Finished my first 5k (Read 379 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

This was the 5k I had in mind when I first started the C25K program back in April, and it felt good to kind of put a finishing touch on the program. A couple of weeks ago my sister decided she wanted to do it with me, and since she hasn't run in years, I didn't even worry about our time. I just wanted to take in the full experience - race day, time with my sister, that sort of thing. What a blast! I had a great time running with my sister - she did really well. Her goal was to run the first 2 miles before we walked, and we got close. She needed a minute walk or so around 1.75 miles. I think we walked twice, or maybe three times, but still came in right at 36 minutes (she was 55th at 36:04 and I was 56th at 36:05 - of course, I let her win Big grin ). Best part was that I was able to talk her through it pretty much the entire time, which means that I could have gone a good bit faster. I really wasn't that tired at the end. I don't know how I did as far as placement for age group and gender. I'll update that when I find out. Can't wait to do another one. Keep up all the hard work, everybody. It is so worth it!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Running with someone is always great. Running with a non-runner is even better. My sister will not run but she is on her 4th PEACHTREE 10K (1:35:00). The first year was great. Now I wait at finish line. Congrats to you and your sister.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Congrats on your first 5K! Sound as if you had a great time--and that is what it really is all about. And good job keeping your sister motivated.
        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations!! Now you're hooked, huh? You're right, the hard work is definitely worth it.
            Good on you, I was in the same position as you about 18 months ago and the weight has flown off me. I was 196 pounds and now a svelt 175. Big grin I promise you, the bug will definitely bite and if you can keep running with other people it will encourage you to continue as it becomes a social event. 5km is a "magic" number in running, make sure you hit the targets you have set but have a long term goal, say for the end of next year to run 10km....that is when you knnnooooww you have the bug.

Jerry
            A runners blog-updated daily

Congratulations to you and your sister! It's wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed the race together. Being able to chat during the race is a good sign that you had some energy to spare, which is good to know for your next race. Smile

Michelle

De-slacking in progress

Congrats to you- just did the same thing C25k Saturday also . It works good.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14