Bet Boston Marathon will be cancelled this year (Read 174 times)

I think the over/under for cancellation is May 1st.

Anything after May 1st will probably still go on.

I have no idea when Boston is run; but I guess I could look it up.

My logic? By May the virus will have run it's course, reports of new infections will have bottomed out, people will feel safe to peek their heads out of their bunkers. This info from reading CDC, WHO and other reports on this virus. Could be wrong, maybe it isn't affected by warmer weather so much. That's why it's a gamble.

Now just tell me the stock market will have recovered all its value by May 1st, and I’ll sleep soundly tonight.

Dave

Define "cancelled".  Tokyo was effectively cancelled for 27.000 hobbyjoggers, but they still held the elite races.

I'll take your $5. I'm betting it won't be canceled. Tokyo wasn't even canceled and I think the Covid-19 outbreak kind of started around that area of the world.

I think the main concern for most of us hobbyjoggers is whether it will be cancelled for us hobbyjoggers. So yes Tokyo was cancelled.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I think the over/under for cancellation is May 1st.

Anything after May 1st will probably still go on.

I have no idea when Boston is run; but I guess I could look it up.

My logic? By May the virus will have run it's course, reports of new infections will have bottomed out, people will feel safe to peek their heads out of their bunkers. This info from reading CDC, WHO and other reports on this virus. Could be wrong, maybe it isn't affected by warmer weather so much. That's why it's a gamble.

Or...alternately - the goal of all the cancellations is to spread out the peak.  But...once we hit that delayed peak, there's not as much benefit from continued cancellations, while there continues to be an economic and social cost.

So...even if it's still ripping along, society may start moving again out of necessity.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

100%. And I'm always much better prepared for a warm day in September than in April.

The average high temperature on April 20 in Boston is 57 degrees. The average high temperature on September 20 is 71 degrees. I don't care how well heat trained you are, you're not making up 14 degrees. The dew point is also MUCH higher in September than it is in April.

And yeah, I don't think it's May 1. June 1 possible.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mikeymike

Or...alternately - the goal of all the cancellations is to spread out the peak.  But...once we hit that delayed peak, there's not as much benefit from continued cancellations, while there continues to be an economic and social cost.

So...even if it's still ripping along, society may start moving again out of necessity.

I think this is right. And I desperately miss the days when we had a government that was interested in and capable of explaining the value of flattening the curve to people.

Runners run

The average high temperature on April 20 in Boston is 57 degrees. The average high temperature on September 20 is 71 degrees. I don't care how well heat trained you are, you're not making up 14 degrees. The dew point is also MUCH higher in September than it is in April.

Oh I won’t argue that the average weather is excellent. Just like if you have one foot in a block of ice and one foot on fire, on average you’re comfortable.

MTA: that said, I also won’t argue that any marathon in September is kind of ridiculous.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I think this is right. And I desperately miss the days when we had a government that was interested in and capable of explaining the value of flattening the curve to people.

Umm, probably because no government is actually capable of explaining the outcome.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

At this point why even sign up for a marathon or go out in public? Just stay inside because there is too much fear of getting SARS, MERS, or anything with flu like symptoms so social gathers need to be minimized. Everyone stay inside watching TV or reading on social media how dangerous it is outside. You'll probably die if you go out there.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

delicate flower

100%. And I'm always much better prepared for a warm day in September than in April.

I would much rather run on a warm September day than a warm April day. September would make sense though because I am sure they want to get this race in before the 2021 qualifying window closes.

<3

Running Problem

Problem Child

I mean the NBA season is cancelled, so, yeah.

Didn't one of their contracted employees eat bat soup then hold a press conference exposing lots of people to the virus?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

mikeymike

I would much rather run on a warm September day than a warm April day. September would make sense though because I am sure they want to get this race in before the 2021 qualifying window closes.

If only the BAA knew who to talk to about adjusting the qualifying window and registration period, then they could move the race to October.

Runners run

delicate flower

If only the BAA knew who to talk to about adjusting the qualifying window and registration period, then they could move the race to October.

You just blew my mind.

<3

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

lolz

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Move the State holiday too, or create a new holiday. Marathon Monday.

VDOT 53.37