Grand Haven Coast Guard Fest 10k -- aka "fool me once..." (Read 750 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Am I a glutton for punishment? This race was my most miserable last year--thanks mostly to poor race management. So I guess it was wishful thinking that had me register and pay money AGAIN for abuse. Last year's biggest issue was poor course marking, which had those of us "bringing up the rear" types off course for a section, then back-tracking. This year the course was marked much better...but only 2 aid stations (last year I remember clearly at least 3) for a 10k in warm, humid weather and a 9am start? Par for the course, apparently, as they moved the finish refreshments a couple of blocks away from the finish, then ran out of water and cups. At some point they found more water and cups, but the lines for water were--no joke--at least 30 deep. Nuts on that business. I went inside the YMCA to buy a bottle of water and a bottle of Gatorade--maybe I should bill the race organizers.... I heard that the 5k folks (who started at 8am) had to wait in line for water--during a RACE--at the single aid station on their course. I don't care if purists look down upon me, in the future I will do nothing longer than a 5k without my own hydration (I brought my own for the 15k I did last month, which I really didn't need, as that one had aid stations EVERY mile, but thought that would be overkill for this race)...I was so envious of those smart folks who had hand bottles and regretted not grabbing my own. I should have been able to clock in at under an hour given my recent training, but by 3 miles I was queasy and chilled and my pace kept dropping...I'm almost always a negative splitter or maintain an almost perfectly consistent pace for the duration of a race, but overheating and inadequate hydration took their toll. As a result I came in at (IIRC) 1:01:48 (start is not chipped, so my actual time was probably closer to 1:01:30). I still beat last year's 1:11:11, but I'm not all that thrilled about it. In April I did a challenging, hilly 10 miler at a faster pace than this race. There's really no excuse for them to not have perfected this event. did ran this race 20 years ago, so it's by no means a new race. That 6.2 miles felt SO much longer than the 25k I did in May. The Grand Rapids Marathon was only in its 3rd year last October and it was FAR better organized and executed than this mess. Now I'm in search of another 10k in the not-too-distant future so that I can get my PR under an hour--as it should be. Last weekend there was a 10k about equidistant from this one...I really wish I had known about that race prior to registering for this one. I don't think I want to pay for an hour of irritation again. The ONLY thing they did better this year (aside from the course marking, which I didn't actually need this time around) was the shirt. But that's not saying much, as last year's shirt looked like it was designed by a trained monkey (not a flying monkey, mind you). The one highlight was getting to hang out with Joni and her family after the race and watching her hubby and our boys run up and back down a HUGE and steep sand dune. I think her husband is very brave...and maybe a little nuts to volunteer for that. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

va

zz, You shaved 10 minutes off your 10k PR!!! Shocked Way to go!!!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

zz, You shaved 10 minutes off your 10k PR!!! Shocked Way to go!!!
        Well, I did run a "longer" course, last year...

~ Sarah Kay

WTG Kirsten despite poor race management! OH as far as glutton for punishment, I hear ya there!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Here's your "official" CONGRATULATIONS! You're such an inspiration! GREAT work!! Big grin
            shyrunner07

