Has anyone ever had to stop? (Read 452 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I was in Tennessee for something and signed up to run a 5K a few weeks before it. I figured it's only 3.1 miles so I shouldn't have have a problem finishing it. I've ran before, just never consistently. Ever since that race though, now i'm running every day and I love it. I'm going to run a 10K, then half marathon, and full marathon in a couple of months before the end of the year. If I keep running more and more my time should decrease right?

Great that you're hooked on running, welcome to the crowd. The only thing that jumps out at me is your full marathon ambitions. What's your hurry? The full is a whole different beast, and I would recommend keeping up your daily running and shorter races for a good year before you attempt the 26.2.

PavementRunner94

I have never DNF'ed, but walked the entire 8K at the Gasparilla Distance Classic in February. I did the Michelob Ultra Challenge which was a 15k, 5k, 13.1 and 8K over two days. After the half, I was cashed and so the 8K was kind of a victory lap for finishing challenge. Next year I'm doing just one race Wink

rlopez

Holy moley, I see all these "I've never DNFed" posts, well, I'm clearly doing it wrong. Ha.

As for walking during a race... you bet.  Heck, in some races it is almost required.  And sometimes, my walk turns out to be faster than my run. So I walk.

Anyway, I have a fine assortment of DNFs.

But I missed this thread over the weekend because I was running the Vermont 100.  I walked some.  Ok, a lot.  I did not DNF. This one.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congrats!

Glad you're feeling better.

steph  

Every time I see this thread I wish that there had only been one reply, and that it was just "no".

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Every time I see this thread I wish that there had only been one reply, and that it was just "no".

I wanted to post "No". Even though of course it isn't true.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I never stop or quit (nor should you, unless injured)..

I am just a hobbyjogger, but I tend to disagree.

Here is an example of deliberately stopping without being injured, for a fairly well thought-out reason:

A runner DNF'd our local marathon when she realized she was not going to be able to make the OTQ time, and she wanted to stop so she would not be wrecked, and could try again to OTQ soon.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.