Getting up in the morning. (Read 928 times)

Frank4

Getting to bed at a decent time is a big plus...I still get up and do the early morning run even if I was up late, but usually end up feeling it in the afternoon with a serious case of dragass. Also, setting my running clothes out the night before really helps. When the alarm goes off, make sure it is far enough away from the bed so you have to physically get out of bed to turn it off. Then, keep on going and don't turn back to the bed. Once you're up, you've overcome the biggest obstacle of the day...it's all downhill from there! (unless, of course, it's a hill training day, but I digress...) Big grin

Why is it sideways?

The Greatest of All Time

Anyone else have trouble with tightness in the morning? If I run after work, I feel fine; however, in the mornings my legs are tight and the run is painful. Anyone over come this? Suggestions?
        I am always tight in the morning and always will be. I sort of stretch lightly will drinking my coffee but it always takes me a mile to really loosen up. My first mile is always around 30 seconds slower than the rest when I run outside. On the treadmill I warm up for 5-10 minutes before I crank it up. I am also tight again in the evening when I run but it usually takes me about 1/2 the time to loosen up. I have horribly inflexible hamstrings.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

uncontrollable

21 days... thats what they say it takes to form a routine. So you just need to force yourself out each day. When the alarm goes off, I find it helps to get up and pee - then at least you are already standing and then just head to the door instead of back to the bedroom.
          That's interesting, the 21 day thing. I'll keep that in mind.

peace

Anyone else have trouble with tightness in the morning? If I run after work, I feel fine; however, in the mornings my legs are tight and the run is painful. Anyone over come this? Suggestions?
            I notice this too. In my legs somewhat, but where I really feel stiffness is in my shoulder blades. I feel the muscles crackling around and everything when I start to run in the morning. I make a point to walk for a few minutes and then force myself into a slow slow slow pace and pick up the speed gradually every few minutes until I feel comfortable running at a higher pace.
            regoarrarr

I read an article that talked about to overcome the problem where you get all psyched to wake up early in the morning the night before but then when it actually comes to it you nancy up in the morning. What this guy suggested is that you practice waking up at night. His idea was that you need to condition your "morning brain" to not think about it - turn it into an instinctive response. Alarm goes off, get out of bed, no thinking. So he suggested practicing at night. Lay down in your bed with whatever you wear as pajamas on at 8:00 or so in the evening. Set the alarm for 2-3 minutes in the future and just relax. When the alarm goes off get out of bed, stretch, and turn off the alarm. Do that for a few days / weeks. The 21 day to form a habit is a good suggestion.
              allout88

So i still didnt get up and run this morning. My friend actually called about an hour ago and said we are gonna run some trails at about 6:30...PM. Having others to run with in the morning would be nice. In july i am junior staff at a running camp and we get up at 6 or so every morning to go on the morning run with the kids...i have that for 3 weeks, but hopefully i can get into some kind of a routine before then. I really have to get up early tomorrow to get some miles in since i am doing short and quick speed in the afternoon.
                allout88

And although that sounds insane...i will try practicing waking up....it may help

The Greatest of All Time

And although that sounds insane...i will try practicing waking up....it may help
                    FWIW...This morning I woke up at 3:30. I was no longer tired so I got up, stretched, read the news, had a cup of coffee, and was out the door running at 4:30. A good run that finishes as the sun rises is magical. I love listening to the birds.
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                    Frank4

A good run that finishes as the sun rises is magical. I love listening to the birds. Agreed...there is no substitute for being out on a morning run when the sun comes up. It's peaceful like nothing else.
                      allout88

Yeah man i know. I have done it before, but that was in the fall when i had a team to run with. It has been hard enough to get into a running routine again in the first place. I usually have some one to run with once or twice a week, but usually in the afternoon. I will however wake up anywhere from 3-7 tomorrow morning and do an easy hour. If i dont...then i will skip the workout and run 2 hours...that'll teach me.

Non ducor, duco.

The other thing that works is to break into getting up early. Set your alarm 15 minutes earlier than you usually get up for a week. Then the next week do it again. In short order you will train yourself to get up earlier. This assumes of course, that you went to bed early enough.
                            2 Things must happen for me to get up before work to run... #1 Find someone to run with. If you know they are there waiting for you ... you'll run #2 Get to bed early
                            Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
                            mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

+1 on getting to bed early - you will, naturally, want to wake up earlier then. Other than that, you just have to, as my older son says, "Nike Up", which apparently means just do it. No moaning, stalling, complaining it's too early. Just Do It. BTW, 3 weeks at camp = 21 days. If you don't have the habit by then, you will when you get back. Bottom line - whether you get up and run early is between you and... you. Good luck.
                              allout88

i've managed early wake ups the past few days, but this morning i got a little angry because my friend bailed on me and didn't show up so i had to run alone...in the pouring rain. Fun. up at 6am again tomorrow though.