2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Had a bit of a laugh at this.

I think that’s why having a decent amount of mental strength plays an important part in running a successful marathon.

Everyone has negative thoughts during those latter stages and it’s all about how you deal with it.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Had a bit of a laugh at this.

This hits entirely too close to home. Remy frequently puts out good stuff.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Fishy - a down week every 4 weeks is perfect!

Dave - I actually don't think I could do 22 miles at MP+8%, so that is incredibly impressive! Probably means you're in great shape right now

Keen - I BEAT YOU IN MILEAGE! THIS IS THE GREATEST WEEK OF MY LIFE . I'm a bit confused about your comment on the race being 100 meters long. Did someone else tell you that was the case?

I do like the doubles, and I just realized I'm going to run 91 this week with no doubles after I said I wouldn't do that. Whoops. It's just the extra showering/dressing that stinks. But going out for only 5 miles is a real pleasure.

Flavio - I thought you were going to make a joke about your wife always fainting just being around such a charming man as yourself.

Mental Strength - I think it plays a big part in every distance. Ask your casual running friend how early in the race they hit "very painful" levels. It's probably much later in the race than you experience it. But it's like asking which is more painful, low reps at heavy weights or high reps at light weights. It's just different types of mental strength.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Congratulations! We need to come up with some sort of medal, trophy, or statue to mark this occasion!

My coach had some input in helping to design the course and told me about changes from the city.

I've been going down a Remy rabbit hole since Mark posted that bit. Here's one (of many) I've liked:

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Thanks for everyone's dead zone feedback. If the main concern is doing your easy runs throughout the week too fast - that's never a concern for me. However I do often try to do my LRs at the faster end of what's comfortable, just to make it a little more of a workout, even if there's not a specific workout built into it.

Also, a milestone for me today - I hit 25,000 miles, since I started logging here mid-2012 (which is most of my running career). Or roughly a trip around the earth.

Dave

In general on mental strength - I feel like I hear that a lot from non-runners or non-marathoners - that it must take tremendous mental strength. But I think it's hard to separate the mental from the physical. If you are not properly trained for the distance/pace, all the mental strength in the world will not get you there. But you need the mental toughness just to get the training in. Yes the speed workouts and long runs, but also just grinding out the so-called "easy" miles, day in & day out.

Dave

cinnamon girl

I hit 25,000 miles, since I started logging here mid-2012 (which is most of my running career). Or roughly a trip around the earth.

I hope you enjoyed the trip!!

JMac - I haven't even mentioned my epsom salt baths . . I'm a Cancer . . water is essential to a healthy existence !!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Fishy - LOL, yeah, it’s a habit built out of discipline. I’m different in that I’m weaker than most males so I gotta work very hard to catch up.

I can see how it’s not a priority for most normal dudes.

Keen - Not sure if she’ll try again, it’s pretty bare of races here in winter.

That runner in that drawing from dumb runner looks suspiciously like you😁.

Mikkey - I’m with Dave on that one, mental strength is most useful during training.

Come race day you can only use your mental strength to run the optimal race based on your training, meaning, if you think positive you will have the optimal result, where as if you just keep thinking negative things you will tense up and run an inferior race.

You cannot will yourself to suddenly run a 2h07 marathon. In that same line of thought, once the muscles start failing, you can will yourself to plod forward in an awkward motion, but you cannot use your mind powers to change the fact that your muscles have been used beyond their limit and are now limited in motion.

Try this:

Go to a pull up bar and start doing pull ups. Keep at it, if you hit a limit, rest 2 minutes and try again. Keep this non stop until there's a point you cannot lift yourself from the ground and your entire body hurts like hell.

Now try to will yourself into doing 100 pull ups. Come back and report 😎

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I added my half next weekend, darkwave for Chicago at 3:09:59 on to the front page.

Flavio - do you need anything up there? Your name isn't on there!

Mikkey - you may have stated this when I was away in Hawaii, so I'm sorry if I missed it, but are you running Abingdon?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - do you need anything up there? Your name isn't on there!

Nope, I have nothing of note to add right now.

I might have a PR attempt in November but it's a pipe dream at the moment.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - you may have stated this when I was away in Hawaii, so I'm sorry if I missed it, but are you running Abingdon?

Sorry forgot to say that I’m not running it now as I’ve got no chance of improving on 3:06 and will focus on building my mileage back between now and December (I’m registered for the Brighton 10k in late November).  I have 3 tune up half marathons booked between Feb and March and will also run 3 or 4 Parkruns to help with speed.  Good luck next week. 👍

Flavio - I’m flattered that you think I can pull up my own body weight….I have to humiliate myself at the gym and use the assisted pull up machine. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Flavio - I’m flattered that you think I can pull up my own body weight….I have to humiliate myself at the gym and use the assisted pull up machine. 

You are a step ahead of some of us in actually setting foot in a gym.

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mikkey - I'm not that far off, I'm currently on a 4x4 regime for pull ups. Good on you for going to the gym.

Dave - I highly recommend going to the gym, the views are beautiful 😁 I'm talking about the gym equipment of course

me - The race has changed the course. It's now 10km instead of 9.7 and it starts uphill and runs in reverse. I quite like the change as I prefer when races start and end at the same place.

The course is quite picturesque, I'll post a link here so Jmac can obsess over it 😂 -> https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40416139

This image gives an idea of the grade on the uphill start and the downhill close to the finish : https://goo.gl/maps/yrK6RCPLqWwQ9j1e7

I think I should be able to run sub 40 on the flat based on that hot Half in 1h30 in May and recent workouts.

It's far from flat though with 2 nasty climbs, though now thankfully the 2nd 1.4km 0.9mi climb leads to a short flat before the downhill above and then it finishes going around the stadium.

I'm thinking 42 minutes due to being hilly and a 10am start, maybe 41 minutes if it's super foggy with strong cloud cover.

Temps will be around 20C 68F so very bad for 10k running.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Now I have TWO people to track for Chicago.

Best of luck this weekend steve. I'm excited for you.  I already have you loaded into my phone for alerts.

JMac I really did grab dress socks today. Not because you mentioned it. It was dark in the room when I was getting dressed. I checked, for some unknown reason, and was a little glad I did. I put on some fancy race shoe socks and the two feel the same. Seriously. My dress socks were the moose ones I have. Apparently I need to do laundry.

The AQI is now below 20. It was really nice to run in clean air Sunday. I'm not doing CIM. I just don't have the desire/passion/focus/commitment to do it. Hopefully I can train for an NYC qualifier at Boston 2023. It's going to be the goal so Keen and I can run NYC Marathon together.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22