Power Running Physiology Enters the Mainstream (Read 2197 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Mr. Inertia- From looking at your log, especially your easy run last Sunday- You might want to cut out the 45 hour easy runs Shocked
    What can I say, I'm slow. nothing quite like a few 10 hour miles to recover from a progressive long run though.
      What can I say, I'm slow. nothing quite like a few 10 hour miles to recover from a progressive long run though.
      I have been known to time myself with a calendar instead of a stopwatch!
        FIRST includes VO2 Max and LT and Rich does not.
        Really? Earlier in this thread Dick wrote: "I don't have any way of determing how many people worldwide have trained similiarly to what I recommend (3 run days per week, cross train the other days). I do know that the three FIRST studies produced about a 75% success rate (meaning 75% or so of the subjects ran either a PR or beat their most recent time in the marathon by an average of 20 minutes) - a compelling success rate for those willing to consider it." After all the gobbeldygook and doublespeak, he's a FIRST proponent. I won't pimp his website, but it's full of sprints and mile intervals.
        Rich_

Mid May
          Mr Intertia, I base training around 6 key workouts spread across 2 weeks. It is where I recommend you start. Sprint/interval workout: 200 - 1200 meter sprints/intervals, moderate to hard intensity 2k workout: 1 - 2 miles, (1 mile repeats or 2 mile continuous run), moderate to hard intensity 5k workout: 3-4 miles, moderate pace 10k workout: 5-7 miles, easy to moderate pace 1/2 marathon workout: 10-13 miles, easy pace Marathon workout: 14-22 miles, easy pace Week 1: Monday - sprint/interval workout Wednesday - 5k workout Friday - Marathon workout Week 2: Monday - 2k workout Wednesday - 10k workout Friday - 1/2 marathon workout Basically, these 6 workouts train all the various components/factors that are key to performance. The goal is to find the level of intensity that is appropriate to your recovery level. Training too hard will retard progress (or result in injury). So, make haste slowly. Better to train moderately and recover adequately than to train hard and not progress at a reasonable rate. Build up your distance and intensity at a reasonable rate. Monitor your progress and adjust training as necessary. For your marathon workouts, no need to be running 20+ miles now. 15-18 miles (2 - 2.5 hours of running) is sufficient until you get closer to the marathon. Those are the 3 key run workouts each week. I recommend strength training one day each week and cross training 2 days per week, for a total of 6 workouts per week. If you insist on running more than 3 days per week, then run easy 2 days per week instead of cross training (though if you are following my plan, cross training is what I recommend).
          Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

So when you say "moderate to hard" intensity you're talking about what most other people refer to as "comfortably hard" or "tempo" or "lactate threshold"?
            Rich_

So when you say "moderate to hard" intensity you're talking about what most other people refer to as "comfortably hard" or "tempo" or "lactate threshold"?
              Basically, yes. I use the modified RPE (rating of perceived exertion) scale. 0 no exertion at all .5 extremely weak 1 very weak 2 weak (easy) 3 moderate 4 somewhat hard 5 hard 6 7 very hard 8 9 10 extremely hard (almost maximal) * maximal Earlier, I provided recommended intensity levels for each of the 6 key workouts. These are recommended intensity levels for someone who has been training moderately hard to hard and is able to handle the intensity. If you haven't trained hard lately, then take your time building up the intensity level in the moderate to hard workouts. For example, I suggest a hard intensity for the sprints. But if you haven't done sprints lately, then start off at a moderate intensity and over a period of weeks/months build up the intensity to the hard level.
              Mishka-old log

