Sore calves and ankles when running outside but not on treadmill (Read 3327 times)

mangler07

hey guys, new to this :-) basically.....i can run 3mile on treadmil lwith 1% incline at 7.5mph andhave little is no soreness/stiffness the next day but if i do the same distance outside, mixture of uphill (some quite steep) and downhill / flat roads the next day my calves and ankles are sore like no one's business :-( even after stretching etc ..... the soreness kicks in around 1.5 - 2 miles into the run outside and slows me right down, the soreness lasts almost a week before i feel i can run again....when running on treadmill i get no soreness at all throughout the full run.....any ideas what this could be? genraly details about me running for 5months weight - 160lbs, 11.5stone i do running and weight training (more upper body, light weight on legs)
    Kimmie

My initial thoughts are: What kind of surface are you running on? You said roads, so I'm assuming asphalt. You may want to see if you can run on dirt paths. The other thought is you could be hitting on the balls of your feet instead of mid foot. That would put too much strain on your calves. But I would think you would do that on the treadmill too. Hang in there and see if you can figure it out- a sports doctor could help. It's worth it to be able to run outside.
      mangler07

i think you might be right about running on the ball of my feet...once the soreness kicks in i find myself having to concentrate on the heal touching down before my toes.....the 1.5 miles of the run is mostly up slight inclines and flat road..the second part is pretty much all downhill...slight incline too.....
          It's probably got to do more with how you run (particularly with your landing) and the surface more so than weight or how long you've been running. With treadmill running, the ground (surface) underneath your landing foot moves backward, pulling our leg backward fairly hard. Someone who's used to running on the solid ground might actually experience exptra "pull" when they get on treadmill. It is probaly rarer to see a person who has trouble running outdoor than on treadmill for that reason. The only thing I can think of isthat it's actually more toward your shin than calf and maybe you're experiencing a case of shin splint. Treadmill is much more bouncy and, beside the "pull", is a lot more forgiving in terms of landing shock. Particularly if you land hard on your heel, the hill you said your course has, both up AND down, on the hard surface might be irritating your shin. Shin spling can be experienced at more of a medial side of lower leg; where you can actually feel the shin bone in the front and a chunk of calf muscle in the back. You'll need to a bit more meticulously articulate your problem if you want to find out a solution. The fact you run fairly fast (7.5MPH) on slight incline kind of indicates to me that it's not really a calf problem???
            Could be the quite steep hills you mentioned. Try running on the treadmill at various inclines and see if you get the same sore calves.
              One more thing; if it is in fact your calf, if you have any snow or ice on the ground, slight slipping would cause your calves to work extra hard and get stretched out a bit more and work your calves extra hard. This may be such an elementary (My Dear Watson...) but just throw this question at you as well.
              mangler07

i feel that pain pretty much all over my leg from knee cap down, calf, shin and ankle...i'll try running on the treadmill at various inclines to try and make it more simular to my outside runs and see if i feel the same effects, maybe slow down the speed of my outside run to see if there is any difference aswell. my outside run is around 3.3 miles, usually do this in around 29minutes
                  Mangler, I wonder if the problem lies in the sort of shoes you are using? Maybe your shoes haven't got the shock absorption you need? Mind you, I am a mild supinator (run on the outside of my feet) so I need cushioned shoes but I have recently learned painfully that you can have shoes that are too cushioned for the way you run. If your heel bounces right through the spongey bit so that it "bottoms out", that can mean extra strain on the heel/ankle calf muscles especially on hilly bits I found. I was out for over a fortnight with an injury caused by my brand spanking new extra bouncy NB 1063s. Nothing wrong with the shoes, they just didn't suit my running style. I think I'm a heel planter. Have you had a gait analysis? A simple change of shoes may provide the answers perhaps. Andy
                    With treadmill running, the ground (surface) underneath your landing foot moves backward, pulling our leg backward fairly hard.
                    I think he's onto something there. I used to have the same pain you've reported, even when on the TM. I saw a PT and she said I was waiting too long to pick up my trailing foot (stride length was too long), thus stretching the calf out more and making it work harder. I have since worked on it and now my stride length is much shorter and I do not have the pain. It seems logical to me that since the TM is doing some of the work (by pulling the leg backward), when switching to outdoor running you might be holding that foot back longer than on the TM and replicating the same problem. The two big things my PT told me were to shorten my stride length and lean slightly forward (she actually suggested running on the TM at 3-5% incline).
                    2009 Goals:
                    PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                    Run a 10K
                    Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                    Complete my first Sprint Tri
                    mangler07

ive was using a pair of £70 nike running shoes and am now using a £110 pair of adidas ones im due to go out tomorrow morning for a run so i'll try and focus on shortening my stride and lean slighty forward...update ones ive done the run thanks for all the advise guys
                        ive was using a pair of £70 nike running shoes and am now using a £110 pair of adidas ones im due to go out tomorrow morning for a run so i'll try and focus on shortening my stride and lean slighty forward...update ones ive done the run thanks for all the advise guys
                        Don't confuse cost of the shoe with it actually being a good shoe for you. The most expensive pair of running shoes I've purchased ended up causing me lots of knee pain and only getting used for about 50 miles. With that said, I do a good bit of treadmill running, for various reasons, and I can definitely tell a difference if I have a stretch of several days where I am treadmill only then I hit the pavement for an outside run. I get alot of tightness in my shins and ankles. Things generally loosen up after a few miles though.
                          Seems to me like your only problem 'might' be that you're not used to the great out of doors. I know that I do a lot of winter running on the TM and try to get out at least a couple times per week but don't always.....so when I have run on the TM for a couple week in a row and then go out, I really notice it in my legs, calve and ankles... Try easing in to you run when you start out on the streets...go a little slower and thro in a few walk breaks at first......give your body a change to adjust a little. The TM has a lot of natural cushion and when you're outside, there is a lot of extra pounding......you really need to account for that when you are outside until your body has fully adjusted..

Champions are made when no one is watching

...listen to the thunder

Seems to me like your only problem 'might' be that you're not used to the great out of doors. I know that I do a lot of winter running on the TM and try to get out at least a couple times per week but don't always.....so when I have run on the TM for a couple week in a row and then go out, I really notice it in my legs, calve and ankles... Try easing in to you run when you start out on the streets...go a little slower and thro in a few walk breaks at first......give your body a change to adjust a little. The TM has a lot of natural cushion and when you're outside, there is a lot of extra pounding......you really need to account for that when you are outside until your body has fully adjusted..
                            +1 I ran quite a bit over the winter but mostly on a treadmill. Boy do I feel it the first few outside runs in the Spring. If you take it easy and let your body adjust to the extra pounding, you should acclimate fairly quickly. Cool

Run, Eat, Repeat.

mangler07

sorry for the late repliy guy, had to unespectedly go away for a few days.... good news though, i concentrated on shortening my stride, slowered my pace a little and tried to lean into the run as advised previously....letgs felt fine through the run which was 3.6 miles, woke up today and my legs are fine, little tired but no pain at all :-) happy days cheers guys
                              mangler07

hi guys... its back :-( ive isolated the pain to the back end of my ankle...from my heel to about 2inch below my calf muscle...no pain in the calf muscle at all.... im still using the same shoes ... new balance 1024's ...... the pain is no longer there once im warmed up i can run quite comfortably for my 5.2 miles...its when im finished running i feel it..... the 1024's i believe are a cushioned shoe...my normal day to day shoes are worn more on the outside of the soul than anywhere else....it was suggested to me that i need a cushioned shoes to help support the outside of my foot when running....is this correct?