covered in Daniels' book.  She is listed under rlk' s group for 2012.

3 days off due to life and I'm feeling fresh.  5k next week.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

SC - can you refresh me on which race this is?  I don't have it in the tracking chart.

Good luck to CK and RLK this weekend!

8.5 easy/aerobic for me today (8:33) plus drills, strides, and then upper body strengthwork and core.  Still recovering, apparently.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

(i wonder if ilana thinks my non-capitalized writing is at least more readable than fully-dashed-writing Wink ).

Nope.  Honestly, I wouldn't have seen this if you hadn't boldfaced my name - my eyes kind of glaze over anything more than a couple of lines written without capital letters.  Though I would rather not have to read a whole post with dashes instead of spaces!

SC - the downhill will help a lot as long as you've been practicing your downhill running.  The number of people stretching and moaning on the side of the road at St. George was something to behold.  I also think the consistent training will help you, and so will getting your mileage up higher if even for a short time.

Been mountain biking, mostly.  It's taken stupid time to recover from the stupid 5k.  Plus we have a White Rim trip coming up in May (100 miles of 4WD road over 4 days) and I should really get ready for that.

AceHarris

Finally getting some days on the road and then I got sick. Took yesterday off. I was supposed to do 4 easy yesterday and 6-8 easy on the trails today. Feel pretty rough with a nasty cough. Went for a “hike” today just to keep the legs moving. It was kind of a miserable 2.8 miles.

Its especially tough seeing a bunch of running buddies run some nice races this weekend.

On the positive side, I took two naps today!

best of luck to racers tomorrow!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

pj ooh, who? We had an amazingly huge number at the OT marathon in 2012 but honestly many of those members were short-lived, haha. Still - pretty amazing force. And I think 7 of those got their OTQ at CIM 2011. I am told that was a pretty magical day! We're trying to re-enact that at CIM this year... (not me. lol.) I think there are 13 or so who have recently run sub-3 and are chasing OTQ.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Really impressed with all the Biddeford fortitude.  OMR and I staggered to a hypothermic finish at Black Canyon (me more than him I think) and I know how tough it must have been for all of you.

Pesto: Good job finishing instead of dropping.  Anyone can drop.  Finishing a marathon is worth something, no matter the time.  And your walk-it-in time is the envy of many people.  When Jim Walmsley had his famous wrong turn at Western States a few years ago, he ended up walking in with his parents - he later said that was a great thing that never would have happened if he'd still been pushing.

Brew: Speaking of Walmsley, I'm not sure he'd run a smart enough race to do well in a marathon.  He's awesome but I haven't seen him demonstrate patience yet.  He's no Desi Linden.  I would send you a picture of my belt buckle collection if I could find it.  Maybe I'll post a picture of my bib collection.

FB: Run those garbage miles at a pace that feels really easy.  HR is funky - really individual and susceptible to conditions.  It's a great tool but I reverse engineer it - figure out paces and then see what the HRs are.

Dad: I'm considering hiring you as mentor to a somewhat-new coach.

Clever: Are you running Tunnel?  You probably know this already but gps watches and the mile markers are useless for that race until mile 16 or so.  You either run by HR, if you know what your HR should do during a marathon, or by feel.  Make sure you do some long downhills before that race.  I recommend going to Tiger Mountain at least a couple times and do a couple downhills - ~3 miles and 2000 feet of elevation loss down the T3 main trail.  Pretty runnable (the bottom 2/3 anyway) and it will torch your quads so you can fly down the railroad grade.

DKGGPeters: I've tried to track down a copy of Science of Winning.  Too expensive on the sources I have.  Good recommendation though - it popped up somewhere in my reading.  Agree with you about the personal plan.  I'm coaching 6 people right now and they are all completely different.  So I coach them differently.

Jim's Kat: As far as your rut, you could go back to marathon training (devil emoji right here).

