2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I'm not that far off, I'm currently on a 4x4 regime for pull ups. Good on you for going to the gym.

I joined my gym over 10 years ago when they first opened as they were doing a special offer of £14.99 per month which will stay the same price for life (very odd I know)…but I’m still paying £14.99 and plan to use it more often this winter. The more time I spend in the gym the less electricity I use to heat my house. You have to be smart during this energy crisis. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Best of luck this weekend steve. I'm excited for you.  I already have you loaded into my phone for alerts.

It’s the following weekend. Don’t start panicking him. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

mmerkle

Question: What do you do when you're trying to rip some intervals on the track and there are assholes walking in lanes 1 and 2 and not moving? Is it even worth it these days? Do people listen at all even if you're polite about it? Do you just let loose and cuss them out like they deserve? I'm just getting absolutely sick of this horseshit. Blocking the inside lanes when you see someone running is so fucking rude.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Question: What do you do when you're trying to rip some intervals on the track and there are assholes walking in lanes 1 and 2 and not moving? Is it even worth it these days? Do people listen at all even if you're polite about it? Do you just let loose and cuss them out like they deserve? I'm just getting absolutely sick of this horseshit. Blocking the inside lanes when you see someone running is so fucking rude.

If this is a constant issue and you don’t want endless confrontation then maybe do your workouts in lane 3 (415m) or lane 4 (423m) and make the necessary adjustments?  It’s not ideal, but not worth getting stressed out about.

CalBears

Yeah, don't stress it. Run lane 3-4-5, just like Mikkey said and use your watch GPS - program it for the workout if you want - all the distances - it doesn't matter if you run 10 meters more or 10 meters less - it's about pace and effort - don't fret over exact seconds and milliseconds. And do not get into arguments - do yourself a favor and just have a nice workout.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It’s the following weekend. Don’t start panicking him. 

Yeah I was going to say, we need another 10 days of talking about what pace is he going to run. Don't sell us short.

RP - running 18 miles in dress socks was a disaster. I had a bloody toe and a new blister in a weird spot. Lesson learned.

mmerkle - I don't run on tracks anymore, but when I got in that situation, I just ran in the outer lanes and adjusted the distance. You should look up the markings on the tracks and learn, for example, where to start in Lane 4 if you want to run a mile. It's a huge adjustment as the markings are usually for just one lap.

ETA: looks like Mikkey and Cal beat me to it. I will echo something they said that a younger version of me certainly did not do: arguing is not worth it. Yes, you are technically right and they are in the wrong. But there's a good chance a) they don't know about it and b) you will look like the asshole by yelling at them. If it was a single person in the first lane, you could kindly ask if they wouldn't mind walking in lane 2 so you can run in lane 1, but if it's more than 1 person (or happens frequently), don't even bother.

Flavio - I'll only obsesses about it if you run a 9.9KM race and say it's a legit 10K . A 10 am start should be banned across the board unless it's the dead of winter, then I would love a 10 am race. That climb from 4.5 miles onward looks BRUTAL. I'd take a quick hill vs. 1 mile of that. I would probably slow at least 20 seconds in that mile.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

If this is a constant issue and you don’t want endless confrontation then maybe do your workouts in lane 3 (415m) or lane 4 (423m) and make the necessary adjustments?  It’s not ideal, but not worth getting stressed out about.

Agree with this. You could try asking them nicely the first time; most walkers are not even aware of any kind of track etiquette. But there are probably no rules posted that give faster people the inside lanes, and you don't own the track either, so they have as much right to be there as you do.

Dave

mmerkle

It's not so much the few seconds/meters that bother me, it's the blatant disrespect that bothers me. It seems like no one cares to avoid pissing other people off these days. Manners have just completely left the building. For what it's worth I don't usually say anything unless I'm in a bad mood.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It's not so much the few seconds/meters that bother me, it's the blatant disrespect that bothers me. It seems like no one cares to avoid pissing other people off these days. Manners have just completely left the building. For what it's worth I don't usually say anything unless I'm in a bad mood.

That's how I used to feel, but it comes down to the fact that walkers aren't even thinking about this. In their mind, you're just using the track as a place to run like they are to walk, and you can pass them on the outside. It's not even entering their mind that the track is perfectly measured and that by moving into lane 2, it's impacting your measurements. Yes, I'm sure there are some totally selfish people who say "I don't care, I'm walking here anyway," but I would bet you they are the minority and just don't know.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

We also get 10 more days of weather obsessing. And a bonus if it’s not a good forecast - how the pace might need adjusting due to the weather.

Honestly, if you only plan to walk why do you need to use the track at all, let alone lane 1?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ll have to confess that I ‘accidentally’ nudged someone off the track during the Eastbourne Track Marathon in 2019. 

The AQI is now below 20. It was really nice to run in clean air Sunday. 

Congrats! Ours has been clear for a while now. Until today - it came back in a big way. Ugh. I had a track workout this morning that I did anyway, although probably shouldn't have. But it went well!

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I understand why people walk on the track - they may need a dependable flat surface that will be softer than asphalt or concrete when they fall, and that doesn't involve crossing intersections.  And it's also helpful to be doing small circles so that they aren't too far away if they have to stop early.   When my partner was first recovering from open heart surgery, he did many daily walking loops of our local track (starting with a single exhausting 400m loop).  Of course, he used the outside lane.

My home track is very busy at times (can be 75 or more serious runners sharing the track on Tuesday mornings) - when it's full of runners trying to use lane 1, any walkers in lane 1 or 2 figure out pretty quickly that they don't want to be there.  At other times, I've politely suggested to the person that track etiquette is that walkers are in the outside lane (I present it as a safety thing for them and myself).  Often I get a good response, sometimes I don't.  I'm OK navigating around walkers in lane 1 if it's just one walker, and if they are going the right direction.  Walkers taking up lanes 1-2 are more challenging, and walkers who insist on going clockwise are problematic.

[and then there was that one time that a sprinter set up his blocks in lane 1....]

My home track is busy enough sometimes that I may have to do part of each repeat in lane 2 or 3 just to navigate around slower runners doing their own workout.  When that happens, I just note it in my log (I don't adjust the distance of the rep - it's still 800m or whatever).  In the end it doesn't matter - if my split for a repetition is 2-3 seconds longer, that's just 2-3 extra seconds of work accomplished.  Occasionally I'll be doing a rep and can't use lanes 2-3 to pass because those lanes are occupied as well.  When that happens, I just suck it up and slow down until space opens up to pass.  Frustrating situations happen in races too, so it's good practice in keeping my cool.

At my home track, it's not really feasible to do a workout in any way other than using lane 1 and swerving out to lanes 2-3 as needed.  This is because lanes 4-8 will have walkers, people doing their recovery jogs between reps, and people doing drills/strides - all right where they should be.  Try to do a workout in lane 4, and you'll just be running into people who are doing the right thing.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Fishyone

I’ll have to confess that I ‘accidentally’ nudged someone off the track during the Eastbourne Track Marathon in 2019. 

LOL I can picture it now!

My pet peeve is 4 people walking abreast and taking up the entire path.  The see me coming and make no effort to make room for me expecting that I'll run off the path and on the mud/dirt. I usually just brush the person enough to wipe off my left arm sweat on their arm....Its especially gratifying in August 

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Darkwave - your home track is very different than mine! Traffic issues are a relatively infrequent occurrence. This morning (about 6:15-7:15 AM) there was only one other person, a walker, who kept to the outside.

Dave