ugh, CGF! Dead How were the folks who were running? They made fun of hubby a few years back, when (unknown to him) he got roped into broadcasting the "event"...total bunch of uppity buttmunches!!Tongue Aside from the points you mentioned, i'd also suggest that they consider moving the race up earlier in the season...the weather is always so miserable for the runners at this time...plus they could get the enthusiasm for the Festival going even earlier. Or maybe they should scrap the whole thing altogether- it's obvious they've got their heads up their asses and don't seem to be in any big hurry to remedy that. Roll eyes (Have you done the Patriot's Day race? I think that one's a 5k only...on the 3rd or 4th of July- run by Tom Laughlin, who I know was involved with the GHHS track team, might still be now too....really nice guy, and i'm sure his organizational skillz would make the CGF's want to cry "uncle" right away! Tongue) What did the shirts look like? At least you shaved some more time off your PR...and you and little did got to compete "together", which is cool. Smile WTG! Big grin
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(Have you done the Patriot's Day race? I think that one's a 5k only...on the 3rd or 4th of July- run by Tom Laughlin, who I know was involved with the GHHS track team, might still be now too....really nice guy, and i'm sure his organizational skillz would make the CGF's want to cry "uncle" right away! Tongue) What did the shirts look like? At least you shaved some more time off your PR...and you and little did got to compete "together", which is cool. Smile WTG! Big grin
                Dane LOVED his little 20 second obstacle course race. He and I now have matching T-s...they're pale blue with a sort of stylized runner striding across a US flag with some yellow stars sprinkled about. Very nice. I'm not sure who should be blamed for the poor organization. Classic Race Mgt. does the timing, but I'm not sure that they also do the aid stations and food--I really don't know who's responsible for that disaster. I never even saw bananas or bagels. Honestly, all I took from this race was the shirt and about 4oz of water. Not worth the gas. I can understand why they want to do a race associated with their biggest tourist event of the year, but considering what a big draw the week+ is, they could do a much better job. Derek thought he heard that 1500 people ran the 2 races today. That's really crappy that 1500 people would leave with such a bad impression of the races. k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

i think that'd be the ymca, or the festival committee. When jesse comes home tonight, i can ask him who the go-to person would be....I don't think Roger Jonas is involved with the CGF anymore, which is a shame- he's a very nice guy who would take any feedback seriously. Maybe if they did change the race to june or something, they could devote more time to being organized, etc. Sounds like they just have too many balls in the air during this week-10days.... where did the race go through? Where there already a lot of folks in town? I toyed with the idea of taking hannah to the obstacle course, but i just don't have the heart to deal with the crowds, and the townies, and tiara moms, etc. Worked out just as well anyhoo- i took her blueberry picking yesterday and she's still a little punky from the heat...
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not too many crowds yet at that time. The course goes up through Duncan Woods, then makes its way to the soccer fields out by the river, then back along the river by Chinook Pier, along the boardwalk, then back up Howard and to the YMCA. k

~ Sarah Kay

Marathonmanleto

Kirsten--You may want to consider the Marshall Run 5k in Newaygo on Sept. 1. My family has done it the past three years and it's a great small town event---run very well. Would enjoy meeting your crew also. Another attempt at a RA meeting!
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I hadn't planned to do a 5k this year, but Newaygo is only about an hour away. That's one more PR I could probably kill! I will definitely think about that one--maybe backroadrunner could do it, too. She's only about 30 minutes from there. I'd bet Joni/Sockoni could also swing that. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations! Smile Sorry to hear it was so poorly organized. Two years in a row, you'd think they'd improve on that!! Confused

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sorry to hear it was so poorly organized. Two years in a row, you'd think they'd improve on that!! Confused
                            After last year's poorly done race I remember talking to someone who said that the previous year's event was also bad. I'm really amazed that people keep coming back. I don't think I will. There are other 10ks in the area that may not have as pretty a course, but likely won't have all the frustrations, either. k

~ Sarah Kay

After last year's poorly done race I remember talking to someone who said that the previous year's event was also bad. I'm really amazed that people keep coming back. I don't think I will. There are other 10ks in the area that may not have as pretty a course, but likely won't have all the frustrations, either. k
                              It's that faith thing...we just keep on giving people another chance, hoping they'll get it right. I'm a glutton, I'd go back, JUST IN CASE they finally got it right.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's that faith thing...we just keep on giving people another chance, hoping they'll get it right. I'm a glutton, I'd go back, JUST IN CASE they finally got it right.
                                Yeah...I think that's just it. I'm not sure I want to risk it a 3rd time, though. No 3 strikes and you're out kind of thing when I have to pay a registration fee, KWIM? k

~ Sarah Kay