Went away for a DW family reunion last weekend and gradually catching up.  I'm still semi-injured, but I did a Chirico 5-peat this week (5 laps up/down a 2 mile 1600 foot climb - the cool kids do 10 laps) and with a mess of pool running miles I'll clock in at about 100 miles for the week.  I can't run much faster than 9:30/mile but it's ok training for some long races for this summer, and my hamstring tendon is slowly getting better.  There's a marathon nearby (Capital City) on May 20 that I'm vaguely thinking about for a BQ-5 attempt so I at least have the option for next year.  ~8:12 pace.  I might have the aerobic fitness (I think I was in 7:40 shape when I f*&%ed up my butt in March) but I'll decide in a couple weeks if the soft tissue will hold up.  And I need to get through (a very slow) Miwok 100k next weekend first.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Clever: Two more piece of advice.  First, do some portion of your training off pavement.  Run in the grass/dirt next to pavement if you have to.  The Iron Horse trail is pretty sweet for a not-pavement trail but it's not smooth like pavement.  It will work your ankles/legs slightly different than pavement and if you are not ready for that it will cost you a small amount of time.  Second, do at least one of your long runs on the Iron Horse trail.  Park at the finish, run 10 miles uphill, then turn around.  You'll get a great sense for what the trail is like, you'll go through the only real turn on the course, and you'll see the 1-2 miles of flat near Rattlesnake Lake.  That flat part seems uphill after 20 miles of downhill and it's nice to know roughly how long it is.  Because of the trail-ish nature, I think it's good for about 5 minutes off a flat time, but only if you are ready for the downhill pounding and that it's trail not pavement.  At least one friend is running - depending upon what's going on I might see you at the finish.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

smax- ha, just get through 100k. dang. want any trail company?

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

pepperjack

pie man

Heather.  It was just one of 3 OTQs for her.  She's now in Seattle and I see her on strava running around Max's lake.  Good times.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

fb-guy

Running with Rovatti today -- will confirm whether he is real or imaginary.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

DKGGPeters: I've tried to track down a copy of Science of Winning.  Too expensive on the sources I have.  Good recommendation though - it popped up somewhere in my reading.  Agree with you about the personal plan.  I'm coaching 6 people right now and they are all completely different.  So I coach them differently.

Seattle,

Unfortunately you can only get "The Science of Winning" for kindle and it is $40.  I secured a like new used book of Swimming Fastest for only $11 and it also goes into physiology at a deep level the second half of the book.  On both these books, you also need to convert swimming distances to running distances to get a good feel of there workout examples to relate it to running.

One of the other problems with a coach whom has a large group outside of HS or College (even they have issues with individuality) is that everyone may have different A Goal races so programming the workouts to their schedule means that you cannot have a one workout scale it up/down for everyone as it may not be in their best interest.

One thing I will say,  the important thing is that you buy into what your coach is doing.  She/He can be a great coach and if you do not buy into their program then you probably will not do that well.  There are many roads to Rome and having trust in your coach is key.

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Running with Rovatti today -- will confirm whether he is real or imaginary.

Can vouch he is real.

Ace - hope you feel better soon!

Smax - "just a tune up 100k..."

DKGG (not sure how to abbreviate you) - thanks for the book recs.  Always looking for new education recommendations.

My week:  44 miles of running and 4 "miles" of pool-running.
                            M: upper body weights/core and 4 "miles" of pool-running.
                            T: 6 miles aerobic (first run back is never an easy effort) and then 1000 yards swimming.
                            W: 5 miles aerobic to yoga (8:46), yoga, then 3 miles easy (9:15) plus drills.
                            Th: off.  semi-planned rest day, since I did a day trip to NYC for work (3.5 hour train ride each way).
                            F: 4 miles not-easy-due-to-GI-Issues (9:31), yoga, then 6 miles easy (9:31) plus drills and strides.
                            Sa: 8.5 miles aerobic (8:34) plus drills, strides, upper body weights/core.

Su: 11.5 intermittent miles very easy (9:17) (cheering for friends at race), plus injury prevention and light lower body strengthwork.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

fb is light on his feet!   ...inspired me to get off my ass and start training again.

AceHarris

Speaking of books, has anyone read Endure yet? It has some solid reviews and an intro by Malcolm Gladwell, I think.

CkCongrats on the PR!! Race report?

Rlk: Nice 5k. Any idea why the difference in effort and time? Need some rest?

If I looked at it right, the boys high school 4x100 winners (39.01!!!) would’ve place 2nd in college and 3rd in professional divisions at the Penn Relays. Jamaicans be fast!

Also, looking at the race schedule for the Penn Relays gives me anxiety thinking about managing that meet. So many races!

2 naps and a good nights rest made a big difference for me. That virus was short but intense. Missed two runs, but back on the road today with 6 miles.

my week: 20 easy miles, some strength training, and “saved” a baby turtle from getting squashed. Hip is feeling good.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)