Marathon Challenge (Read 984 times)

For those of you who missed the PBS airing of Marathon Challenge, it's available as five online chapters at the link below and is a must see for anyone contemplating running a marathon for the first time. Marathon Challenge Tom
      Thanks for the link, a good programme, I enjoyed watching.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Non ducor, duco.

Thanks for the link, a good programme, I enjoyed watching.
        Yea, but it wasn't right that those people got to run BOSTON.
        JakeKnight

Hey, we should debate that. It's probably never been discussed before.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Oh man, that was a monster discussion in CoolRunning.
              Ha!! Big grin
              mikeymike

Have you tried using the search function?

Runners run

Lazy idiot

Awesome. I don't know what else to say.

Tick tock

The Greatest of All Time

The same thing happens every year with Ironman Hawaii which IMHO is harder to qualify for then Boston. The media turned what used to be a hardcore event into a sappy, touchy-feely, chicked soup for the soul kind of crap. Too many very talented and serious athletes train and race for years on end but never qualify for that race only to see someone of questionable athleticism get a charity bid and DNF. It's not even watchable any more.
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                    mikeymike

The same thing happens every year with Ironman Hawaii which IMHO is harder to qualify for then Boston. The media turned what used to be a hardcore event into a sappy, touchy-feely, chicked soup for the soul kind of crap. Too many very talented and serious athletes train and race for years on end but never qualify for that race only to see someone of questionable athleticism get a charity bid and DNF. It's not even watchable any more.
                      For real? (And I don't even play coolpoints.)

Runners run

Scout7

The same thing happens every year with Ironman Hawaii which IMHO is harder to qualify for then Boston.
                        If I'm not mistaken, the way they fill Kona slots is based on placement at other IM races. In other words, each AG gets so many slots at each Ironman race. So if you are at a competitive AG, your chances are greatly reduced. It's more like trying to qualify for the Olympics, in that there's a time standard, and a placement standard to meet, and you can't be sure how you're going to place.

The Greatest of All Time

If I'm not mistaken, the way they fill Kona slots is based on placement at other IM races. In other words, each AG gets so many slots at each Ironman race. So if you are at a competitive AG, your chances are greatly reduced.
                          You're correct. There is no time standard like Boston. You compete in your age group for a set number of slots which I have seen as low as two and as high as ten. It's very, very hard.
                          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                          JakeKnight

Note to self: you were too subtle. These people don't do subtle.

Scout7

Note to self: you were too subtle. These people don't do subtle.
                              Shut it, suspicious ape.
                              JakeKnight

Shut it, suspicious ape.
                                I'll bet those charity types at Boston wear i-Pods. Anybody know if they do? Where's that search function thingie?