Need a GPS Watch but clueless (Read 224 times)

omdno1

I don't have a problem with it, just wish there were more loaded routes from others and I kinda wish they had a map generator button that creates routes for you. Mapmyrun has one but, it's not that great. Creates routes on roads with no sidewalk and creates some of the same routes over and over, its a beta thing so..they're still figuring it out.

TJoseph

Just look for loops you can create and then measure it with the tool. I like to incorporate nearby trails or bike trails if I can and avoid high traffic roads and stop lights. Other things that I find desirable on a running route are shade trees and scenic features like lakes, rivers, ocean, etc. You can switch the Measuring Tool to satellite mode to see the trees and actual buildings in the area.

omdno1

The whole "looking at a map thing" and trying to remember it while you run is kinda old fashioned if you think about it. These days, with onboard navigation through GPS while we drive, you would think we would have created something better by now for runners. just sayin.

TJoseph

As James Bond said in Skyfall, sometimes the old ways are the best. Studies have shown that your mind needs exercise to stay healthy just as your body does. Planning and memorizing running routes is just part of your workout.

omdno1

No kidding, but man, Im starting to get my distances and routes all mixed up. Too much information we have to cram in our heads these days including all these usernames and passwords..jeesh

runmichigan

The answer is to just go run.  Depending on technology to tell you where to run is not a good idea in my humble opinion.

Most roads are set up in a general grid fashion so just map out a route that is basically rectangular in shape while being the approximate length you want.  Memorize the three turns you need to make from your map.  Run from your starting point to your first turn and turn.  Repeat two more times.  Stop when you reach your starting point.  Look at your GPS watch to see how far you ran.  It should be fairly close to what you mapped out in the mapping software.

The alternative is to run out until your GPS says you have done half the distance for the day.  Then you turn around and run back.  Running the route in a different direction will make it look different.

omdno1

Ha..i wish it were that easy, "just go run"

Well, I'm on a strict training program and I'm not just out there jogging around for exercise, need to just know the exact distance.

It was easy when I was younger, I relied on courses that I trained on with my fellow cross country partners. Now that im older, it's not that easy. I don't think there's anything wrong with using available technology to assist, running can get real boring so anything you can get to push you a bit is also a plus.

After doing a little digging, I think what im looking for is a GPS with navigation. Theyre out there http://www.needaplan.com/best-gps-navigation-watch/

like I said, im just a bit clueless about what exactly is available and im really new to "smart" technology to begin with BUT

I know what I want.

Im pretty sure I can achieve what I want if I chose to run with my phone, my phone and my headphones are Bluetooth and I would get turn by turn directions for sure. Add a smart watch, and im set. But im just not a fan of running with my phone.

It would be simple to plot out say a 4 mile square and run it with little complication but I would like a little variety so..

HermosaBoy

I think you are over complicating things -- it is as simple as go run.

The more times you go run, you learn the mileage to various spots.  As you complete additional runs in your area, you get to know which turns add on how much mileage.  So, you have your standard loops (or out and backs) and then you have little "add ons" that are available when you need to extend.  I have been doing this so long in my area, I can pretty much run almost any distance just by adding on a turn here or there.  At that point, the GPS is only there to help with pace and to make it easier to upload into your log.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

omdno1

Well, im glad I'm not alone on this..http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/watches-phone-apps-gps/79218-watch-navigation-while-running.html

I would love to upload a pre mapped run someone else has completed, go there, and begin. No fuss. Not much to ask, right?

runmichigan

Ha..i wish it were that easy, "just go run"

Well, I'm on a strict training program and I'm not just out there jogging around for exercise, need to just know the exact distance.

It was easy when I was younger, I relied on courses that I trained on with my fellow cross country partners. Now that im older, it's not that easy. I don't think there's anything wrong with using available technology to assist, running can get real boring so anything you can get to push you a bit is also a plus.

