2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I’ve always liked Slammin, but his accusations against Cal were totally false and I made my feelings clear. Slammin then blocked me on Strava!  Oh the drama!

What were his accusations? And I know the drama of getting blocked on Strava!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

What were his accusations? And I know the drama of getting blocked on Strava!

Ask Cal or Piwi and you might get a different story. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ask Cal or Piwi and you might get a different story. 

We need the historian to write all of this down so there's no confusion in the future!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

No it was the guy from Brazil who was wanted by the FBI

Brazilian guy's "change name drama" was on RWOL around 2014-2015. The "drama" Smile JMac is asking about was happening here in 2019.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brazilian guy's "change name drama" was on RWOL around 2014-2015. The "drama" Smile JMac is asking about was happening here in 2019.

Both stories please! You two are not giving up the goods

Running Problem

Problem Child

Both stories please! You two are not giving up the goods

Use the search feature or dig through the 2019 marathon training thread.  It really isn’t hard.

edit for linking

CLICK HERE FOR MARATHON TRAINING HISTORY

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I remember some of the 19 stuff but obviously have no knowledge of earlier since I wasn't around.

Anyway - I love the old timer stories obviously and makes me appreciate what the threads looked like back in the day. I remember being very intimated by all of the super fast times and how much everyone ran. I was only running about 20 mpw at the time and the thought of even cracking 50 was horrifying to me.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Use the search feature or dig through the 2019 marathon training thread.  It really isn’t hard.

edit for linking

CLICK HERE FOR MARATHON TRAINING HISTORY

I remember that at the time via some lurking.  Good times.  The worst we get these days is the odd snipe at people for being too nice...I like arguing and finding one tiny point in a post I can thoroughly refute as much as the next guy, but I do like that this place is one of the few non-toxic places left on the internet.  We can disagree and even get very mildly heated but it doesn't descend into that sort of shitstorm too often.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

I remember that at the time via some lurking.  Good times.  The worst we get these days is the odd snipe at people for being too nice...I like arguing and finding one tiny point in a post I can thoroughly refute as much as the next guy, but I do like that this place is one of the few non-toxic places left on the internet.  We can disagree and even get very mildly heated but it doesn't descend into that sort of shitstorm too often.

I’m getting too old.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I remember some of the 19 stuff but obviously have no knowledge of earlier since I wasn't around.

Anyway - I love the old timer stories obviously and makes me appreciate what the threads looked like back in the day. I remember being very intimated by all of the super fast times and how much everyone ran. I was only running about 20 mpw at the time and the thought of even cracking 50 was horrifying to me.

Imagine how I feel. I believe it was DavePNW who remembers me from the Sub-3:30 thread on RWOL. I missed out on a lot of the back stories as well, and all I can think is ‘maybe one day I’ll be that old guy with the stories’ but the realist in me watches people fade away, and knows forums are losing more and more ground to modern social media. Only the Luddites stick with forums and it’s hard to attract people to them. ‘It’s this place like Facebook but you make up a name and you can actually find information because there are no algorithms determining what you need to see.’

VDOT 53.37 

I joined RW in about 2010 on the sub 1.30 thread.

I couldn't believe how serious some people were running over 60 mpw while I was at about 30. There was an old guy Jim who was awesome. I don't believe he was the famous Jim guy on the forums but another.

He really encouraged me.

Most of the arguments were arrogant men who thought that their way was right and wouldn't hear anything different.

Slammin once said we all train retarded. In NZ retarded means intellectually handicapped but in US I think it means drunk. Either way it wasn't a compliment 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

No it was the guy from Brazil who was wanted by the FBI

wait whaaat!? Was that Sam? I mean, unlikely, the guy was a PHD at age 26 and a Uni researcher IIRC. I met him back in Brazil a few years ago. It must be some other Brazilian, you know, there are a Brazilion of us 🤡

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

There was an old guy Jim who was awesome. I don't believe he was the famous Jim guy on the forums but another.

He really encouraged me.

The "famous Jim" is probably Jim2 - a gentleman and a scholar, loved by all (died from cancer a few years ago).

The other Jim that I think you're remembering was also a great guy... lived in the Bay Area, and worked for a music streaming service.  Must be in his late 60's now.  I ran with him in Central Park once.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The "famous Jim" is probably Jim2 - a gentleman and a scholar, loved by all (died from cancer a few years ago).

The other Jim that I think you're remembering was also a great guy... lived in the Bay Area, and worked for a music streaming service.  Must be in his late 60's now.  I ran with him in Central Park once.

How have I never seen this before?!?! Only read a few so far, but what a great resource! I'll add it to the front page. I especially like his article on tapering.

Flavio - I thought you were the guy from Brazil wanted by the FBI

Steve - "very mildly heated", I'll have to think about that one 

wait whaaat!? Was that Sam? I mean, unlikely, the guy was a PHD at age 26 and a Uni researcher IIRC. I met him back in Brazil a few years ago. It must be some other Brazilian, you know, there are a Brazilion of us 🤡

I had no idea Sam was on the FBI's most wanted.

I ran with him once in NYC.  Smart computer/academic guy - lived in Leeds England, then moved to Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon Univ).. Ran 3h-ish marathon, then developed hip issues.   He did not like living in the USA.  Also, he used to post incognito on Letsrun, and did detective-type investigating over there.  (I could never figure out who he was...).