Do elites (or even really fast runners) talk to each other during a race? (Read 1117 times)

I assume elites towards the end say things such as.... "get out tha way *****, get out tha way *****, mooove!" Smile However, I've never been close to any of the elites to hear this.

Vim

Ojo

Interesting topic as I ran a HM yesterday and talked more than I ever had on any run in my life. I always train/race alone but for some reason at this race (More HM in NYC) there was a woman who was running the same pace as me for most of the race. We ended up chatting just because we were always meeting up. She was fascinating and lived a life so different (and more exciting) than mine. Anyway, I did run a slower race than I expected -- I had really hope to hit 2 hrs (my time was 2:03:36) so did it effect me I don't know.

Sara

MM #2929

RunNow

Anyone, elite or not, who is making a serious effort at racing and not just "doing a race" does not chatter. A few words, perhaps an acknowledgement, but that's it. If you're serious about hitting a PR or a BQ or something, a lot of focus is needed. Mindless yapping drains the focus.

Why is it sideways?

Anyone, elite or not, who is making a serious effort at racing and not just "doing a race" does not chatter. A few words, perhaps an acknowledgement, but that's it. If you're serious about hitting a PR or a BQ or something, a lot of focus is needed. Mindless yapping drains the focus.
          Mindless yapping drains the focus. Roll eyes
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Well, at least I'm doing that part right. Smile
              I have never talked to anyone during a race...until Saturday. For whatever reason, a guy and I started chatting about 14 miles into a marathon. We ran together and small talked until mile 23. Sometimes laughing about how well we were doing. We both seemed to benefit from it. I ran a 3:01:26 (a PR by 20 min!) and he ran 3:05 (a BQ in his first marathon). Go figure... As for the elites? I'll never know.
              Dave
              "Run like hell and get the agony over with."
              --- Clarence DeMar
              Ojo

Hmm! I guess you are right. Like I said, I don't normally talk but I wasn't trying to do anything spectacular since I am running a marathon in less than 4 weeks and I didn't want to get hurt. I guess I learned a lesson. Confused

Sara

MM #2929

I have never talked to anyone during a race...until Saturday. For whatever reason, a guy and I started chatting about 14 miles into a marathon. We ran together and small talked until mile 23. Sometimes laughing about how well we were doing. We both seemed to benefit from it. I ran a 3:01:26 (a PR by 20 min!) and he ran 3:05 (a BQ in his first marathon). Go figure... As for the elites? I'll never know.
                  Dude, your pace is elite in my book.

Vim

The Greatest of All Time

Anyone, elite or not, who is making a serious effort at racing and not just "doing a race" does not chatter.
                    For the first time in any race, on Saturday I chatted regularly with a guy in my age group during the first 8 miles of a HM. I found it actually made the race go by faster and neither of us appeared to be breathing too hard for an occasional sentence or two here and there. It turned out we had a mutual friend when we were younger. Small world. I just really miss running with people so I was a little more chatty than normal. And I was totally focused during that whole race.
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Why is it sideways?

Hmm! I guess you are right. Like I said, I don't normally talk but I wasn't trying to do anything spectacular since I am running a marathon in less than 4 weeks and I didn't want to get hurt. I guess I learned a lesson. Confused
                      FstrThanU is obviously a troll (check the username). Ojo, I liked your original post because you made it clear that you were writing from your experience and that there are a variety of approaches to racing. Of course, the original topic is about whether or not elites talk during races. "FstrThanU" is trying to turn an innocent question into mindless yapping about what "true" running is. Which is why there was more than a bit of irony in his post.
                        Back in the old days, elites would apparently communicate without words. I've heard this exchange described differently, some say it was a pat on the back, some say it was a tap on the shoulder (like "boo, did I scare ya?") The nickname "Heartbreak Hill" originated with an event in the 1936 Boston Marathon. On this stretch, defending champion John A. Kelley caught race leader Ellison "Tarzan" Brown, giving Brown a consolatory pat on the shoulder as he passed. His competitive drive apparently stoked by this gesture, Tarzan Brown rallied, pulled away from Kelley, and went on to win—in the words of Boston Globe reporter Jerry Nason, "breaking Kelley's heart." Sometimes it's best not to poke a sleeping dragon.

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

JakeKnight

For the first time in any race, on Saturday I chatted regularly with a guy in my age group during the first 8 miles of a HM. I found it actually made the race go by faster and neither of us appeared to be breathing too hard for an occasional sentence or two here and there. It turned out we had a mutual friend when we were younger. Small world. I just really miss running with people so I was a little more chatty than normal. And I was totally focused during that whole race.
                          Note: Marcus "mindlessly yapped" his way to a 1:23 half marathon. That's sub-6:20 pace for 13.1 miles. And if memory serves, quite a bit faster than he thought he could run it. Whatever the elites may or may not do, a little talking obviously isn't going to hurt you. And it might just help. For example:

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

RunNow

FstrThanU is obviously a troll (check the username). "FstrThanU" is trying to turn an innocent question into mindless yapping about what "true" running is. Which is why there was more than a bit of irony in his post.
                            Not a troll, and just expressing my opinion, as were you. Sorry if you disagree and have run with the "lead woman" in one race, but that doesn't make you the authority. Others were discussing their own non-elite experiences (as you did) and opinions, which is what I did too. I made no comments about what "true running" is. I was discussing, racing, focus, and my opinion that chatter screws up focus. Attacks and eye-rolling face necessary? Nice.
                              Whatever the elites may or may not do, a little talking obviously isn't going to hurt you. And it might just help.
                              A friend of mine was a Thompson Island Outward Bound charity runner for Boston 2006. A runner coming up from behind noticed her singlet, and they chatted about the program as they ran. She had been dreading Heartbreak Hill, and finally asked her chat partner how far they were from it. With a grin he said "we just cleared it, it's in your rearview mirror." The conversation took her mind off the run, and she was probably the only runner that didn't notice Heartbreak Hill that day.

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

JimR

FstrThanU is obviously a troll (check the username).
                                Maybe, but I for one agree with his (or her) statement to an extent. I'm not fast but I don't race for the social aspect of it, it takes all of my effort to get through any race. I don't consider conversation to be a productive strategy in racing. Doesn't mean I haven't said things in races, we all have for various reasons. Maybe a couple of words of encouragement to another runner, some appreciation for the volunteers, those sorts of things. But I save the chit chat for before or after the race.