Cutback weeks (Read 965 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I'm training for my third marathon and expect that this will be the first marathon that I will be able to race. I have a question regarding cutback weeks. I know the rule of thumb is to schedule a cutback week every third week. I also know that it's just that - a rule of thumb. If that third week rolls around and I'm feeling strong, I feel comfortable in adding a bit more distance or a little intensity that week. Similarly, if things are dragging more than expected, I would be fine in easing up a bit more than my schedule calls for. Schedules are just numbers on paper. Training is training. My question is: If I find myself consistently hitting that third week and not needing a cutback week, do you think that's an indication that I may have been overly conservative in planning my training?
      I have a cutback week every 4th week as the rule - cut by 40-45% on the mileage. That's been enough to recover. I also do a day on the bike instead of running so I only run 4 days that week instead of 6. My mileage is still below 30, we'll see if that holds true if I get closer to 40. You have to go on how you feel - if you're dying in the 3rd week then your schedule is probably good - if you're feeling comfortable then the 4th week cutback might be good.
        Maybe it should be every 4th week,,, thats what I generally do. 3 UP, 1 Down. But as you say, just a rule of thumb. Also, the cutback week is probably most effective when you don't actually feel like you need it. Chances are if you feel the need to cutback, you should have cutback sooner. Similar to easy days during your training. You know you can do more, but in the long run are better off not pushing. Individual experience and results will tell you the most about what you need. Good Luck

Why is it sideways?

My question is: If I find myself consistently hitting that third week and not needing a cutback week, do you think that's an indication that I may have been overly conservative in planning my training?
          There's an easy way to find out. Run more and see how you feel. Most people are overly conservative in planning their training volume. And really, volume is only one of many factors at play in determining what's best at any given time. So, yes. If you feel like running more, by all means run more. FWIW, I don't believe in cutback weeks at all. Here's an interesting discussion that may change how you think about the whole concept of down/easy/cutback weeks.

A Saucy Wench

I rarely schedule cut back weeks anymore. Cut back weeks happen on their own because 1) life interferes - with 2 kids this happens often enough to probably average every 3-4 weeks 2) I have a non-goal race I want to do and depending on which day it is on I often end up with less weekly mileage or 3) I wake up one morning my body says HELL no.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I rarely schedule cut back weeks anymore. Cut back weeks happen on their own because 1) life interferes - with 2 kids this happens often enough to probably average every 3-4 weeks 2) I have a non-goal race I want to do and depending on which day it is on I often end up with less weekly mileage or 3) I wake up one morning my body says HELL no.
              +1 I plan only that one week every 3 to 6 weeks will have less mileage. But I don't get too caught up in which week it will be. That may be a race week. That may be a week where my wife is gone for a while and I can't get out to run. Or I may feel some discomfort. The last break I gave myself was the first one in a while that I actually could have run more and I decided to give myself a break.

xor

Last week was supposed to be my first peak mileage week of this cycle... my first 75ish mile week since last November. Then on Wednesday afternoon, I got really sick and haven't run at all since my lethargic 5 mile (was supposed to be 10) on Thursday. My 75 became a 55. Cut back week! Real life. Unfortunately, I may have two back-to-back cutback weeks, which is no longer really a 'take a breather' kind of thing and more of a depantsing of my training (I hate the word 'detraining').

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Outstanding. Thank you so much everybody.
                  Chrisnerb

Timely thread for me. Thanks for sharing the information everybody as I was considering my 1st cutback week since starting my marathon training in early Jan. My biggest problem is a cutback week would likely mean skiing or some other strenuous activity for a day or 2. So would it be a cutback solely because I recorded less running MPW on the runningahead log?

2009 Goals: PR's in 5k, 10k, HM, marathon

A Saucy Wench

Timely thread for me. Thanks for sharing the information everybody as I was considering my 1st cutback week since starting my marathon training in early Jan. My biggest problem is a cutback week would likely mean skiing or some other strenuous activity for a day or 2. So would it be a cutback solely because I recorded less running MPW on the runningahead log?
                      eh...call it Xtraining

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

On My Horse

This is one of the advantages to not having any sort of plan to your running, you can just wake up and run what you feel like running, weather it be a 40 minute tempo, 3 miles jogging, or a 20 mile long run Smile You don't need to expend any brainpower training!

