2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Are you a vampire?

Guilty as charged! I also have extreme photophobia and the part I like the most about the English breakfast is the black pudding 😋🧛‍♂ïļ

Jmac - If it's a show about celebrities there's a very low chance I'm going to watch it 😁

me - Taper is here. One more light workout this Saturday and then it's all about driving the car home. Niggle is still there, but I'm hoping it will somehow miraculously clear until race day, if not I might have to take a full week off after the race.

If I checked the race course correctly there's gonna be head wind in the first half. Now wind is not as big as a problem to me on account of being 20kg 45lbs heavier than most of you, but I guess head wind on the first half will help me keep an honest pace.

A PR would be 38:21, but I have run 36:40 for 9.86km, so it will be very hard to be happy after the race. Usually if I PR in a race I'm very happy for about 5 minutes. Any other result and I'm disappointed ðŸĪŠ

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio you have a 10K coming up next weekend? That seems like a big taper for a 10K. Also you're 45 pounds heavier?? That would be 190 lbs for me, but for most people on this thread that means 200+ lbs, I don't' buy it!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Best wishes on race day JMac. Hope it all works out and the niggles/injuries/concerns go away. I'll track you online and see how you're doing. I'd love to see 5:50/mi pace but it won't be this year. Maybe something better than 6:50/mi for another guaranteed entry. You, me and keen might be able to run it in 2024.

https://www.nyrr.org/tcsnycmarathon/race-day/watch-the-race

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Workout Saturday is 5x 3minutes 30 seconds at about 10k pace (8 days before the race)

That's pretty standard for me for a 10k race.

I thought you all were sub 140lbs, with the exception of Mark who's around 70kg 155lb.

I'm about 180lbs right now.

Flavio you have a 10K coming up next weekend? That seems like a big taper for a 10K. Also you're 45 pounds heavier?? That would be 190 lbs for me, but for most people on this thread that means 200+ lbs, I don't' buy it!

DavePNW

Workout Saturday is 5x 3minutes 30 seconds at about 10k pace (8 days before the race)

That's pretty standard for me for a 10k race.

I thought you all were sub 140lbs, with the exception of Mark who's around 70kg 155lb.

I'm about 180lbs right now.

165-170 here!

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I got down to 138 once but it's not really overly healthy for me. Seems like ideal racing weight is low 140s

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Ian5

Flavio-Just under 200 here.

Been a bit absent since Chicago as I've had a pretty hectic time in work,these 3 months are always crazy and I just get done what I can.

Added bonus I got a London GFA place for April so it will be a Tokyo London spring double.

Will have a good read back at some point soon.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

DavePNW

I got down to 138 once but it's not really overly healthy for me. Seems like ideal racing weight is low 140s

I listened to Ryan Hall give a talk a couple years ago. He spoke about the pressure put on elites to keep their weight down. He's about my height, 5'10" (got a picture with him!), and generally raced around 137 lb. At one point he got down to 127 lb; it had all kinds of detrimental effects on his health, and his running actually got worse.

I've held right around 170 lb for many years, and it does not seem to matter how much or how little I run - my calorie intake adjusts accordingly. I've always thought it would be better for running to be a bit lighter - most fast people seem to be a lot skinnier than me. But I've never been motivated enough to actually eat less. However for some reason I have not yet figured out, over the last ~6 months I've migrated down to 165. I weighed 160 when I graduated high school 40 years ago, so I may not be built for much less.

Dave

Interesting discussion about weight. One thing I remember on the subject was after Swim ran his then PR in Illinois (not sure what marathon it was), and had a great cycle and a great race, and then weighed himself and found he was 15 lb heavier than he thought!  He just hadn't paid attention to weight during his training.

I'm pretty skinny at 6'5" and a racing weight around 165 lbs, but have always been that way. We all have different set points.

2:52:16 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

I used to focus a bit on trying to drop a little bit of weight but more and more I've come to think actually that sort of mindset causes more harm than good.

Dave's example with Ryan Hall is a great example of how getting too focused on weight can be pretty counter-productive and lead to things like REDS.

I think you have to view weight as an outcome, not a goal.  If you are training well, and fuelling appropriately, the body is very good at adapting over a period of time - it tends to find the right equilibrium.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

mmerkle

I fluctuate from 135-140lbs but I'm also only 5 foot 8. I went through a phase a while ago where I worried about weight and I think it's a slippery slope. I go by how I feel, and a little bit by the mirror. I clean up my diet a little extra leading up to a big race and dial back on the booze. That seems to work well enough.

I think we all agree the new Ryan Hall looks much healthier 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

I remember the internet being mad and disgusted with his post-running physical condition. They claimed he gained too much weight and it was unhealthy.

i was 155 pounds this morning.  I’m 5’8. Fitbit says it was good for 16.3% body fat or BMI or something. I wrestled 160 pounds my senior year of high school, and 152 my junior year and it was kind of hard for me to stay at 152 that year.

I think we all agree the new Ryan Hall looks much healthier 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

5'8 149lbs for me

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Jmac - So the text books state you last gain vo2max fitness about 10 days before the race, though that’s not set in stone.

I’m actually running the last strong workout 8 days before, with likely some race pace simulations next week.

Do you just run hard workouts till race day with zero taper?

Weight discussion - it looks like Ian just out weighted me, but my point stands. I’m heavier and the wind has to work harder to move me than most of y’all 😎

Mark -

When running you're using your strength and cardio capacity to move your own weight forward.

Any excessive weight you carry around is what's between you and your best runner self.

Weight is an important variable and a sort of base line.

I know you were talking about one extreme end of it where people starve themselves, that’s definitely something unthinkable to me.

I guess my own version of taper madness is obsessing about weight whereas many of you obsess about weather 😂