2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

zebano

When running you're using your strength and cardio capacity to move your own weight forward.

Any excessive weight you carry around is what's between you and your best runner self.

Flavio - don't forget about the spring like effect of your tendons and muscles. It's not all "strength", some of it it is just bouncing efficiently.

https://www.futurity.org/elite-runners-bouncing-behavior-2603092-2/

Re:Weight - I ran my best in 2018/19 at 155 but I'm up in the 170-175 range now and just not worrying about it until I can stay healthy for four months. I feel like I'm trending in the right direction but haven't stepped on a scale in a month so who knows.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weight - I think fluctuating is totally fine, especially for marathon cycles where you get big on mileage and then come back down. Your metabolism does generally adjust, but putting on / taking off a few pounds here and there is fine. It's probably more of an issue if you're moving +/- 20 lbs in each cycle.

Flavio/Tapering - I actually have read V02 takes even longer, something in the range of 2 weeks, while threshold work is more like 10 days. The reason I said this seems like a big taper was I didn't know if this was a one off 10K, or your goal 10K. The way I think about this is for high school kids who run a bunch of 5Ks, that they only try to "peak" or taper for just a couple at the end of the season. Otherwise, there is very little tapering going into races, because of the lost fitness that occurs coming down from the taper and recovering from the race. Ideally you would only have a 10 day taper once a season.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Ian5

Flavio-I'm popular in a windy rave,I end up like a train with people behind me.I have been as low as 180 3 years ago so that's where I need to be,he says eating a mince pie on lunch.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

DavePNW

Flavio-I'm popular in a windy rave,I end up like a train with people behind me.I have been as low as 180 3 years ago so that's where I need to be,he says eating a mince pie on lunch.

Before I realized that was probably a typo, I was thinking you’re too old for that shit, but who am I to judge.

Dave

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Zeb - Losing weight is great, it makes your dead lift ratio bigger 😁

Thanks for that link, that's definitely a factor.

Jmac - I was close to 170lbs right before my marathon in Oct last year and I was over 190lbs around June this year. I'm closer to 180lb now. To be honest the low 170 is the outlier here, I hope to stay at or lower than 180 from now on.

Just one taper per season, is that just one taper per year? That seems a bit low. I'd think you'd taper before each of your goal races?

Ian - Windy rave train is your new nickname now! I just had some croissant with almonds on top. My brain is very happy now.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Weight stuff - At 6'1" (185.42 cm) my body seems pretty happy right around 163lbs (73.9kg). It seems no matter how much I run or eat I'm always within a couple pounds/1kg of that mark.

Mixing metrics - I listened to a podcast this morning with an English PHD who spend 1.5 years in Ethiopia running with and studying runners there (what he did his thesis over). Within just a single story he mentioned paces in min/km, min/mi, distances in miles, and temperature in C.

Next year could be a year of stupidity for me. I just found out that some very bad race ideas don't conflict with things I do annually, and I'd still have plenty of ability to set up some solid prospects for 2024 (NYC).

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Ian5

Before I realized that was probably a typo, I was thinking you’re too old for that shit, but who am I to judge.

Just realised the typo  generally too old but after Barca marathon last year we went straight out and I didn't feel too old for anything after drinking all night after a race

CK-I am good with most measurements, when I was talking to Dave and Darkwave after Chicago I think I spoke in all of them in both imperial and metric,plus dollars to pounds,

DavePNW

I just had some croissant with almonds on top. My brain is very happy now.

The best almond croissants are the kind filled with almond paste. Mmmm….

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Next year could be a year of stupidity for me. I just found out that some very bad race ideas don't conflict with things I do annually, and I'd still have plenty of ability to set up some solid prospects for 2024 (NYC).

2024 for NYC? You guys are really going to stress me out, that means I need to get a qualifying time next year! Then again, running a 1:23 should be okay for me, even if I'm semi-retired!

Flavio - once per season is a bit undefined. I would say if you're running 5Ks/10Ks, that might be 4 times per year. For every other race, I would either not taper (for 5Ks especially) or do a very mini taper for 10Ks. I don't think you can do 10 day tapers every month if you're racing a lot.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

2024 for NYC? You guys are really going to stress me out, that means I need to get a qualifying time next year! Then again, running a 1:23 should be okay for me, even if I'm semi-retired!

That should definitely be doable for you, even if retired (which makes me a little sick to think about).

Presuming no changes to qualifying times, I'll "only" have to run 1:25/2:58 since I'll turn 40 a month before the 2024 race. I should be able to knock that out fairly easily early next year if they only take times starting Jan. 1. If they take times from this year, I may not even have to go to that trouble.

Upcoming Races:

?

Ian5

Keen-Next years time are this calendar year so presume it will be the same for 2024.Myself and my wife are looking to do it for her 50th,we both are comfortably under the times this year so hopefully should be OK.

DavePNW

I need to run NYCM at some point, not sure when, since it's a pricey trip. I'm qualified for 2023 if I want, but I haven't decided on next fall's plans yet. Fortunately qualifying whenever I decide I do want to run it is not too concerning, especially with the much-easier half times. For 55-59 it's 3:23/1:36. And in 2025 I hit 60, making it even easier! of course my body could completely fall apart at any time.

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I need to run NYCM at some point, not sure when, since it's a pricey trip. I'm qualified for 2023 if I want, but I haven't decided on next fall's plans yet. Fortunately qualifying whenever I decide I do want to run it is not too concerning, especially with the much-easier half times. For 55-59 it's 3:23/1:36. And in 2025 I hit 60, making it even easier! of course my body could completely fall apart at any time.

What I'm reading is that you want to run in 2024 because it give you some time to save for the trip while also being soon enough that risk of you physically falling apart before race day is minimal.

Upcoming Races:

?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ah the old weight question again!  We are all just recreational runners on this thread and not getting paid to run, which means we could lose more pounds if we changed our diet and cut out all the carbs that are considered bad,

Do you really need pizza, beers, McDonalds, ice cream, chocolate, cake etc during a marathoning training cycle? 

In other news my new pup Tyson is celebrating 10 weeks today!  He’s a whippet and I’m hoping that one day he’ll be able to run as fast as me. ❤️

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - I'm in love . Hopefully he is a long distance runner who loves it. My current dog is a sprinter, never great running on leash but could beat almost any dog in a sprint to a tennis ball. And I agree on the diet part, except there definitely is a floor - I tried one year to get as low as possible and I just couldn't get below that 138 number. These African guys who are 120 pounds are just genetically blessed (and short).

NYC - I have told too many people not to check the weather this far out, so I am completely ignoring the 68 degree high temp currently in the forecast because it means nothing