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Look at my fine running log here and see what happened when I didn't take a cutback week. The weekly mileage graph tells the story the best. Exhaustion crept up on me (abnormally high HR, insomnia, etc., all the classic signs) and I ended up with the flu 3 weeks prior to a marathon. Carp.
                          Chrisnerb

eh...call it Xtraining
                            Having some difficulty with settings on the training log. Could you explain how to enter a new color bar for x-training? Also, when I attempt to enter a 'recovery run' I'm trying under interval section (probably not the right idea) and it doesn't enter. Is there a way to just create a color bar for 'recovery runs' as well? Thanks in advance from a eh...not so computer adept guy!!!

2009 Goals: PR's in 5k, 10k, HM, marathon

gracerunner

I'm training for my third marathon and expect that this will be the first marathon that I will be able to race. I have a question regarding cutback weeks. I know the rule of thumb is to schedule a cutback week every third week. I also know that it's just that - a rule of thumb. If that third week rolls around and I'm feeling strong, I feel comfortable in adding a bit more distance or a little intensity that week. Similarly, if things are dragging more than expected, I would be fine in easing up a bit more than my schedule calls for. Schedules are just numbers on paper. Training is training. My question is: If I find myself consistently hitting that third week and not needing a cutback week, do you think that's an indication that I may have been overly conservative in planning my training?
                              The real name for cutback weeks is recovery weeks. The only way your body adapts to any hard work is by resting. These weeks should be built into a schedule not just for overall recovery and maintenance, but also to keep the mind in check. It's a natural inclination in most of us to think "more, more, more", "faster, faster. faster", and we'd gladly take the tougher choice if someone promised us a few minutes off our time. I think it's wrong to think that you should feel exhausted and tired throughout training, and when it becomes too much, THEN take a break. Proper training doesn't overstress the body. You should actually feel good and healthy throughout training, not the opposite. If you are feeling tired, running on tired legs, constantly have a nagging ache or pain in the same spot or many spots, feeling cranky, etc. Then you are doing too much. Remember who you are, and that is an amateur. Take the break every 3rd or 4th week, and be sure to take rest or brief recovery runs less than forty five minutes on the day after a run of long duration or speed or tempo work. Get better, but don't sacrifice your health to do so. Take the recovery even if you feel good and strong.
                                The only way your body adapts to any hard work is by resting.
                                So far so good here... Some elite athletes train at decent intensity in AM and PM; they have trained their body to actually recover adequately in 12 hours, instead of 24. Some stimulus takes 48 hours to recover so you'd mix them up and do, say, one day long and at easier effort and the next day shorter but faster. By balancing your program, it SHOULD be easy enough to train everyday, even twice a day for most of them. Bottom line; if you have to take it easy for a whole week every 3 or 4 weeks, the whole program is too hard for you at that level. I actually believe it's a hell of a lot more to do with mental than physical. Bottom line; far too many people actually don't want to run and they want to seek a break. Actually nothing wrong with that--you need that break too. But your body is hell a lot tougher than most of us realize. It's a lot more mental than physical. I'm doing much better this winter than last winter but I'm having a trouble running twice a day (everyday) right now. It's not because my old body is screaming for a break; but I'm really getting sick of changing into and undressing from 4 or 5 layers of clothes. Even running in the -30F weather wouldn't bother me--been there, done that. You won't freeze your lungs; never had frost bite anywhere on my body ever. It's all in my head. That said, once again, I'm not saying it's a bunch of BS to take an easy recovery week. You sometimes need that. But if your body constantly requires that, then I'd say the issue is that the whole program is not balanced and your body is not following it right. I've never heard of "cutback weeks" until, say, mid 1980s; I've only heard of it in the US (though, because of the trend, I'm sure we'll soon start to hear about it all over the place...).