Power Running Physiology Enters the Mainstream Almost 10 years ago I first advanced the idea that endurance performance is primarily about power output and that muscle contractility is the dominant factor in endurance performance. This “power running” theory was very contradictory to the long accepted cardiovascular/anaerobic model of endurance performance. A review of the mainstream running publications available at that time revealed that only one person – Dr. Tim Noakes’ in his book Lore of Running – was even suggesting that the cardiovascular/anaerobic model might not be correct. Every other source touted VO2max, lactate threshold, and running economy (the 3 pillars of the cardiovascular/anaerobic model) as the primary determinants of endurance performance. When I first presented my physiological & training theories to the running community via the internet, they and I were generally attacked by the more vocal members. The theory that muscles, and not the cardiovascular system, determine performance was rejected by most as the ravings of a mad man (or at least one who didn’t grasp basic physiology). Undeterred by the personal attacks, I persisted in sharing the “power running” theory and, more importantly, the significantly large body of research and empirical data supporting it. In recent years an increasing number of research studies have cast doubt on the validity of the cardiovascular/anaerobic model. So much so that a growing number of writers, coaches, runners, and physiologists have begun to openly question the validity of the cardiovascular/anaerobic model and Dr. Noakes has gone from being a heretic and iconoclast in the physiology community to one of its leading members. Today, the cardiovascular/anaerobic model is no longer the end-all, be-all theory it was 20 years ago. This 100 year old theory appears to be on its last legs, soon to be replaced by some other theory (probably Noakes’ Central Governor model). What about the power running “muscles determine performance” theory? This theory has advanced from the oft-ridiculed idea of basically just one man to being presented in a mainstream running publication in 2008 as a valid, accurate theory. The new book Run Faster – from the 5K to the Marathon by Brad Hudson and Matt Fitzgerald presents as fact many of the physiological tenets of the Power Running theory. It’s a bold new world out there. Let’s have a look at it in more detail.
                3/10. I think I smell a troll.
                Rich_

3/10. I think I smell a troll.
                  It's just your b.o. Big grin
                    So in effect a very generic training plan totaling about 20-25 MPW, with the long run being atleast as long if not twice as long (in case of the marathon workout in the second week) as the other runs combined. Mt Inertia, If you do follow this plan, please do tell us the result. I do wish this a success as someone atlast found out a way to get faster not really having to run all those miles as everyone else does.
                    Scout7

Yes, I would be interested to see what happens to someone who follows this plan. Violates a number of training principles I've seen. I could this plan working for someone with already low mileage, though. A newer runner, perhaps.

Feeling the growl again

Dick from Page 4: "What I will say is that multiple research studies have shown that easy runs don't add anything really measureable to performance."
                        Mr Intertia, I base training around 6 key workouts spread across 2 weeks. It is where I recommend you start. Sprint/interval workout: 200 - 1200 meter sprints/intervals, moderate to hard intensity 2k workout: 1 - 2 miles, (1 mile repeats or 2 mile continuous run), moderate to hard intensity 5k workout: 3-4 miles, moderate pace 10k workout: 5-7 miles, easy to moderate pace 1/2 marathon workout: 10-13 miles, easy pace Marathon workout: 14-22 miles, easy pace Week 1: Monday - sprint/interval workout Wednesday - 5k workout Friday - Marathon workout Week 2: Monday - 2k workout Wednesday - 10k workout Friday - 1/2 marathon workout I recommend strength training one day each week and cross training 2 days per week, for a total of 6 workouts per week. If you insist on running more than 3 days per week, then run easy 2 days per week instead of cross training (though if you are following my plan, cross training is what I recommend).
                        Sorry, the hypocrisy was just to ripe not to point out...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Rich_

Sorry, the hypocrisy was just to ripe not to point out...
                          It's only "hypocrisy" to someone who is ignorant of the generally accepted meaning of easy runs. I generally don't recommend easy runs. I do recommend some easy paced key workouts.
                          Scout7

It's only "hypocrisy" to someone who is ignorant of the generally accepted meaning of easy runs. I generally don't recommend easy runs. I do recommend some easy paced key workouts.
                            And what the heck is the difference?
                            Rich_

And what the heck is the difference?
                              Fatigue. You can fatigue (or overload) a set of muscle fibers without running at an intense (hard) pace. The point of each of the key workouts is to overload a specific set of muscle fibers. The term "easy run" is the most commonly used to describe a particular type of workout with a particular physiological benefit. The other term for the same workout is "recovery run". Either way, the point of an easy run / recovery run is not to induce additional fatigue. See Daniels Running Formula for a nice explanation of easy runs, what he believes the physiological benefits are, and how they differ from other runs (long runs and marathon runs) done at an easy pace. One of Mr. Inertia's rule was no physiology so I didn't include a physiological explanation of the difference earlier.
                              Scout7

So, wait, what are you prescribing?