It is as easy as just go run.  I am not out there "jogging around for exercise".  I have been running a marathon a month for the last nine months and been running about 50 miles a week in between.  I have developed a variety of courses for me to run on by trial and error.  You just need to go out and run and then takes turns to add or subtract distance as needed.  By sometimes randomly exploring, running does not get boring like it can when you lock into the same routes over and over.

While I applaud you having a training plan, locking into a strict plan can easily lead to a loss of motivation and even injury.  Just because the plan says 10 miles does not mean you cannot run between 9 and 11 miles.  You will sometimes need to adjust the plan based on how you feel and the weather conditions.  Using the same routes over and over (like the same route every time you do a five mile run) will often lead to a lack of motivation and even boredom.

i think the main reason there are few or no running GPS watches that provide turn by turn directions is that there is virtually no demand for them.  Runners often are just going running for a certain amount of time and they want to know how much distance they covered in that time. Runners during training are infrequently trying to get to a destination (other than where they started) so turn by turn directions are not needed.

omdno1

runmichigan,

I've been running all my life, and I appreciate your free advice on the way you workout but, I really am just searching for a GPS watch that achieves what im looking for. Personally, I hate wearing ANY watch when I run. So, I understand the minimalist attitude, believe me. But, I love gadgets and technology too. Not sure if I agree with the "just go out and run" attitude". I know plenty of kids who don't follow plans and find themselves hurt and then wonder why. My experience has taught me, that training plans were made for a reason. I used to get injuries all the time by going out and winging it.

Like I said before, I appreciate you sharing with us your achievements and training techniques but im really not asking for that. Just a device that doesn't look like it was made in the 80's, inexpensive and does simple things a phone does and judging by my research, im not alone.

an amazing likeness

I don't understand -- if you don't want a GPS watch, why phrase the topic as "Need a GPS watch"?

There are Garmin Forerunner GPS running "watches" -- ranging from simple to incredibly complex, and cheap to expensive -- which do everything you've asked for, with the exception of active route guidance.

Your stated needs:

1. Like many, I'm in desperate need of trying to find new, fresh routes for my half marathon training. Getting pretty bored with the same 3 mile courses I run and need some variety. Maybe I'm a bit behind the times driving around, wasting gas, trying to create custom routes.

Solution --> use a route mapping tool, such as RunningAhead's (or others) to map our new routes. You'll get distance, elevation and even Google Streetview to preview any unknown sections.

2. My question here is, do any of you know if we are so far ahead these days to have the ability to upload these maps to a GPS watch and have the watch direct you via Bluetooth headset, turn by turn directions so you don't get lost.

Solution --> As of yet, no one has been able to identify an existing wrist formfactor GPS device with this capability. There are smartphone apps (ie RunGo) which offer this, but not watch-style devices. (at least from the main players in this market: Garmin, TomTom, etc)

3. I have no interest in carrying a clunky phone with me so, I'm looking for a watch that works independently if possible. Any suggestions of anything else similar to this technology, would be greatly appreciated.

Solution --> Don't carry a phone. Use a watch-style GPS tracker which will measure the route you actually run, track your stats for the run. Pair that technology with a route mapping solution to find new, interesting, engaging routes which will challenge your routine.

The device you want does not exist. Folks here have offered what they believe to be reasonable alternatives for your consideration.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

omdno1

I "prefer" not to wear but if it assists me, i will

omdno1

Milktruck,

that was EXACTLY the info i was looking for, thanks for taking the time to research this

Marylander

The Garmin watches do not use stride length (unless you are running indoors and have their footpod accessory), they use satellites to determine your position and distance run (GPS).

This is no longer true. My forerunner 235 has 'learned' my stride length at different paces while on GPS runs and uses that, along with motion detection, when I use the treadmill to estimate my distance without a footpod. It works pretty well. For all runs with the watch it tracks average cadence and average stride length, which can be viewed in the app. I still mostly pay attention to time, distance, and pace but some of these other stats are neat to check every once in a while.