How accurate would you say that garmins are? (Read 1204 times)

I ran a USATF certified 5k today.  My Garmin read 3.08 miles at the finish, so that's within 1% of the actual distance.  I'm surprised it read short, though.

jfa

On tonight's hilly, turning route,mostly under trees,the Garmin and RA differ by .32miles. It's usually about .2m less than RA's interpretation.I use the lower number for my log. This may sound silly but does arm swing effect it's accuracy? I swing my arms like crazy on the steeper uphills.

jfa

This is really pissing me off. Last night's run was .49miles difference between what Garmin says and RA.Which do you guys go with and does anyone else vary in distance so much?

an amazing likeness

Just for clarity, when you say "garmin" shows the distance to be .49 delta -- do you mean some form of software, such as Garmin Training Center, or the display on the Garmin Device. Also, do you have smart recording enabled on the device.

Apologies in advance if you've already provided this info, I skimmed the thread and didn't see it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jfa

Thanks MT- yes, by "Garmin" it's on the device itself,and that's compared to what RA thinks the distance is.And Smart Recording is on.

an amazing likeness

Although this link is specific to how the Motionbased software calculates the run distance from the device data, other services (such as the one used here at RA) probably have similar challenges, it may give you some insight.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

This is really pissing me off. Last night's run was .49miles difference between what Garmin says and RA.Which do you guys go with and does anyone else vary in distance so much?

I would / do go with what is recorded by garmin versus what is interpretted by RA or other map software.  I have thought in past that may be if garmin auto pauses and/or you stop for a water break etc.  Map seems to plot the logical path you folowed, which may include parts the garmin was not recording?? 

For example: I think on some runs when I stop at a park bathroom and pause, walk a few hundred yds back to another path, then restart.  The garmin is not counting the distance, but it appears plotted and counted on map as software assumes I got from point A to Point B somehow ... just a theory.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

I would / do go with what is recorded by garmin versus what is interpretted by RA or other map software.  I have thought in past that may be if garmin auto pauses and/or you stop for a water break etc.  Map seems to plot the logical path you folowed, which may include parts the garmin was not recording?? 

For example: I think on some runs when I stop at a park bathroom and pause, walk a few hundred yds back to another path, then restart.  The garmin is not counting the distance, but it appears plotted and counted on map as software assumes I got from point A to Point B somehow ... just a theory.

I wanted someone to explore the "arm swing" theory and much further your arm is traveling vs the rest of the body.  

I wanted someone to explore the "arm swing" theory and much further your arm is traveling vs the rest of the body.  

i just run with my arm extended straight out ... that way my Garmin thinks I am 2 feet further then I really am  i am sure those 2 feet extrqapolated over a course of run probbaly add up to .25 - .5 mile... Or maybe not

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Beginner all over again

My distance varies.

So does my "auto paused when stopped" and it can take a while to notice I am running again and engage in resuming stats for me.

I get over it as soon as it happens, so I never gave it a second thought until this thread  

If it's a big deal, I might suggest you take an average or whatever you have an inkling is more accurate.

Imminent Catastrophe

Garmins don't record continuously. They take a position about every 5 seconds (the 405 does, anyway). So arm swings would be cancelled out after just a few positions (20 seconds or more).

Anyway, these devices are only accurate to 10-15 feet, so an arm swing of a couple feet would not be significant.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jfa

Thanks for the good comments guys.I don't tend to get too anal about it,just go with averages,but just wondering if that difference amount is normal. Another thing is it probably is making a lot of autopauses on some runs .I have it set to pause at 11min miles and going up some steep hills the last couple days, it's paused quite a bit. I'll see if the amount of stopping during  a run makes a difference.

My 405 is defintely accurate as was my last model.  I know it is accurate because I foten run a trail with mile markers.  The watch clocks miles very consistent with mile markers.
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I often run a trail with sundials, and I've observed that my garmin watch tracks pretty consistenly with the shadows from the gnomons. They're so regular I like to refer fondly to my watch as my little portable metrognomon.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

will run for popsicles

my garmin sometimes says i'm here when i'm actually somewhere else. but in arizona we don't do daylight saving time so i may be drifting in space.